Blend Door Actuator (heating and cooling)

SchuPo

Same problem - no heat at all.

Went to the dealer yesterday, he used his diagnostic software: "temperature - door travel too short".

With automatic climate control the actuator is located at the drivers leg area on the right side (hard to find, because of the transmission ecu right above the actuator).
I hope it's only the actuator not the blend door itself.

Dominicdlmiii

Blend door

Interesting. Having the same issue with cold from all vents. Checked everything else (rad fluid is good, lines going into/out of heater core are hot both in the engine bay and in the dash). Just not responding when being changed from cold to hot on the middle switch.

The actuator you changed seems to control where the air comes out, though...not the temp change? (Mine's a 2012 JKU...). I took that actuator off and played with the white plastic parts...all it was doing was switching vents (floor, dash, defrost).

Or am I missing something here? :D

The actuator is the exact same thing except it is pia and is mounted under driverside dash mine came unhooked there's two white levers that connect together to make up the blend

bumleftknee

Replaced the woodpecker under the driverside dash. Its a pain in the ... due to the cramped space under the dash. Needed to unplugged a number of things to just see where I needed to be to replace the actuator. Bought the actuator for $26 from AutoZone. Took about an hour to due the job.

Here are some pics to help others to find it. The Red X marks the spot.

2 silver screws hold it into place on the drivers side.

I opened up the OEM part and found that one of the post's that holds a gear into place broke off at the base.

Good luck,

O'B

1475980064010.jpg 1475980074426.jpg 1475980084392.jpg

Sent from my SM-T800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

kcdee00

Replaced the woodpecker under the driverside dash. Its a pain in the ... due to the cramped space under the dash. Needed to unplugged a number of things to just see where I needed to be to replace the actuator. Bought the actuator for $26 from AutoZone. Took about an hour to due the job.

I opened up the OEM part and found that one of the post's that holds a gear into place broke off at the base.

Good luck,

O'B

View attachment 226179 View attachment 226180 View attachment 226181

Did you have the no heat out of any vent problem or heat only on one side??

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bumleftknee

No, I still had heat and AC blowing without a problem. The only thing I had, was a knocking from the dash that was on the drivers side right by my right leg. From what I read online and watched on Youtube, it pointed to that being the culprit. After dealing with the annoying knocking for about 8 to 10 months, it feels weird to not even hear it. But the noise would start as soon as I would unlock my Jeep and then it started making the noise when ever I drove for the past month or two.

O'B
2013 JK Sahara Unlimited
2.5 R.E.
Wheels and Tires next

woof359

got a whole heater

took my 2012 in for no heat last winter, they replaced the whole heater box assembly, I'm pretty sure it was just the door servo but who knows, at least I got new anti- freeze after I screwed that up a few months earlier.

kcdee00

Ok. I've flushed the heater core and replaced the temp actuator. I'm still getting air out of the vent at max 120 degrees. What is anyone else getting? I know that it should be hotter! Anyone have any ideas on what else to check? Both metal lines going in and out of heater core are HOT so I don't want to think it's heater core but????? Thanks

PB's-12JKU

I have a 2012 jku that was having the same problem, no heat on drivers side or the defroster. I have tried flushing the heater core many times back and forth, hoses going to and from heater is hot. Checked all actuator doors, etc. Took it to the dealership and they found some sludge in the radiator. They replaced the heater core, radiator, engine oil cooler, along with engine flush. I now have heat and it has been working great ever since. Hope this is not your issue, my jeep was at the dealership for 21 days to complete the work.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

kcdee00

I have a 2012 jku that was having the same problem, no heat on drivers side or the defroster. I have tried flushing the heater core many times back and forth, hoses going to and from heater is hot. Checked all actuator doors, etc. Took it to the dealership and they found some sludge in the radiator. They replaced the heater core, radiator, engine oil cooler, along with engine flush. I now have heat and it has been working great ever since. Hope this is not your issue, my jeep was at the dealership for 21 days to complete the work.

When you say no heat out of drivers side or defroster, did heat come out elsewhere?

I'm getting the same temperature heat and a/c through all vents/defrost/floor/whatever the setting . The heat isn't as hot as it should be.... I can get 120 out of it only

PB's-12JKU

When you say no heat out of drivers side or defroster, did heat come out elsewhere?

I'm getting the same temperature heat and a/c through all vents/defrost/floor/whatever the setting . The heat isn't as hot as it should be.... I can get 120 out of it only

I was only getting warm air from the passenger side at first, the longer it stayed on the cooler it got.

Cuellar_Usmc

Good luck,

O'B

View attachment 226179 View attachment 226180 View attachment 226181

I have the same exact issue. I start the vehicle and turn on the heat. The blower blows cold air the whole time (no heat at all). The actuator on the passenger side works fine. If I switch the knob from defrost to forward heat, I can hear and see the passenger side acuator turn. When I switch the knob from cold to hot air however I cannot hear the acuator turn. At first I was puzzled because I could not see if there was and acuator on the driver side. OHhhhh..... But there is, and after taking my entire dash board apart I have located it and I still can't get to it. I ran out of time and had to put the dash together again but only to its bare minimum so I can tackle this headache on the weekend (the jeep is my only car). I've seen your pictures and I am actually impressed that you could squeeze in there to take them. Other than how much this job sucks are there any tips that may help? I saw the black computer box that looks like it can be removed. I was unsure if there is a screw behind the actual driverside duct because it seems to be in the way. Can the driver side be removed and does it have to be? Any help is really appreciated. I will post a video of the can of worms I have sitting in my driveway. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Cuellar_Usmc

I have the same exact issue. I start the vehicle and turn on the heat. The blower blows cold air the whole time (no heat at all). The actuator on the passenger side works fine. If I switch the knob from defrost to forward heat, I can hear and see the passenger side acuator turn. When I switch the knob from cold to hot air however I cannot hear the acuator turn. At first I was puzzled because I could not see if there was and acuator on the driver side. OHhhhh..... But there is, and after taking my entire dash board apart I have located it and I still can't get to it. I ran out of time and had to put the dash together again but only to its bare minimum so I can tackle this headache on the weekend (the jeep is my only car). I've seen your pictures and I am actually impressed that you could squeeze in there to take them. Other than how much this job sucks are there any tips that may help? I saw the black computer box that looks like it can be removed. I was unsure if there is a screw behind the actual driverside duct because it seems to be in the way. Can the driver side duct be removed and does it have to be removed to access the acuator? Any help is really appreciated. I will post a video of the can of worms I have sitting in my driveway. Thanks!

bumleftknee

If you take the plastic piece off that is just under the steering wheel, then take the metal shield off as well. Yes you can take off the black computer box. There are 2 nuts and you will need a good 9 to 12 inches shaft (ok stop laughing) to be able to reach it. Unhook both of the electric hook ups.

Take a look at the second picture and unhook that electric socket as well. I used a stubby phillips screw driver and that worked out well. So the screws are at the 1 oclock and 7 oclock positions. When you go to pull it out, it will still be connected to the pivot arm. The actuator has an external gear that secures to the pivot arm. The pivot arm also has a metal pin at the other end that fits into a groove that is on the blend door.

As long as you take your time and try not to get pissed off, you can have it done in 2 to 3 hours. Maybe even an hour.

If you can get the actuator from Advanced Auto or Auto Zone, it comes with a lifetime warranty. So if it happens again, you just swap them out. Plus, they both offer a MIL discount.

Yout got this Marine!!! Trust me, if a retired Air Force guy can do it, so can you.

O'B
2013 JK Sahara Unlimited
2.5 R.E.
Wheels and Tires next

bumleftknee

and yes, it is a tight mother in there. I used about 3 lights to help me see everything.

O'B
2013 JK Sahara Unlimited
2.5 R.E.
Wheels and Tires next

Cuellar_Usmc

That sucks.....I just changed mine and it works perfectly. Sorry about it not working for you. I hope it's not your heater core. Unfortunately I had already disassembled 95 percent of the dash before realized I only had to remove the knee bracket and computer box. While I was in there though I changed my speakers. I attempted to take video and will post it when I get a shot.

Dan Rivard

Have you had to go back and do anything else? I am having a similar with my 12 JK. I have blazing heat on Pass side but only warm on drivers side. I have removed glove box, I watched the actuator move. So i am wondering if it is not the core. I am 45000 mi, so of course no warranty.

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? My 2013 Sahara JK is doing the same thing. Passenger side heat is scortching hot. The drivers side is luke warm at best. I'm thinking it's the driver side blend door.

kcdee00

Ok mine is fixed!l hopefully for good!! Changed heater core and now 180degrees out of all vents!!
IMG_1477001363.851809.jpg

Cuellar_Usmc

If you dont mind me asking did you tackle this yourself or did you have the dealer do it?

Top Bottom