Blend Door Actuator (heating and cooling)

mikeprince

If you take the plastic piece off that is just under the steering wheel, then take the metal shield off as well. Yes you can take off the black computer box. There are 2 nuts and you will need a good 9 to 12 inches shaft (ok stop laughing) to be able to reach it. Unhook both of the electric hook ups.

Take a look at the second picture and unhook that electric socket as well. I used a stubby phillips screw driver and that worked out well. So the screws are at the 1 oclock and 7 oclock positions. When you go to pull it out, it will still be connected to the pivot arm. The actuator has an external gear that secures to the pivot arm. The pivot arm also has a metal pin at the other end that fits into a groove that is on the blend door.

As long as you take your time and try not to get pissed off, you can have it done in 2 to 3 hours. Maybe even an hour.

If you can get the actuator from Advanced Auto or Auto Zone, it comes with a lifetime warranty. So if it happens again, you just swap them out. Plus, they both offer a MIL discount.

Yout got this Marine!!! Trust me, if a retired Air Force guy can do it, so can you.

O'B
2013 JK Sahara Unlimited
2.5 R.E.
Wheels and Tires next
I fixed my blend door actuator today, and the quoted post describes the process really well.

After removing my actuator, I opened it up to see what had failed. Turns out one of the metal conductors that uses spring Force to contact the motor terminal had lost it's tension.

I simply removed the metal conductor, bent it to give it back its spring tension, and reassembled.

Hope this helps someone save a few bucks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mikeprince

I just repaired my blend door actuator. It wasn't as difficult as I originally made it out to be. It is on the driver side underneath the panel by your right knee. After removing the plastic panel and the metal panel below it. There is a black box that needs to be removed also with the plastic bracket. There are two screws associated with that. Also there is a vent pipe that is plastic that I removed also for the lower vents. Which just pulled out easily. Then it was a piece of cake to replace the actuator.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app
How did you remove the floor vent? I managed to do the repair with the vent in place, but it would have been a lot easier with it out!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I have a problem with one of the air door actuators. In my case it's for the door where the cabin air filter is located.
My door is broken on a pivot and the actuator makes a clicking noise.
IMG_5509.jpg
Don't mind the mud lol
I am able to get the speaker housing out and get to one screw that holds the actuator. Other screw is towards the fire wall, impossible to get to
IMG_5512.jpg

Did anybody do this repair?
How do you change the door?

I picked at it for about and hr and half, I decided to give up and do some more research. It's really hard to find any info on this.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I’ve managed to remove the blend door actuator on a 2013 2 door and am getting ready to install a replacement. Is there a procedure to orient and/or calibrate the blend door actuator after replacing. The actuator has a pretty big range of motion before mounted. Almost 360° but not quite. When mounted the travel is limited to less than 180° and there are stops molded into the mounting area that limits its up & down travel but I don’t want to damage a brand new actuator because I missed a step. There’s bit of torque placed on those stops that seems like it could easily strip the internal nylon gears.

Top Bottom