Brake line fix opinions wanted

Again, there is ZERO need to replace the entire hard line. You just need to bend it straight, cut the end off, reinstall the nut, flare the end and then reinstall. It's really simple and can be done in minutes.

Ok, I had them backwards. The driver side is $29.20 and runs from the master cylinder all the way to the flex hose at the rear wheel so it might be fun to replace. The passenger side is $12.60 and runs from a cross member towards the back to the flex line at the wheel. So it doesn't look hard to replace. At least these are the prices off of the website, I have not priced it at the dealer yet.

Here's a link to a brake line mod I posted a while back. Good way to relocate the hard line so that doesn't happen again. A wise man once said if it's predictable it's preventable.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=25901

Just ran it on top, making sure the body wasn't close so no chance of the body pinching the line if it moved. I'll try to take better pictures. Still works good after a year with no problems

As Eddie has stated, it's not to hard to repair brake lines. You can get short pieces of brake line from the auto parts store to practice on. Also picked up a great tip from the interwebs: whenever you open the brake system, if you have the brake pedal pushed down (a stick or board in between the seat and pedal), it closes off the supply from the reservoir and won't empty it out and dribble all over the place. Just crack open the bleeder valve on the caliper first, then do your repair on the line.

I will be working on fixing this tomorrow. Spoke with the dealership about it again this morning and to let them know to leave it as is. The service writer was really curious and wanted to know how I intended to fix it. He wants pictures and references so I am going to print pics and references from this thread to give to him. IMO this is a common issue and should be fixed on future Jeep Models. Ill Post pics of my repairs when I get them complete. Thanks you everyone for your input and saving me a lot of money. :beer::beer::beer: to you!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Again, there is ZERO need to replace the entire hard line. You just need to bend it straight, cut the end off, reinstall the nut, flare the end and then reinstall. It's really simple and can be done in minutes.

This is the best way to get it up and running. Brakes aren't too hard to work on.

Top Bottom