Brake Upgrade Kits

slaugero

So I have a 2018 JKU Rubicon 3.5 inch lift, 37s on 17" Raceline Beadlocks. I'm wanting to improve my braking power and safety. I have been looking at 3 different kits and am looking for some advice.

Teraflex
Power Stop
JK Dynatrac ProGrip

The Teraflex Kit recommends installing the bigger booster and master cylinder but the other 2 kits use the stock booster and cylinder. From the reviews that I have found, people seem to be happy with the simpler Power Stop or Dynatrac kits.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Steve

JT@623

Hooked
Power stop would be my first choice as far as serviceability. Personally wouldn’t by terraflex anything . Dynatrac makes quality stuff but availability can be an issue.

TrailHunter

Hooked
It was a night and day difference when I put the Pro Grips on (JKUR 35” TG’s, ATX Slabs, 3-4” lift). I no doubt feel safer on the street because of it. I have noticed I need to maintain & lube the pad glide clips or they will make noise.

Last edited:
Been running the Dynatrac pro grip kit since 2018. Great kit. Easy to install. Eats pads. Rotors are machinable a few times. I go through a set of front pads every 15k or so (I do keep pressure on the brakes when climbing tough obstacles) and I go through a set of rear pads every 25-30k. I think overall I’ve got close to 100k on this kit and I’ve had to replace the front rotors once. It’s a simple system that gets overlooked because it is in fact very simple…. But it works really well.

slaugero

Thanks for all the input. Does the big booster and master cylinder seem overkill? Im not sure why I’d need that. I occasionally pull a small off road trailer that is maybe 800 lbs.

Steve

Thanks for all the input. Does the big booster and master cylinder seem overkill? Im not sure why I’d need that. I occasionally pull a small off road trailer that is maybe 800 lbs.

Steve
Unless you’re upgrading to 60’s with huge dual piston calipers and rolling on 40’s the. It is overkill. I’ve driven a few jeeps with the big booster and MC and it will damn near put you through the windshield. On the trail it might help if you’re geared really low (think a deeply geared atlas) to help keep you from blowing through your brakes on obstacles but otherwise it’s more than you need and, if you don’t have the correct scan tool then bleeding the brake system correctly on a JK is a nightmare if you’re getting into the booster and MC

slaugero

Unless you’re upgrading to 60’s with huge dual piston calipers and rolling on 40’s the. It is overkill. I’ve driven a few jeeps with the big booster and MC and it will damn near put you through the windshield. On the trail it might help if you’re geared really low (think a deeply geared atlas) to help keep you from blowing through your brakes on obstacles but otherwise it’s more than you need and, if you don’t have the correct scan tool then bleeding the brake system correctly on a JK is a nightmare if you’re getting into the booster and MC
OK. Excellent I appreciate the advice. At this time, I don't see myself upgrading the axles and running 40's Maybe someday but not now.

jab1719

I went with dynatrac and am more than happy with them. I always make sure I have a spare set of rotors just incase though.

slaugero

I went with dynatrac and am more than happy with them. I always make sure I have a spare set of rotors just incase though.
Sounds good. Thank you. The Teraflex sounds way more then what I need so I'm leaning towards the Dynatrac or PowerStop. Plus its way more simpler and cheaper.

Thanks Again
Steve

Bear_JT

Hooked
Sounds good. Thank you. The Teraflex sounds way more then what I need so I'm leaning towards the Dynatrac or PowerStop. Plus its way more simpler and cheaper.

Thanks Again
Steve
Not to hijack your thread here but if you buy the calipers and hardware from Dynatrac, I have a set of brand new Pro Grip rotors and pads for front and rear. Depending where you live it might save you a little cash.
With that said, if anyone else is interested let me know.

Not to hijack your thread here but if you buy the calipers and hardware from Dynatrac, I have a set of brand new Pro Grip rotors and pads for front and rear. Depending where you live it might save you a little cash.
Should just be the brackets and not the complete calipers. (Just wanted to note that so there’s no confusion)

slaugero

Well thanks for the offer. When I decide on what I'm going to do I'll track you down. I'm in Oakdale, CA. How much would you ask for the rotors and pads?

jeeeep

Hooked
So I have a 2018 JKU Rubicon 3.5 inch lift, 37s on 17" Raceline Beadlocks. I'm wanting to improve my braking power and safety. I have been looking at 3 different kits and am looking for some advice.

Teraflex
Power Stop
JK Dynatrac ProGrip

The Teraflex Kit recommends installing the bigger booster and master cylinder but the other 2 kits use the stock booster and cylinder. From the reviews that I have found, people seem to be happy with the simpler Power Stop or Dynatrac kits.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Steve
I've run both the PowerStop and ProGrip.

The Power Stop were great when the Jeep was less modified, running 35's and towing a 5x8 trailer loaded, about 1000lbs.

When I put on the 37's and other weighty mods while still towing, PowerStop worked but took a little more effort (still much better than stock) and decided to upgrade to the ProGrips.

The brake pads that come with the ProGrips left a lot of brake dust, not sure if it's still the same but I now use the Wagner OEX series and they stop just as well without all the dust.

Don't let the brake pads get too thin, you can't pick up rotors at the local auto parts store. Depending on the damage, rotors can be turned but there's not a lot of material.

If you go with ProGrip, I'd recommend keeping your stock rotors as a back up, spray them with WD-40 corrosion inhibitor for storage. It's easy to pull off the ProGrip bracket and use the stock rotors if needed.

I wouldn't mess with the booster/master, friend of mine did that and it wasn't worth the little extra he gained.

slaugero

The Power Stop were great when the Jeep was less modified, running 35's and towing a 5x8 trailer loaded, about 1000lbs.

When I put on the 37's and other weighty mods while still towing, PowerStop worked but took a little more effort (still much better than stock) and decided to upgrade to the ProGrips.

The brake pads that come with the ProGrips left a lot of brake dust, not sure if it's still the same but I now use the Wagner OEX series and they stop just as well without all the dust.

Don't let the brake pads get too thin, you can't pick up rotors at the local auto parts store. Depending on the damage, rotors can be turned but there's not a lot of material.

If you go with ProGrip, I'd recommend keeping your stock rotors as a back up, spray them with WD-40 corrosion inhibitor for storage. It's easy to pull off the ProGrip bracket and use the stock rotors if needed.

I wouldn't mess with the booster/master, friend of mine did that and it wasn't worth the little extra he gained.
Thanks a lot for your advice. I have no experience with the big brake kits, so this has really been helpful.

Steve

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Well said ^^^^

All of this^^^^^

NAZ Jeeper

I have the PowerStop now with 35s. I’m wondering how they will work when I go to my 37s. If I’m not happy with the braking I’m going to put a larger master cylinder and booster in and try that out.

Top Bottom