Broken axles

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Gotcha! Axle install/replacement actually looked pretty easy. I would even feel comfotable doing it. On a normal change out that is. Have a bust shaft stuck in the housing or something, yeah, not so much..lol.. The install of the new R&P is a very simple install to, provided you have the proper tools/knowledge for the task. And thanks for clearing up the Differential C retainer as well. Is there a different retainer for our D30/44 or is it a slide in and thats it w/o a retainer period?

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Gotcha! Axle install/replacement actually looked pretty easy. I would even feel comfotable doing it. On a normal change out that is. Have a bust shaft stuck in the housing or something, yeah, not so much..lol.. The install of the new R&P is a very simple install to, provided you have the proper tools/knowledge for the task. And thanks for clearing up the Differential C retainer as well.

LOL!! I've had to pull a few busted R&P's on the trail and if you really think that's easy or easy enough to install a new one with the right tools, I think I need to have you teach me a thing or two as I'm clearly missing something. :crazyeyes:

Is there a different retainer for our D30/44 or is it a slide in and thats it w/o a retainer period?

Up front, your axles are held in place by the wheel bearing and hub nut. In the rear, your shafts are secured in place with a backing plate.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Well, I did say a normal install not a busted one..lol. And in a nice cozy shop with beverages mind you! lol.. I was just saying it looks pretty straight forward provided you have the proper tools and know how. Times taking yes, due to the many steps but it doesnt look that hard.

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I did say a normal install not a busted one..lol. And in a nice cozy shop with beverages mind you! lol.. I was just saying it looks pretty straight forward provided you have the proper tools and know how. Times taking yes, due to the many steps but it doesnt look that hard.

Well, even under the best of conditions and with some knowhow, I still prefer to have the pros do my gears. And, even at that, I have seen plenty of pros botch the job.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
For sure! I had a set of 5:13's installed in my truck. They didnt last long because the shop did a crap install. Im with you though, I would rather a shop do my install. I dont like playing with stuff thats out of my skill set like that. Maybe after learning and doing a few, sure. Not right now though...lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For sure! I had a set of 5:13's installed in my truck. They didnt last long because the shop did a crap install. Im with you though, I would rather a shop do my install. I dont like playing with stuff thats out of my skill set like that. Maybe after learning and doing a few, sure. Not right now though...lol

I'll tell ya, I have seen enough botched jobs that I've been tempted to just do the work myself many times now. Fortunately, we work with Off Road Evolution now and they have always done great work on our Jeeps so, I leave it to them. Plus, their $999 including gears special that they offer is hard to beat. :yup:

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Yes, thats very tough to beat..dang.. He needs a new shop in Phoenix dammit..lol

Top Bottom