broken windshields!

Josh27

Nope, not OEM. I have heard that OEM is better but then again ive heard that OEM is lesser quality. Only thing I know for sure is it costs more.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I am on windshield #3 and it is now cracked and will get #4 sometime soon. The first one I had replaced (replacement glass) did the infamous whistling and had safelite look at it, remove it and put it back in several times. That didn't fix it so they ordered an OEM windshield. Got that in and it still whistles so I decided just to deal with it instead of the headache trying to get it fixed.

While talking to them, I asked questions regarding the replacement and OEM glass (thickness, size, etc) and they said that any auto glass used in the United States has to meet certain requirements regardless where it was made, OEM or replacement glass. As far as price goes, my quotes were about $10 more for an OEM windshield.

Josh27

I've used safelite, as well as some people I know. Everyone I spoke with at safelite treated me like a moron.....everyone is entilted to form their own opinions, but I wilk never recommend them to anyone.

I am on the fence about safelite even though they are the only company that I have dealt with. Generally they have done good work/customer service for us up until my jeeps windshield. When it was replaced the first time and started whistling, they were more than happy to look at it and get it fixed for me. So they took it back out (several times) and put new glue on and adjusted it when they put it back in but that didn't fix it. The main thing that irritated me was each time I contacted them I spoke to a different person that gave me different information. One guy said they had a seal that they could put in the gap and another guy said they couldn't do that. One guy said he had to re-do several jeep windshields for the whistling problem and another said that he has never had a problem with them.

When I took it in to them for the 3rd time the guy I talked to tried blaming the whistling on anything and everything other than the windshield (light bar, bumper, freedom panels) and offered to put tape all around the windshield gap to see if that would fix it. I kept telling him that I already did the tape thing and I KNOW it is the windshield also told him nothing has changed on my jeep for the past year at the time except for some stickers and the windshield-- Still didn't believe me. So we got it taped up and went for a drive, didn't make a sound. The guy acted all surprised just to cover his dumb ass and offered to order me an OEM windshield. I told him to do that and left.

So after having the OEM installed it still whistles and I just gave up trying to have them fix it.

Moochie

That's messed up that your having whistling. I wonder why? I'm on my 4th or 5th (I can't remember) with no problems. 2008

tonytony9

I have had a few nicks in my windshield. You can call your insurance company as soon as it happens and they will send someone out to fill it for you. The fill helps prevent the nick from turning into a crack. Trick is it must be done shortly afterwards. I believe the flat design of the windshield makes it more vulnerable to getting hit by rocks & ect...

Josh27

That's messed up that your having whistling. I wonder why? I'm on my 4th or 5th (I can't remember) with no problems. 2008

Yeah I dont understand either. I have a 2008 as well. My friend had his replaced on his 2007 and didn't have any problems. I have read a lot of people have problems with whistling but nobody seems to know what is causing it.

loscann48

Yeah I dont understand either. I have a 2008 as well. My friend had his replaced on his 2007 and didn't have any problems. I have read a lot of people have problems with whistling but nobody seems to know what is causing it.

The tech from the company I use in CT said he has had people come to him because their windshield whistled after being replaced...he doesn't quite know exactly what caused it, except he did say that every one he replaced had sloppy installs. Once he said he installed it properly the whistling went away.

GuillaumeC91

Hi , I just bought a new 2014 wrangler an because of these post about windshields I've looked at mine closely an my windshield is not flat ,but is formed like a bubble an not at all flat .
I hope this new design will last better . Duane

Mmmm has anybody confirmed this? Any pictures? I wonder if the new 2014 windshield would fit a 2013? If they are indeed different, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot! :thumbup:

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

loscann48

I just want to say I think I may have got a good windshield this time...some sort of genetic mutant or something. It has been almost 5 weeks since my 4th windshield of 2014 and it hasn't cracked....I have seen 2 small stones hit and bounce off my windshield and not even a small scratch! Knocking on wood as I type...:thumbup::beer:;)

LoPo

Caught the Bug
I've had a crack across mine for 2+ years. I'm probably going to replace it this spring/summer, knowing full well it'll be cracked again in a year. :mad: It'll be windshield #4.

Elusive

Just have to chime in. Mines broken too.
the rubicon windshield I have with the little rock crawler in the corner and the jeep grill above the mirror is $100 more. It's cool, but I don't know about $100 cool.

Armydog

Haven't broken one on the pumpkin yet..... But I don't dd the girl. Went through a bunch on the 98 Sahara and the early CJs. My step son has a 09 JKUR and is on his fourth!!! It's the price of good looks I guess

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

loscann48

Just have to chime in. Mines broken too.
the rubicon windshield I have with the little rock crawler in the corner and the jeep grill above the mirror is $100 more. It's cool, but I don't know about $100 cool.

Depends....don't go to the dealer, find a local glass place that just happens to be the local distributor as well as the installer. The place I use installs generic of same or better quality unless you specifically request OEM through insurance. When told them I didn't want to pay the $100 extra when my insurance covers the generic in full. That's when he informed me they were a local supplier and that many of the area Jeep dealerships get the OEM glass from them because the hold some in stock. He said that because they are the local supplier, they don't charge the markup that the dealers or other windshield installers do, therefore my insurance will cover 100% through them.

aircrew423

uvazy6ed.jpg

Cracked mine sitting in the driveway waiting for my wife, heard a pop looked up and there it was. Getting it replaced Monday, thank god for glass coverage!!!

Top Bottom