Browns Camp-PNW! April 11th

Petthefish

I would love to go how would a stock JKU sport do I know I could not do the big stuff but would love to run some trails. I have rock rails recovery points straps and our jeep has the 17 inch rims with BFG mud terrains already on it. Sorry I'm a newby but would love to go on a run

dwmgcs

I would love to go how would a stock JKU sport do I know I could not do the big stuff but would love to run some trails. I have rock rails recovery points straps and our jeep has the 17 inch rims with BFG mud terrains already on it. Sorry I'm a newby but would love to go on a run

You would do fine, there are bypasses for most of the really tough stuff and its fun to just watch others do some of the harder sections, you should come along.

ClarksAdventures

You should come. It's a great area to get your feet wet and push your jeep as much as you feel comfortable.
It's a great group of guys, with a wide range of jeeps. It would be great to have you. Just let me know and we can add you to the list.

ClarksAdventures

Picked up a Go Pro last week to take on this run, hopefully we will get some good video of everybody and got extra batteries too since that seems to be an on going problem, lol

Haha, it's not that we didn't have batteries, we just need to remember to charge them. 😜😜

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Haha, it's not that we didn't have batteries, we just need to remember to charge them. 😜😜

The GoPro cameras are great, but their battery life sucks. Something I did that eliminates battery problems is run a USB cable from either your Nav Unit or a USB plug to the camera. This way it is always powered and keeps the battery fully charged when/if you want to run off battery only. Usually you can route the cord through the door jam out to the camera. This method does require cutting a small hole in the side of the case to allow the cable to plug in to the camera.

dwmgcs

The GoPro cameras are great, but their battery life sucks. Something I did that eliminates battery problems is run a USB cable from either your Nav Unit or a USB plug to the camera. This way it is always powered and keeps the battery fully charged when/if you want to run off battery only. Usually you can route the cord through the door jam out to the camera. This method does require cutting a small hole in the side of the case to allow the cable to plug in to the camera.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, was trying to figure out how to do it without modifying the rear cover but it probably is no big deal to have a hole in the cover as long as it stays dry, always a challenge in Oregon, knowing someone else has done it successfully without issue tells me to go ahead with it.

dwmgcs

Any way I can get more info on that run?

Most of the information is on the first post, if there is something more specific just ask, I,m sure you get any answers you need and if you would like to go along, just post that your in and ClarksAdventures will put you on the list thats on the first post

Tree Frog

A couple of thing to note about the GoPro's. Our nav unit USB ports do not produce enough power to maintain the GoPro from the specs I found. The usb port on our nav units is to transfer files.
If you try to use it to power up your GoPro you will soon learn that the GoPro will die when the battery runs out.
The nav unit max output is 500mA or less.
The GoPro needs approx. 1 amp to both run and maintain the charge.
I use the plug in power port (looks like a cigarette lighter port) located inside the consul. Then run a usb cable from there out on the passenger side there is a small cut out thing to allow a cable to pass through without getting squished.
Ran it out and strait down, then under the consul, up to the dash, followed a route underneath the glove box and then up the pass. A pillar and along the windshield trim to the rear view mirror area.
I have a mount behind my rearview. Note to turn OFF your red LED's or they will bounce off the windshield.
It was set up this way for use as an In Car Camera.
This power port is always on and will charge your GoPro even with the key off and the camera off.

Of course if all your wanting to do is to charge it in the vehicle and then use it outside you can always just plug it into the power port and then throw it in the consul.

In order to be able to plug the cable in to the camera without drilling or cutting into my waterproof housing I purchased a Skeletonized housing from GoPro. This allows you to leave the housing on and still hook up the cable as well as remove and insert Micro SD cards. I wanted to save my waterproof housing for scuba diving.

dwmgcs

I took a look at that skeleton housing and that seems like the way to go, now I just need to figure out where I want to mount it, I saw a video someone had with it mounted outside above the driver and back a little bit and I really liked the view from that position but that might not be practical but I will look at a few different spots. I appreciate all the input.

David1tontj

Yeah- I'm not a maybe... I'm a no... We have a condo rented in sun river that weekend for a family trip. Its not likely to cancel.

USMCvet

Banned
I'm still feeling my non-computer navigating ass through this cyber world. I'll get there though at some point. Thanks for the info. I'll look for the original post. Much appreciated.

ClarksAdventures

I'm still feeling my non-computer navigating ass through this cyber world. I'll get there though at some point. Thanks for the info. I'll look for the original post. Much appreciated.

Will you be joining us as well? We'd love to have you. Let me know and I can add your name to the list.

Top Bottom