Build of Lone Star, the 1950 Cj3a

Lone Star

While waiting on gas tank, I need to try and get the seats put in. They are aftermarket and slightly bigger than the stock seats. 2 issues, (1)the ginormous steering wheel. And (2)the seats are so far forward that I can't move my feet from one pedal to the next. So I am going to try and figure out the best way to move the seats farther back. I started prepping the rear wheel wells for some changes to come by removing some rinoliner! Good news is there is no rust in these spots! IMG_2170.jpg best part is that with slight scrapping it was fairly easy to come right off. A lot easier than I thought anyway. IMG_2171.jpg IMG_2173.jpg I probably need to do more but, it's slow process hopefully we will get the placement for the seat frame worked out this week. Another note I will be checking all the brake drums and cylinders as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Lone Star

So once I saw how the rinoliner was coming off. I decided while I'm sitting around waiting for the other projects I could go ahead and start the process of taking the liner off of the windshield in prep for getting a new one put in. This project I won't need the help of other hands so I'll keep working on it. This is how far I got today. Tight little spots.

Before
IMG_2113.JPG

After

IMG_2179.jpg IMG_2178.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
Yea it is. Wishing the gas tank would get on it's way so I could get it going and drive it. Ordered it from Walck's 4wd on Monday. Still hasn't said it's been shipped yet. Anyone have any experience with them? Or preferences?

I have no experience with them but I know Eddie uses Omix Ada for a lot of his old iron. I believe they have one of the largest selections of OEM and reproduction parts. I'd check them out.

BTW Great project can't wait to see how it turns out.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Yea it is. Wishing the gas tank would get on it's way so I could get it going and drive it. Ordered it from Walck's 4wd on Monday. Still hasn't said it's been shipped yet. Anyone have any experience with them? Or preferences?

I've used them for my fc170. It's been hit or miss. Their packing can use some work. Seems like a mom and pop shop. But they know their old Jeep parts for sure.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I have no experience with them but I know Eddie uses Omix Ada for a lot of his old iron. I believe they have one of the largest selections of OEM and reproduction parts. I'd check them out.

BTW Great project can't wait to see how it feels out.

Omix is one of the few that still makes parts, but you have to buy them from Quad, 4wd or walcks. I've had good luck on pricing on Amazon,

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just started catching up on this thread - what a cool project :thumb:

As mentioned, Omix-Ada has helped me out a lot on both my CJ5 and CJ3B. They have a TON more parts for a 3A too.

Lone Star

BTW Great project can't wait to see how it feels out.

Thanks, yea I noticed on walcks site they sell some omit ada stuff. I went with the gas tank from walcks because I had a sale and free shipping, so I picked up a brand new metal tank tax and shipped for $165

Figured that was hard to beat. Just waiting to see when it will eat here.

Lone Star

Just started catching up on this thread - what a cool project :thumb:

As mentioned, Omix-Ada has helped me out a lot on both my CJ5 and CJ3B. They have a TON more parts for a 3A too.

Thanks Eddie, I'm excited about this project too! Do you order omix-ada stuff directly from their website or other places?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, yea I noticed on walcks site they sell some omit ada stuff. I went with the gas tank from walcks because I had a sale and free shipping, so I picked up a brand new metal tank tax and shipped for $165

Figured that was hard to beat. Just waiting to see when it will eat here.

Like piginajeep said, they're a ma and pa shop. I've had to contact them to see what's going on and on more than one occasion but they always got back to me and moved things along. A lot of the times, they'll hold on to an order if an item is back ordered but I've gotten them to split the order and send what they have now and the rest later. Sucks but in the world of old iron, you kinda have to work with what you've got.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie, I'm excited about this project too! Do you order omix-ada stuff directly from their website or other places?

You're lucking in that you have a 3A as there are a ton of parts made for it. I've been ordering a lot of my parts from places like Walcks, Kaiser-Willys, ebay, Amazon and the like.

Lone Star

Like piginajeep said, they're a ma and pa shop. I've had to contact them to see what's going on and on more than one occasion but they always got back to me and moved things along. A lot of the times, they'll hold on to an order if an item is back ordered but I've gotten them to split the order and send what they have now and the rest later. Sucks but in the world of old iron, you kinda have to work with what you've got.

Thanks that's good to know. I may have to give them a call, at the very least to be informed about my order.

Lone Star

You're lucking in that you have a 3A as there are a ton of parts made for it. I've been ordering a lot of my parts from places like Walcks, Kaiser-Willys, ebay, Amazon and the like.

Also good to know. Question for you guys, I think I am going to need to replace my fuel pump. Is there any pros or cons to the glass top vs metal top? $49-$80 difference roughly

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Also good to know. Question for you guys, I think I am going to need to replace my fuel pump. Is there any pros or cons to the glass top vs metal top? $49-$80 difference roughly

The top of the pump has a filter in it, not one I would run exclusively and in place of a true fuel filter but there is one in there and the glass top will allow you to see what's inside. The metal top will require you to remove the top to see inside but that's all.

Lone Star

The top of the pump has a filter in it, not one I would run exclusively and in place of a true fuel filter but there is one in there and the glass top will allow you to see what's inside. The metal top will require you to remove the top to see inside but that's all.

Ok, good to know. The glass one I will probably end up getting. It's quite a bit cheaper, and my uncle and I talked about adding in a separate fuel filter in the line as well.

Lone Star

Some goodies came in the mail today, I ordered fuel pump, inline fuel filter, new sending unit and a new 12v gas gauge. Ordered the above on Thursday got here today, still waiting on gas tank, should get here Tuesday. IMG_2204.jpg all of it is already installed along with new wiring for the sending unit. I'll. E trying to update wiring where I can. It's a rats nest under dash. But I bypassed what I believe is a electric motor for fuel line? If anyone can tell me what this is, I bypassed it in the fuel line and took it out. I have the fuel line going straight from tank to fuel pump (bypassing part I took out) then from fuel pump up through inline filter and to carb. Is this correct? IMG_2203.jpg IMG_2204.jpg IMG_2206.jpg

Last edited:

Lone Star

I also got some more work on moving the seats back. I outlined and cut my wheel wells out. Test fitted seats, I need so widen the wholes out just a little bit, and get gas tank in so I can figure out exactly where to re extend the front frame legs. But mostly just needed another set of hands. So hopefully in the next few days I'll have the help I need to finish them out in time for the new gas tank and finally take "Harvey" for a test drive. IMG_2198.jpg IMG_2200.jpg IMG_2201.jpg IMG_2202.jpg my plan is to just move my cut outs backwards about 2" and then reattach them and fill in the gaps in front with some new metal. Shouldn't give me any problems with any wheel travel I may ever get back there.

Top Bottom