C Gussets install...Wait...What

J

JKDream

Looking at those welds he may need new ball joints. it would suck big time to go on a trip and have your ball joints fail

If anything they might have gained some slop but I don't think they'd be on the border of complete failure after those welds.
They look quite under penetrated and not enough heat - which causes the splatter.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Wow, what an idiot. Sucks that you will have to get this redone. I would want a set of ball joints to be installed with the new set after welding. Thats a lot of heat 2 times to put into the factory ones. Not to mention it would probably be even easier to get this mistake fixed without having the ball joints to worry about. I would go on your trip, then have this fixed.

twoxstreem

Finally ready for my Moab trip next week, driving down from Seattle to wheel with my cousins.....Big brake Kit (check)....New tie rod to fix the bent one (check)....TrackBar and Sector Shaft brace, got a good deal and said why not (check)....recenter the rear axle (check).....and finally Gusset the C's yesturday (check).....I get home from picking up my Jeep from the shop, after they welded the gussets on, to take another look at the job they did and something just didn't look right. I texted these pics to my cousins and buddy and they agreed something looked off.

With a 5 sec internet search that we all did at the same time, we all texted back within 5 sec's of each other and said they they are welded Upside down!::eek:

I immediately took it back down to the shop where at first he said that they (the brackets) wouldn't fit in the other way so he did it like that. He tried to tell me that at least they will still be stronger than stock and that he would trim up the bottom edge if I wanted......hmmmmm........at first I agreed to that (He's a family acquaintance, so I didn't want to make thinks awkward, even though this was his screw up)....I then went out to m y Jeep and stewed about it for a few min then I went back in to say I want it done right. I leave next Thursday so he said they would get it in on Monday to fix it. Now a 2 to 3 hour job will now be an all day project.

So should I be concerned about damage to the C's ?..... :doh:

I remember when i did mine i had a 2 sets on hand one set of EVO and one Set of Synergy gussets. The Synergy were easier to fit and weld around the bottom of the coil perch and i used them. the EVO gussets were def a more difficult fit but i don't remember why at this time.

Brianmly

I remember when i did mine i had a 2 sets on hand one set of EVO and one Set of Synergy gussets. The Synergy were easier to fit and weld around the bottom of the coil perch and i used them. the EVO gussets were def a more difficult fit but i don't remember why at this time.

Mine are the Artec which I heard are generally a tight fit

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Mine are the Artec which I heard are generally a tight fit

I've tried all three (friend's Jeeps) - every one of them needing some massaging with a hammer to get past the springs at full droop.
It's actually better to pull the springs when you weld them, because it's damn near impossible to weld the spring bucket with them in.

10abadilla/jk

Looking at those welds he may need new ball joints. it would suck big time to go on a trip and have your ball joints fail
True I saw your post on splatter. One solid full weld. The plastic in the ball joints are most likely shot. Worse case scenario is go to orielly or AutoZone and get some moogs and slap them in. That's probably the quickest and best option being that he is pressed for time.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

10abadilla/jk

I agree. I have synergy. And they fit like a glove and were really easy to weld.

jeeeep

Hooked
If anything they might have gained some slop but I don't think they'd be on the border of complete failure after those welds.
They look quite under penetrated and not enough heat - which causes the splatter.

if they've gained some slop - maybe it's just my OCD but I'd definitely grind off the gussets and install new ball joints

If you're going to Moab, depending on the trails you plan to run you're going to put a lot more stress on the ball joints.

Just keep in mind if you get front wondering or even DW it's likely your ball joints at this point.

10abadilla/jk

if they've gained some slop - maybe it's just my OCD but I'd definitely grind off the gussets and install new ball joints

If you're going to Moab, depending on the trails you plan to run you're going to put a lot more stress on the ball joints.

Just keep in mind if you get front wondering or even DW it's likely your ball joints at this point.
Agreed^^^^^

Brianmly

Just dropped the Jeep back off to get fixed......I went ahead and splurged and got the Dynatrac Ball joints and they are going to install them......hopefully not upside down

JKU Arizona

Just dropped the Jeep back off to get fixed......I went ahead and splurged and got the Dynatrac Ball joints and they are going to install them......hopefully not upside down

wait a minute. They screwed up you're first install now you're going to have them install a set of $500 ball joints and hoping they don't screw them up???

What if they install the ball joints before removing and welding you're C's?

If they are not familiar with Dynatrac ball joints i wouldn't have them install them.

GraniteCrystal

wait a minute. They screwed up you're first install now you're going to have them install a set of $500 ball joints and hoping they don't screw them up???

What if they install the ball joints before removing and welding you're C's?

If they are not familiar with Dynatrac ball joints i wouldn't have them install them.
Too late now...

Brianmly

Yep....too late now.......Really though, he did know that he needs to do the removal and welding first of the C's and then take care of the ball joints… I did make sure of that before I left.
Holding my breath.

Brianmly

He was great about it and installed the new ball joints for me… My other ones were trashed....
Question about new ball joints… Do they need a break in period? These are tight but seem to wander just a bit. I know my camber is off just a little bit so it could be that it's more pronounced now that I feel it

Last edited:

black pearl

Hooked
He was great about it and installed the new ball joints for me… My other ones were trashed....
Question about new ball joints… Do they need a break in period? These are tight but seem to wander just a bit. I know my camber is off just a little bit so it could be that it's more pronounced now that I feel it

I believe that is normal to be tight there is a thread on here some place that someone was having the same issue

Top Bottom