California or Colorado

groovebus

Both have their pros and cons. CO has awesome scenic mountains and canyons to wheels in, but CA has alot more diverse terrain due to the fault lines. You can go to the deserts, mountains or beaches all within about a 2 hour drive of each other. Depending on your duty station. I'm guessing Colorado Springs if you are going to CO, there is always Pike's Peak.

stweasel

The Army flew me out of Travis many times and the location between San Fran and Sacramento means close to the coast and the mountains. You have Big Sur to the south. The Rubicon, the Sierras. Lake Tahoe, Reno and even Eddy are just a few hours away. The High Desert of Nevada is spectacular. The bad part of Cali is high taxes and cost of living.

TheStick

OMG thank you so much for being extremely useful and funny as hell at the same time! :clap2: Gave me a great laugh :cheesy:

My Fiancee loves San Francisco (though I think it's because she's a Giants fan lol).

Glad you enjoyed it. I had a few last night :D

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
The Army flew me out of Travis many times and the location between San Fran and Sacramento means close to the coast and the mountains. You have Big Sur to the south. The Rubicon, the Sierras. Lake Tahoe, Reno and even Eddy are just a few hours away. The High Desert of Nevada is spectacular. The bad part of Cali is high taxes and cost of living.

I've actually thought about Vegas too lol but yeah you pretty much nailed all the reasons why I'd like Travis/Beale. Plus her family being like 15 minutes away. God, just when I'm thinking I'm leaning towards CO being reminded of the ocean and stuff makes me want to pick Cali lol

Ldogg

There is diverse terrain here too. Go south and west of the springs and you get into sand dunes national park, then there is the San Juan mountain range and all those epic passes. Just west of Colorado springs(like 30 minutes) are a bunch of trails and access roads with some hardcore trails, then north and west is a bunch more. They range from rocky to extreme. Moab is about 6-7 hours up i25 and out i70.

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
The good news is I have a family friend looking into it for me (much higher ranking than I and he's in the right field of work to see this kind of stuff lol) so heres to hoping he can hook me up with either!!! At this point I just said let me know if anythings available and if he gets back to me saying both areas are, I will hopefully get to pick :D I'm hoping!!!!

SaddleTramp

I know it's not what you asked but about Nevada? We live in Vegas and I'm from Wyoming and still have family there we victor often. Cheaper living than Cali, better weather than other areas, great year round wheeling, don't have to shovel snow, no road salt (ha), close enough to California and Wyoming both???

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
I know it's not what you asked but about Nevada? We live in Vegas and I'm from Wyoming and still have family there we victor often. Cheaper living than Cali, better weather than other areas, great year round wheeling, don't have to shovel snow, no road salt (ha), close enough to California and Wyoming both???

Yeah like i mentioned a few posts up, I thought about Vegas and wouldn't be opposed but for my job, the possitions at Vegas' AFB would suck lol if it came down to that or friggin South Dakota, New Mexico, Arizona, etc I'd sure as hell take Vegas hahaha

stweasel

I've actually thought about Vegas too lol but yeah you pretty much nailed all the reasons why I'd like Travis/Beale. Plus her family being like 15 minutes away. God, just when I'm thinking I'm leaning towards CO being reminded of the ocean and stuff makes me want to pick Cali lol

Vegas is awesome, it's a beauty that takes getting used too if your used to green things as everything is just different shades of brown. That being said its surrounded by beautiful mountains, lots of trails, and you are in a days drive of about 10 national parks so if the Colo/Cali fall thru we would love to have you at Nellis. Oh and the Nellis Dunes would be right out your back door

Last edited:
A few things from someone who lives in Northern California and loves Colorado. Although, I have never wheeled in Colorado.

Politics of California suck as most know, however you may not have to deal with this much being in the military.

Funny, as crappy as they are. Vehicle restrictions aren't bad here. Heavily modded jeeps every where, no problem.

Plus side you have great mountains and wheeling plus the ocean. I still love having just a 2 hr drive to the coast. And the Northern California coast is beautiful.

Colorado is gorgeous and from what I have seen there is a ton of great wheeling.

Pot is fully legal is Colorado, medicinal only in California. Probably doesn't matter for you. Or at least I hope our military isn't high.

Speaking of drugs, tons of great breweries and wineries in California.

Snowboarding or skiing, both are great.

I'll admit. I love San Francisco. Cool town.

Denver is cool too, but different.

I've traveled quite a bit and Tahoe still blows me away. As does Yosemite.

Colorado has coors. I keep them in business.

California has both the lowest and highest points in the lower 48.

The lowest point, while some might say is Death Valley, is actually the fact that jerry brown is in his 3rd term as governor and will most likely get a 4th.

California has a grizzle on its flag but we killed them all. So less chance of being eaten alive.

Although we do have too many mountain lions since the libs stopped almost all hunting. So now you're back to being eaten alive.

IDK. It's a toss up.

Hilarious! Yet accurate. ;)

texasdave

I just moved to Colorado from Texas last month. I absolutely love this place. In my opinion Colorado is the only option. I lived in California in the Marines, but that was almost 20 years ago. California is just different than Texas and Colorado. I've met a bunch of people here from Texas and other than not having a Whataburger, I'm staying….. lol

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
@ stweasel yeah I sure as hell wouldn't be disappointed to get stationed there lol

@ Texasdave, where at in CO? Colorado Springs area?

Like I said y'all, I've put in a request with a family friend to look into it for me and try to help if he can. He knows the bases I want and he's gonna be coming to my wedding so he knows I couldn't be there until September lmao I'm hoping I'll at least hear something by the end of the day tomorrow and maybe have orders by next Wednesday hahaha STILL HOPING!

Last edited:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I'm moving to Evergreen, Colorado in a couple of months and I'm gonna get back to my roots which is wheeling the Rockies.
It's Colorado for me. However, if I had to move to Cali I'd choose Norcal. It's jaw dropping, but it's still California.:twocents:

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
So far, I haven't heard anything today but I do know how slow the Air Force is with their Personel units so I'm giving it a good week. if I don't hear anything then I'll expect to stay here for a few more years haha

Top Bottom