California's Record-Breaking New Solar Plant Is Already Irrelevant

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Oh, and since you asked, California is one of the largest economies, and the feds will always try to prop it up if the SHTF, so as a federal tax payer, it does concern me when one of the most populated states in the country is on the verge of collapse.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
They spent millions on new steam tubes built by Mitsubishi in Japan. After installation the tubes cracked (bad engineering) and leaked radioactive water. Due to costs and red tape it was more economical to shut it down.

Ouch, I wonder why they didn't just build the tubes on their own....

JK's JK

Banned
They spent millions on new steam tubes built by Mitsubishi in Japan. After installation the tubes cracked (bad engineering) and leaked radioactive water. Due to costs and red tape it was more economical to shut it down.

But your talking about Japan and the safety is so huge compared to USA. I personally haven't been to the Nuclear plant yet but it's a safe process. As long as it's managed correctly.

(I just want to make it clear that I am not a spokes man for any company)

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
But your talking about Japan and the safety is so huge compared to USA. I personally haven't been to the Nuclear plant yet but it's a safe process. As long as it's managed correctly.

(I just want to make it clear that I am not a spokes man for any company)

I just find it odd that we are not capable of building our own powerplants and oversee that they are done right.

Moochie

Ouch, I wonder why they didn't just build the tubes on their own....

It was a massive job. Access had to be opened up in the concrete containment walls. The tubes were part on new steam turbine replacements - 2 reactors. There is legal action being taken against Mitsubishi.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
It was a massive job. Access had to be opened up in the concrete containment walls. The tubes were part on new steam turbine replacements - 2 reactors. There is legal action being taken against Mitsubishi.

Oh Im sure it was a mammoth project, just that it saddens me that even things like infrastructure are being outsourced...it seems like we all care about made in the USA suspension, lights and bumpers, but when things really matter, we outsource the project....seems sad.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I didn't take it as instigating...I just probably wouldn't have looked at the thread again but for being quoted.

A lot of things to respond to in that post, and don't have the time to respond to each. However this I agree with 100%...

A little fiscal responsibility would do the state some good.

JK's JK

Banned
I just find it odd that we are not capable of building our own powerplants and oversee that they are done right.

At work today I wanted some trees to be cut down for a Radio repeater to be installed for the near future. To give you the short and skinny, just found this out today, when it some how effects, disturbes, destroys or related to habitats, eco systems, pollution or related, anyone can sue on the behalf of that species, eco system, habitat or related. And if they loose or win a law suite, the federal government will reimburse you fully. If anyone can sue, even if they dont have the money, its no loss to them. Its a federal law!!!

(And no I'm not a lawyer nor do I know law)

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug

:thinking: One word...Fukushima.

Moochie

I meant fixing it or whatever needed to get done.

I think Bechtel was still doing all the maintenance on this station. Mitsubishi made the new replacement tubes in the replacement generators. Maybe the complete generators - I'm not sure of this.

RubyinUtah

The Fukushima reactors are not a safe design and sadly they were made by an American company GE. Most countries have prohibited the use of the GE suitcase reactors because of their overall lack of containment capabilities.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Where I live in CALIFORNIA a 1 Billion dollar desalinization plant is being built. It will supply 7% of the San Diego area water needs. We live in a desert with the majority of our water imported from the Colorado River. Thanks for all the kind words about our State!
http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2014/Jan/07/carlsbad-desalination-plant-drought-poseidon/

Nice pic!!! I used to work there Moochie!!! All those little goodies floating out in the water :)

Funny thing is the company where I work now was recently acquired by a NJ based company that decided to shutdown all operations in NJ and relocated to SD. Apparently it must not be all that bad out here.

Top Bottom