Can't decide 4.88 vs 5.13 with 35s on Dana 30

longarmwj

Glad to know your the type of guy that would turn someone away just because you don’t wanna help fix the jeep or tow them off the trail at the day. :naw:

Exactly what I was thinking. Remind me never to wheel with that guy :shock:

TrailHunter

Hooked
Kind of off subject but slightly relevant - I just happened to watch “Rubicon - A Legendary Jeep Trail & Offroad Adventure” again last night... in part 2, Trail Bud Sheared his (I think) Stock D44 tube, running 37x13.50’s... Then Eddie stitch Welds a couple box wrenches to the two halves... and they successfully finish the trail... That was Bad Ass. [emoji1360]

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Let me put it this way. If I find out your running a D30 with 5.13s, you would be officially uninvited to any wheeling event I was planning. I’ve seen it way too many times. It’s gonna break with any slightly challenging trail and end the day prematurely for everyone else. Please don’t. Go 4.88 max on D30 or save your money and go D44. Please do yourself (and others) the favor.

Understand the sentiment. It's how I feel about folks that want to go wheeling without a spare. May look cool, but everyone/someone gets screwed when their turn for a flat comes 'round.

In this case, how I'd approach it with the person would depend on what we were expecting to do for the day. If the trails will be mild, and they can get home on 2 wheel drive, or be easily towed, I'd rather they be with a group than off on their own. A dash of common sense is required though. If the trails are expected to be strenuous, and it's clear their rig isn't robust enough, there may be an uncomfortable discussion. This is the same reason some events have minimum requirements.

Hard to imagine anyone getting 5.13's installed on D30s without being warned by folks in this forum, other forums, or by the installer. Things break and the community coming together to help out is a big part of what it's all about. But if someone's going to persist in going their own way...

A.J.

FWIW I spent way too much $ on a d30 before I found this forum. Truss, c's, RCV's 5.13's aaannnd.... air locker on 37's. So far it has held up. I cringe every time I push the button on the locker(very rarely) and I am very careful with the skinny pedal in low range. I have $ set aside for whenever it finally lets go, and I always make sure I have tools to remove axles on heavier wheeling trips just in case. The longer it holds out the more I will have saved for axle upgrades. Hopefully it holds out long enough to go pr60's and 40's. Otherwise I will have to stay on 37's and just settle for the pr44. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nespoli1

Does anyone know the best place to get a dynatrac pr44. And what are the thoughts on rear axle. I will not be doing nothing other than trails no climbing as it’s flat as hell here in north Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Does anyone know the best place to get a dynatrac pr44. And what are the thoughts on rear axle. I will not be doing nothing other than trails no climbing as it’s flat as hell here in north Florida.

I ordered mine straight from dynatrac. You may be able to get it a little faster from a vender that has them in stock but I wanted it built straight from dynatrac

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKrob15

Everyone why we are on the subject. I would like to run 37’s. However different forums say different things. I have a 15 JKU sport. Sounds like I don’t need more that a set of rubicon axels. So if I decided to change front axles what’s a decent one that will turn the 37s without an issue. I live in Florida and only have trails. No rocks or even hills. I don’t want to break the bank and it sounds like shoring up my Dana 30 and slapping in 4:88 will be a waste of money????

Something to think about:

I also have a jku sport (3.6 auto) and have ran 37s with a 4.88 gear ratio for the past 20k miles. My Dana 30 has held up to city driving and the gear ratio was fine up until recently. Once I started using the Jeep on trips, I found my Jeep searching for gears on many highway inclines. If I could do it all over again, I'd spend just a little more up front and buy at least a prorock 44 to run a steeper gear. 4.88 and 37s just doesn't work for cross country trips imho.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nespoli1

Something to think about:

I also have a jku sport (3.6 auto) and have ran 37s with a 4.88 gear ratio for the past 20k miles. My Dana 30 has held up to city driving and the gear ratio was fine up until recently. Once I started using the Jeep on trips, I found my Jeep searching for gears on many highway inclines. If I could do it all over again, I'd spend just a little more up front and buy at least a prorock 44 to run a steeper gear. 4.88 and 37s just doesn't work for cross country trips imho.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Did u strengthen the Dana 30 with Cs or anything. Did u do any wheeling. Where I live the most it would be is some trails. Very flat here.

Top Bottom