Cb hook up

fiend

Caught the Bug
I was thinking about that but figured I’d wait to get my HAM license until I get used to cb and figure that out.

If I wanted to wire the cb myself do I need an in-line fuse? Any relays? I was told to just wire it straight to the battery but that doesn’t seem right, atleast not to me.

I can run wires, hide them and do all that shinaniganz decently I guess it’s just the actual hooking stuff up. Same reason I haven’t hooked up my led bars and pods yet

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Something like this will have a fuse built into the power line. It does not draw much power. You can run it to your battery or just tie it into your cigarette lighter. You don’t need a relay.

IMG_3707.jpg

Maineiac

If it going to battery make sure you fuse it close to battery..if it's got a cigarette lighter plug it should have a 3amp or so fuse inline already..and with a 102 antenna setup ok, expect 7-10miles on flattish land on AM.. any hills and it goes down quick from there.. SSB expect to add some range.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

TRLJNKY

Oreo, you dont want to run an amp on a CB. First, im pretty sure you would still need a license for being over 4 watts. Im pretty sure anyway. 2nd, from what Ive been told you can fry anyone else's setup around you when you key the mic. Considering how close we all run together, that would be pretty shitty if your on a run with a group of friends. I wouldnt want to be that guy. If you really are concerned about runs out in the boonies by yourself, you really need to look into the HAM setup. Also, CB kits should come with fuses and wiring you need to just run under the regulated 4 watts.

aka cavfighter

A few spare parts and tools are a hell of a better choice than a jacked up cb. If you’re that worried about it pick up a sat phone for emergencies. No one on a cb 50 miles away can really help you. (They night hear you, but there’s no way in hell they can talk back, and also people can’t read maps these days so how will they find you?)

Oreo_penguin536

Like I said I’m not even considering hooking up the amp anymore till I get more interior stuff done probably after the next summer. From what I heard you can key it up? Or down? when you want, I’ll do more research before I throw it in when it’s getting closer to that time

I bought mine refurbished off of eBay from someone, they don’t make the old style 148s anymore from what I’ve looked up so I didn’t get a wiring kit or anything just the cb, mic, and mounting brackets.

I guess the old ones with the side mic plug were the good ones and the new cobra 148s with the front mount aren’t that good

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Ham is a much better solution than running an amp'd CB. You can call out long distance, but very few if anyone outside of a few miles will be able to reach you back. Plus everyone close distance is gonna hate the echo that you will cause. My advice would be get a good CB install for close trail communications (90% of us have one) and if you really feel the need than you can pick up a good handheld HAM for when you venture out alone.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
A few spare parts and tools are a hell of a better choice than a jacked up cb. If you’re that worried about it pick up a sat phone for emergencies. No one on a cb 50 miles away can really help you. (They night hear you, but there’s no way in hell they can talk back, and also people can’t read maps these days so how will they find you?)

That’s what I think. Sat phone.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Like I said I’m not even considering hooking up the amp anymore till I get more interior stuff done probably after the next summer. From what I heard you can key it up? Or down? when you want, I’ll do more research before I throw it in when it’s getting closer to that time

I bought mine refurbished off of eBay from someone, they don’t make the old style 148s anymore from what I’ve looked up so I didn’t get a wiring kit or anything just the cb, mic, and mounting brackets.

I guess the old ones with the side mic plug were the good ones and the new cobra 148s with the front mount aren’t that good

Definitely look into Ham, it's an easy 35 question test and if you study just a little it's an easy pass.
That said, most jeepers are on CB and you will want that also but no amp.
You can also mod some Ham radios for CB frequencies, technically illeagal, but not hard for a tech to do.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

scrota76

Definitely look into Ham, it's an easy 35 question test and if you study just a little it's an easy pass.
That said, most jeepers are on CB and you will want that also but no amp.
You can also mod some Ham radios for CB frequencies, technically illeagal, but not hard for a tech to do.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app
As a follow up to this, i went to the playstore app on my phone and downloaded Ham Test Prep from iversoft.com. all the possible test questions are on there. Just memorize the test questions, and watch some super enthralling [emoji19] videos on beginner ham radio. Use www.arrl.org to find a test location near you, I looked, there is one on the 16th of this month in Reno.

Install a good ham or get a good 8 watt handheld off amazon.

My group went all ham, on a simplex frequency. Line of sight its much better than CB. If one guy doesnt have a tuned antenna, then that one guy can mess up everything for the group. Dont really have that problem with a basic ham setup.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Oreo_penguin536

So many replies[emoji38]

So sell the amp and get a ham and have cb for close coms between 0-10 miles (minus skip) and have the ham for longer distance? Do I need a different antenna for a ham? Do they only come hand held or can they come in a box style like a cb? Sorry if they’re noob questions. This radio stuff is not my realm yet

BaddestCross

So many replies[emoji38]

So sell the amp and get a ham and have cb for close coms between 0-10 miles (minus skip) and have the ham for longer distance? Do I need a different antenna for a ham? Do they only come hand held or can they come in a box style like a cb? Sorry if they’re noob questions. This radio stuff is not my realm yet

Yes. Install a good CB for trail runs. Ham can be mounted or handheld. If you get mounted, yes, it's a different antenna. You can get cheap handhelds to start with for around $25.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

scrota76

Oh okay, well now I have something to study for. 🤙🏾 I can’t use the amp I have for the ham? Texas star 500

For a hard mount vhf/uhf radio you want an NMO mount antenna 20170430_163038.jpg

Here is how my radios are set up 20170430_162957.jpg 20170430_163027.jpg

I tried to seperate my antennas as much as possible. For what you will be doing an amplifier is overkill. I would say sell it and use the money to get a Kenwood or Yaseu radio to hard mount in your jeep, and a smaller CB with a fire stick antenna.

For the real back country stuff, get a $100 gps tracker. The type im talking about can send messages to computers or phones. Usually there are three buttons, I'm ok, im lost, im screwed. Each message sends your GPS location to the family member or friend you choose. Yes, there usually is a minimal monthly fee, or a pay as you go plan. Its invaluable insurance.

With all three of those in your Jeep, you will always be able to reach out and touch someone.

BaddestCross

For a hard mount vhf/uhf radio you want an NMO mount antenna View attachment 285797

Here is how my radios are set up View attachment 285798 View attachment 285799

I tried to seperate my antennas as much as possible. For what you will be doing an amplifier is overkill. I would say sell it and use the money to get a Kenwood or Yaseu radio to hard mount in your jeep, and a smaller CB with a fire stick antenna.

For the real back country stuff, get a $100 gps tracker. The type im talking about can send messages to computers or phones. Usually there are three buttons, I'm ok, im lost, im screwed. Each message sends your GPS location to the family member or friend you choose. Yes, there usually is a minimal monthly fee, or a pay as you go plan. Its invaluable insurance.

With all three of those in your Jeep, you will always be able to reach out and touch someone.

I like your ham setup... What radio and antenna/mount are you running?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Parks34

I used the power supplt box from an xbox 360 and cut it down to size, mounted it on top of the radio in that bolt on that compartment, and put the cb on it. Looks great

Oreo_penguin536

For a hard mount vhf/uhf radio you want an NMO mount antenna View attachment 285797

Here is how my radios are set up View attachment 285798 View attachment 285799

You’re talking about like a spot FPS system. Used to run one when I was still riding. Totally bad ass and worth it

I have no idea what a vho nm mount stuff is but okay🤙🏾 I’ll get that once I get more time I gotta look more ham stuff up

Sorry I couldn’t get a pic out, late day and early morning

Top Bottom