Cb hook up

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
So many replies[emoji38]

and have cb for close coms between 0-10 miles (minus skip) and have the ham for longer distance? Do I need a different antenna for a ham? Do they only come hand held or can they come in a box style like a cb? Sorry if they’re noob questions. This radio stuff is not my realm yet

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

So sell the amp (Definitely) and get a ham (Close or long distance) UHF and VHF for close in, HF for long distance and have CB for runs with NON hams.
For each set up you will need a different antenna. UHF-VHF one antenna, HF another antenna and a different for CB.
It can seem intimidating when you look at all the possibilities but you don't need to go ALL In to start.
Pick one and get it installed, I'm hesitant to say CB first because I'm a Ham but you don't need a license. I'm having to add CB capabilities for my Ham setup for the NON-Ham runs.
Talk to Hams in you're area, (They are very helpful just like Jeepers)
One more thing, you can communicate with your Ham radio around the world without an amp, 100 w radio will do most anything you want to do.

Oreo_penguin536

So sell the amp (Definitely) and get a ham (Close or long distance) UHF and VHF for close in, HF for long distance and have CB for runs with NON hams.
For each set up you will need a different antenna. UHF-VHF one antenna, HF another antenna and a different for CB.
It can seem intimidating when you look at all the possibilities but you don't need to go ALL In to start.
Pick one and get it installed, I'm hesitant to say CB first because I'm a Ham but you don't need a license. I'm having to add CB capabilities for my Ham setup for the NON-Ham runs.
Talk to Hams in you're area, (They are very helpful just like Jeepers)
One more thing, you can communicate with your Ham radio around the world without an amp, 100 w radio will do most anything you want to do.

It seems very intimidating for sure. I can get in contact with a guy who does ham I believe.

Last thing, so if youre set up to run HF you can’t run uhv-vhf? Or can you do both? And if you can do both do you have both antennas mounted at the same time and switch between them internally like on the radio or would you need to physically swap out the antennas?

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
It seems very intimidating for sure. I can get in contact with a guy who does ham I believe.

Last thing, so if youre set up to run HF you can’t run uhv-vhf? Or can you do both? And if you can do both do you have both antennas mounted at the same time and switch between them internally like on the radio or would you need to physically swap out the antennas?

You can get a radio that does both UHF/VHF and HF, the radio will switch antennas depending on the frequency you choose.
Good luck and if you need any more information just message.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Maineiac

If you don't have a network of ham people you'll be dealing with, stick to slapping a cb in imo.. ham radio is a whole other hobby and gets expensive fast.. if however you have some friends that you think will be going ham as well, than it all would make sense.. the Cobra 148 you mentioned is a great little cb radio!

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Oreo_penguin536

If you don't have a network of ham people you'll be dealing with, stick to slapping a cb in imo.. ham radio is a whole other hobby and gets expensive fast.. if however you have some friends that you think will be going ham as well, than it all would make sense.. the Cobra 148 you mentioned is a great little cb radio!

Thanks! I heard it was pretty stout and could take a beating

Plenty of people on here are ham aren’t they? Or mostly cb?

BaddestCross

Thanks! I heard it was pretty stout and could take a beating

Plenty of people on here are ham aren’t they? Or mostly cb?

CB is still most common on the trail but a lot of people are moving to (or using in combination with CB) the "race radios" which are really ham radios which is why ham was brought up as a solution for your long-distance concerns.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Oreo_penguin536

Okay I gotcha

So if I ran let’s say a cb,I’d have my 102” whip, and if I had a ham as well I’d have a HF antenna and a vfr/ufo antenna, so 3 total antennas?

I think I got the acronyms right

RedRocker

I haven't read every post in this thread so forgive me if I'm off track. I have been running a 50w amp on my CB with a modulation swing kit and 4 foot Francis antenna for almost 10 years now. I run this setup because I tail gun trails in Moab and want to insure I am heard, especially when I am picking up scragglers at the back of the pack and need to get out to the trail leader who is often out of site range. There have been a few occasions when I've been able to get messages out when tending to break downs that were heard clearly when I couldn't hear anyone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Maineiac

Well Oreo.. they make antennas for ham radios that "tune" themselves to whatever band your on.. yeasu atas (110 or 120 or something I forget) it's like $300 or so.. works on some multiband radios that let you have UHF/VHF and HF.. like the yeasu 857d.. I think that's like 800 bucks..(can be modded to open up cb band as well..although illegal to do so technically).. but short of running a setup like that yes.. you would need antennas for whatever bands you were using..

Maineiac

But with a 102 whip and a Cobra 148 you will likely be heard by anyone else out there that you can hear... Unless they are packing an amp, than they will be heard farther than they can hear usally

Oreo_penguin536

But with a 102 whip and a Cobra 148 you will likely be heard by anyone else out there that you can hear... Unless they are packing an amp, than they will be heard farther than they can hear usally

So that amp I have is only good if other people have one that strong, otherwise it’s over kill.

As long as that 148 can grab around 10 miles I’m content really. The guy who sold me the amp said he’s talked to people in Europe and Australia without skip. Went gear queer and got excited lol

Oreo_penguin536

I haven't read every post in this thread so forgive me if I'm off track. I have been running a 50w amp on my CB with a modulation swing kit and 4 foot Francis antenna for almost 10 years now. I run this setup because I tail gun trails in Moab and want to insure I am heard, especially when I am picking up scragglers at the back of the pack and need to get out to the trail leader who is often out of site range. There have been a few occasions when I've been able to get messages out when tending to break downs that were heard clearly when I couldn't hear anyone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’m curious, Why not a 102” whip?

Maineiac

As far as talking to other countries without skip...not happening (unless your on the Canadian or Mexico border :p) you can expect to get back to anyone you can hear on your 102 whip unless they running juice..regular terrain with no big hills blocking.. 5-7 miles mobile to mobile... 10+ miles if talking to a base station.. more if you're operating on SSB instead of AM.. like I said before, you can do much better things on ham radio, but that's another hobby in itself that requires all your buddies to be setup for ham as well

Top Bottom