Cheaper and better than a JK

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing wrong with yota's. Hell, I used to own an 88 4-Runner among other non-Jeep vehicles I've had over the years and really, I like them all. For someone to feel the need to critique what you have is really kind of sad.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Nothing wrong with yota's. Hell, I used to own an 88 4-Runner among other non-Jeep vehicles I've had over the years and really, I like them all. For someone to feel the need to critique what you have is really kind of sad.

Eddie-

That is basically how the whole car/truck/jeep/whatever scene has turned into anymore. People will try and ruin whatever you have for you someway.

TCMguy

I love Jeeps...but I still have a soft spot for a late 60's Bronco with a Windsor V8 like my dad owned...it is what got me into 4wheeling. I still remember as a 12 yo hunting deer with my dad in Vermont...it had an old Warn Belleview winch (predecessor to the venerable M8274) on the front bumper and a chain saw in the back...three on the tree...we spent as much time pulling pick up trucks out of snow banks as we did hunting...

My Dad had one of those Bronco's in the same time period as your Dad. It was used as a daily driver and work vehicle for lumber production. It was also very good at driving through huge snodrifts. I do miss it, along with my 2001 suzuki vitara but for me nothing beats my Wrangler as far as performance and confort.

Byte

Makes no sense to compare much of anything to a current JKUR on 37's because of the cost and skill required to make that happen. It all pretty much breaks down when you start modding anything. Everything becomes speculation, conjecture, personal experience/bias or plain ol' opinion. Pretty much totally boils down to bubkis... ;)

If you just stick with what's avail from the factory in a stock configuration that can compare to a stock JKUR in any available package, you're going to be very hard pressed to find anything worth even considering unless you have the kind of cash or credit that will let you drive any of the off road capable G wagons off the lot. Cost and capabilities wise, there's nothing to even compare it to. Hell I think Toyota stopped putting the electric locker in the their Tacoma TRD package. Though I think it did make a comeback in the TRD Pro package. Tundras lost the locker almost from the get go. Just no call for that capability in pick-ups apparently.

As has already been stated the JKUR of the past 8 or so years is in a class of its own and has no rivals. Sure I love the shite outa my '98 Tacoma TRD and have taken it places no sane person would but even with a full locked front & rear axle upgrade with custom 4 link suspension it's never going to be comparable to what my JKURHR is in stock configuration. Sure I can air it out by saw'z'alling the roof off but that's really no solution! :rock:

If you really do want to go down the mod route and make comparison with an average garage mechanics skills and keep it in a reasonable $10k budget, I'd love to see an IH Scout put on a more modern suspension with better gearing and tires. Nothing crazy...but I think it'd be a great trail rig unless you need 4 doors.

Always interesting to see what people come up with in the what-if game though!

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
This really has me thinking, and I dont think I can come up with anything that would really compare overall. Hell if you factor in doors that come off, and a removable top...well there isnt anything lol, aside from an older wrangler.

When I started to think about it, it was really hard to think of anything that would compare.

I'm just a 4x4 fan in general. I try to appreciate most vehicles for what they are. Diesels, 4x4's, cars and everything in between. His comments were petty but I had a good idea of how he felt deep inside.

Makes no sense to compare much of anything to a current JKUR on 37's because of the cost and skill required to make that happen. It all pretty much breaks down when you start modding anything. Everything becomes speculation, conjecture, personal experience/bias or plain ol' opinion. Pretty much totally boils down to bubkis... ;)

If you just stick with what's avail from the factory in a stock configuration that can compare to a stock JKUR in any available package, you're going to be very hard pressed to find anything worth even considering unless you have the kind of cash or credit that will let you drive any of the off road capable G wagons off the lot. Cost and capabilities wise, there's nothing to even compare it to. Hell I think Toyota stopped putting the electric locker in the their Tacoma TRD package. Though I think it did make a comeback in the TRD Pro package. Tundras lost the locker almost from the get go. Just no call for that capability in pick-ups apparently.

As has already been stated the JKUR of the past 8 or so years is in a class of its own and has no rivals. Sure I love the shite outa my '98 Tacoma TRD and have taken it places no sane person would but even with a full locked front & rear axle upgrade with custom 4 link suspension it's never going to be comparable to what my JKURHR is in stock configuration. Sure I can air it out by saw'z'alling the roof off but that's really no solution! :rock:

If you really do want to go down the mod route and make comparison with an average garage mechanics skills and keep it in a reasonable $10k budget, I'd love to see an IH Scout put on a more modern suspension with better gearing and tires. Nothing crazy...but I think it'd be a great trail rig unless you need 4 doors.

Always interesting to see what people come up with in the what-if game though!

Good analysis. I was really eager to hear what others had to say. Thanks.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Don't know if they sell the in the U.S. But if you're talking stock then the only comparable vehicle to a new JKUR is Toyota 76 series Landcruiser wagon. Solid axles, front and rear lockers, V8 diesel, twin fuel tanks and it even has better ground clearance. The only thing that really lets it down is the radius arm front and narrow rear track.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I've been collecting parts for years to build something. I keep changing my mind on the actual vehicle part. The drivetrain I'm pretty much set on, just can't decide on what actual vehicle to put it all in.

I absolutely love my four door and have no plans of getting rid of it. I'm still building it up also and really my end game for it hasn't changed but has been extended out most likely. The end game on it will be an extremely capable vehicle. I still want something else. Something built cheaper that I don't care as much about. Something that doesn't have to be fixed on Monday morning to get me to work if I broke it over the weekend. Something I can flip and not worry about what it looks like once it's righted back up. Something that I'm not making payments on either. That being said it will be mostly offroad vehicle only. So it may not be tagged and insured. It may not be street legal. It may not even have a cab. So it won't be something I would take across country as much as the JK. So my JK will still pull driving duties to anywhere I wanna drive to and play. So I want to keep it nicer, and I enjoy all of its creature comforts.

It's funny too being around 4x4s, jeeps, and wheeling for a while now and having older vehicles and dealing with all their quirks. A lot of people talk crap about the nicer stuff. But then when they ride with me or we caravan to some place and I can drive faster or have a more pleasant ride than their CJ provides. They start thinkin about a JK. Two friends have even sold their CJs for newer JKs and have loved it.

holliewood61

The jk's are great. They keep surprising me every time i wheel with one. Lets just say a new jkur plus some lift, wheels, tires, bumpers, winch, gearing, etc would end up in the 50-60k range, and you can correct me if im wrong as i dont own a jk. With as cheap as ls power trains are i feel like you could take the vehicle of your choosing, have ls power, links, coilovers, tons, gearing, lockers, and recovery equipment well within the 50-60k price range. The more one could do them self the cheaper it would be, same as the jk. The trade off in my eyes is initial monetary investment vs substantially less money and substantially more work. Its an each to their own kind of thing really. Do you want to spend 45k on a jeep and put 15k into it to be wheeling in no timeb or put 10k into whatever rig another 20-30k (may be low) in parts and labor to be wheeling a year or more from now?

Now as far as a vehicle thats as versatile and user friendly as a jk, one would be hard pressed to find. K5's, broncos, ram chargers, are all 2 door. Wagoneers and suburbans are pigs. 4 runners somewhat fit the bill, but aren't very comfortable. A bobbed 4 door truck could do, but thats more time and money.

For what the jku can do out of the box, and how much more it can do with relatively little modification i dont think there is a vehicle out there that would even be a decent starting point to build for comparison.

croge17

For the OP's original question toyotas will all compete if you spend wisely. Tacoma with a allpro or trail gear solid axle swap and they have an axle very capable vehicle ready to handle 37's

Average person running 37s will need an aftermarket housing for 2k and about 2k in suspension lift, then another 1k in other driveline mods.

madstiles

When people critique something due to cost, deep down they are jealous. If they had the money, they would do the same thing. There is no way I am going to jump into a 30 year old vehicle and say "wow, this is just as good and I really spent way too much on my rig". It is the dream of all cheap assholes out there.

I don't worry about other people's opinions unless they are more experienced than me, and that is most of the people on this forum. Just get what you want and forget the garage monkey and his Hilux.

To answer your question, nothing compares to a Jeep, period.

Well said!

Pyro1415

Yeah the new tacos and fj's don't compete. I've wheeled with them in Germany and they had a lot of problems doing obstacles that my sport with a 2.5" lift and Rubi takeoffs handled. Actually they stopped following the jeeps all together after we almost lost the taco.
*disclaimer* taco was stock, fj was lifted on 34's

When you consider you can get a rebuilt 07 jku for well under 10k with a rebuilt title. Pr 44 the front(2 to 3k) used, make some upgrades in the back such as locker and shafts and be pretty damn capable under $20k. I mean I bought my jeep when she was 2 and I have maybe 25k invested in it with initial purchase plus mods. But I'm very far from being extreme, I put time into it to save money(but time is money) and I buy used.

I bought a new JK because it's also my daily driver, but if you don't worry about warranty and are pretty handy with tools a rebuilt or used JK is a pretty sound investment nowadays.

HardRock87

When people critique something due to cost, deep down they are jealous. If they had the money, they would do the same thing. There is no way I am going to jump into a 30 year old vehicle and say "wow, this is just as good and I really spent way too much on my rig". It is the dream of all cheap assholes out there.

I don't worry about other people's opinions unless they are more experienced than me, and that is most of the people on this forum. Just get what you want and forget the garage monkey and his Hilux.

To answer your question, nothing compares to a Jeep, period.

Yes definitely THIS :thumb:

Top Bottom