Clayton Offroad Products?

uhporkchop

Anyone have experience with Clayton Offroad products? Specifically the long arm kit. I am ready for a long arm kit and looking for pros and cons or a comparison between EVO, Clayton, and TF. After reading through some threads have eliminated TF from the running with Evos bolt-on coil overs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have experience with Clayton Offroad products? Specifically the long arm kit. I am ready for a long arm kit and looking for pros and cons or a comparison between EVO, Clayton, and TF. After reading through some threads have eliminated TF from the running with Evos bolt-on coil overs.

I've installed their short arm kit on a friends JK and the quality is all there. I'm not a big fan of the look of square tubes but, that's trivial and just me. The only reservation I would have about their long arm kit is that I'm pretty sure it's a radius arm design and, if you're looking for big flex - the kind that you will get with EVO coil overs, it's not a solution I would go with. Radius arms do allow big vertical travel and solve issues with upper control arm mounting but, by its design, will work against you in the flex department. Not say that you can't force them to flex, it's just not it's primary purpose.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
yup, Like the short arm stuff. Its built decent and they use Johnny joints.:yup: The long arm is basically like the RE front half with radius arms

Indefatigable

I run their long arm kit in my LJ. It takes the abuse. Nothing really wears out and I live in a wet/dirty climate. I like it.

Only drawback for me was the coils were a bit light for an armoured LJ. Put in RE coils and they are holding up.

If I was doing it over, would I buy it again. Yes. And probably have to pay retail this time!

jeeeep

Hooked
I installed their short arm and they've taken their fair share of abuse over the last couple of years with no issues. I'm also planning to move to the long arm in the near future

uhporkchop

I've installed their short arm kit on a friends JK and the quality is all there. I'm not a big fan of the look of square tubes but, that's trivial and just me. The only reservation I would have about their long arm kit is that I'm pretty sure it's a radius arm design and, if you're looking for big flex - the kind that you will get with EVO coil overs, it's not a solution I would go with. Radius arms do allow big vertical travel and solve issues with upper control arm mounting but, by its design, will work against you in the flex department. Not say that you can't force them to flex, it's just not it's primary purpose.

I too am not a huge fan of square tubes, but I guess I was thinking that a radius arm design would actually yeild more flex. I see what you are saying in respect to more vertical travel (both sides of axle at full droop) and not necessarily flex/roll at the front axle with one side at full droop and the other stuffed. Time to do more research on pros and cons of radius arm vs 4 link. Thanks Eddie for turning the light on...

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I too am not a huge fan of square tubes, but I guess I was thinking that a radius arm design would actually yeild more flex. I see what you are saying in respect to more vertical travel (both sides of axle at full droop) and not necessarily flex/roll at the front axle with one side at full droop and the other stuffed. Time to do more research on pros and cons of radius arm vs 4 link. Thanks Eddie for turning the light on...

There's more pros to a 4 link, if a radius kit was great every company would make one.

IMO it's a cheap easy way out for a jeep suspension. Radius arms have a place, just not on a rockcrawler

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom