CLEAN FREAKS : What do You Use to Blacken Your Fenders?

OJK12

I have used Stoner Trim Shine with pretty good success. You just spray it on and leave it sit and really does a nice job of bringing back the shine and deep black color of all black plastic. I haven't had any for a while though and need to get some but I have also used Amorall with good results.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

benatc1

Hooked
I've always used the mothers and it's worked well for abbot, however the sun here fades it so fast as i always park outside so when I swapped jeep's and cut fenders I threw a coat of glossy paint on there and it's held on awesome and I can just Shine them with wax and the spots no longer exist, i do need to redo my rears as this winter has caused some of it to flake off a bit, fronts are holding strong

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

naysjp

Caught the Bug
Your Jeeps look awesome and always well maintained. I admit trying to keep a white vehicle clean is tough. I've always owned dark colored vehicles. I used a paint additive called Penetrol that you can pick up at Lowe's or Home Depot. It's $9.97/qt so it last a long time. You spread it on with a sponge and the flares turn instant black. I did this about two or three times a year and keep in mind I park outside so your applications should be less frequent. The picture below was taken in 2013 and that's an 04 TJ so those flares are old. I'd say I had been using the Penetrol for a few years prior to this pic that was taken. i had just applied some the flares before I took this picture and I even put some on a rag and rubbed it on the stock bumper and rockers to shine it up power coating.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 281

CTJeepJK

I have had good luck using Forever Black from 4wd.com. It is a black dye and if you do two coats, it last quite a long time. I did it once on my old TJ and it lasted well over a year. That was a couple years ago so I'm not sure it's still available.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
My hunting rig is a 97 TJ. I use the hell out of it but I also want it to look nice. I hated that the fenders would never stay black. I would armorall the finders every time I washed it. I didn't like how oily armorall left the finders. So I research a more permanent fix. I found that a heat gun will turn the plastic black agin. It's been over a year and they are still black. View attachment 244987 View attachment 244988

Interesting. This is something im gonna give a try.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! Thanks for sharing what you guys use. I just might have to test out some other products in the near future :thumb:

Oh, and I should note that TJ fenders are NOTHING like JK fenders. The heat gun trick works on TJ fenders but they won't get rid of the mud stains on a JK.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Awesome! Thanks for sharing what you guys use. I just might have to test out some other products in the near future :thumb:

Oh, and I should note that TJ fenders are NOTHING like JK fenders. The heat gun trick works on TJ fenders but they won't get rid of the mud stains on a JK.

Good to know.

phelpsds

Black Plastic Trim

I recently discovered "Solution Finish" produced by Chris West in southern California. It is not cheap but works amazingly well on all black trim pieces. I have used 303 in the past and discovered it only last long enough to get it through the next wash cycle. Back to Black has similar results as well as Black Wow, all of which are real dust attractors too.

When I applied Solution Finish and followed the directions AND watched the video, I was amazed at the results. I just re-applied a coat on my plastic for the first time since November 2016 as the fenders were starting to show mud stains. A 1 oz. bottle retails for about $15 while the 12 oz bottle sells for $40. It sounds expensive but the 12 oz bottle will last quite a while. To put things in perspective, a 1 oz bottle will do your Jeep about five times and will last better than a year. www.solutionfinish.com

Don
2012 Rubicon JKU
4" Teraflex
Fox Reservoir Shocks
35" Goodyear Kevlar
Banks Stinger System with Programmer
And a lot of other goodies

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I recently discovered "Solution Finish" produced by Chris West in southern California. It is not cheap but works amazingly well on all black trim pieces. I have used 303 in the past and discovered it only last long enough to get it through the next wash cycle. Back to Black has similar results as well as Black Wow, all of which are real dust attractors too.

When I applied Solution Finish and followed the directions AND watched the video, I was amazed at the results. I just re-applied a coat on my plastic for the first time since November 2016 as the fenders were starting to show mud stains. A 1 oz. bottle retails for about $15 while the 12 oz bottle sells for $40. It sounds expensive but the 12 oz bottle will last quite a while. To put things in perspective, a 1 oz bottle will do your Jeep about five times and will last better than a year. www.solutionfinish.com

Don
2012 Rubicon JKU
4" Teraflex
Fox Reservoir Shocks
35" Goodyear Kevlar

Welcome to WAYALIFE. It's great to see you making this your first post here since signing up back in 2014. :crazyeyes:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Don
2012 Rubicon JKU
4" Teraflex
Fox Reservoir Shocks
35" Goodyear Kevlar

Welcome to wayalife back from 2014.

blacker1

Agreed. I have used several of the mentioned products and they all seem to wash away quite easily. I saw this AA Outlast at my local auto parts store with a JK right on the box and figured why not? I now use it on all of my textured powder coated steel and plastic as well. It shines, protects and hangs tough through lots of rain showers and spray washes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom