Coilover install

ttfhell

You need to move them down to 3/4-1" above the coil slider. Otherwise you aren't using both coils to the fullest.

ttfhell

thats what i wanted to know! just spin them down? also why do they have a rubber seal?

Yes. Use a screw driver and a hammer to loosen the top one then spin bottom down. Not sure why the rubber seal, if I had to guess its to stop the timing rings to move if they are loose. I know it can get in the threads if you aren't careful.

noroad

Yes. Use a screw driver and a hammer to loosen the top one then spin bottom down. Not sure why the rubber seal, if I had to guess its to stop the timing rings to move if they are loose. I know it can get in the threads if you aren't careful.

Ok so that silver rings affect ride? And your saying they work best at about 1 inch below the top slider. thanks for the help im still new to them, i think the blue jeeps silver rings are closer to the bottom. And what can get in the threads if im not careful?

SFNick

Bump any more info. on what the silver rings do!

The timing ring allows for your lower spring(usually a stiffer spring rate) to kick in when you have a big load or hit a big bump. The slider comes up & it hits the rings allowing the bottom spring to start working. 1" above the slider at ride height is what EVO recommended. The rings have a rubber o-ring in the middle to help them from vibrating loose over time.

noroad

The timing ring allows for your lower spring(usually a stiffer spring rate) to kick in when you have a big load or hit a big bump. The slider comes up & it hits the rings allowing the bottom spring to start working. 1" above the slider at ride height is what EVO recommended. The rings have a rubber o-ring in the middle to help them from vibrating loose over time.

Ok so mine are way to high and need to come down a lot then. sounds like they are another bump stop type thing then? thanks

SFNick

Ok so mine are way to high and need to come down a lot then. sounds like they are another bump stop type thing then? thanks

Yeah, it adds in damping giving you a true dual rate suspension frequency. I will add that I find it easier to adjust the rings with all the load off the coilovers. I'm pretty new to all this coilover stuff too but have learned a lot from Wayalifers over the past couple months.

noroad

Yeah, it adds in damping giving you a true dual rate suspension frequency. I will add that I find it easier to adjust the rings with all the load off the coilovers. I'm pretty new to all this coilover stuff too but have learned a lot from Wayalifers over the past couple months.

Here is how mine is set up. I'm at almost 4" of lift.

thanks for the help man i truly am a noob with them as well lol

ttfhell

There shouldn't be any need to take weight off the jeep to adjust the timing rings (two silver rings) they external to the shock and have no load on them. The pre-load adjuster (blue ring at the top) is much easier to adjusts without a load on it. Especially when adding height.

SFNick

There shouldn't be any need to take weight off the jeep to adjust the timing rings (two silver rings) they external to the shock and have no load on them. The pre-load adjuster (blue ring at the top) is much easier to adjusts without a load on it. Especially when adding height.

I find that having the weight on the coilovers makes the spring closer together thus making it harder to adjust the timing rings. Never said there was a load on them just that it was easier for me. 👍

ttfhell

I find that having the weight on the coilovers makes the spring closer together thus making it harder to adjust the timing rings. Never said there was a load on them just that it was easier for me. 👍

Cool. I just didn't want the op to think he had to jack his jeep up when he didn't need to. Rock on.

StrizzyChris

They are not a bump stop by any means, but yes, they dampen the "jolt" when hitting bumps prior to contact with the jounce pad/bump stop. this is why you need them only slightly above the slider. you are disecting the gap between the bump stop with a more firm coil rate.

SaddleTramp

Question for you guys what are the two silver rings? mine are really close to where i have it at and i was wondering if i can just move them down more? I need to spin the blue ring down more as my rig is level now but with gear i think it will sag. also i think i saw a black seal on the bottom of one of the silver rings whats that for?

Drew, those are your timing rings. Spin the bottom half/one down, they are like lock nuts, so it's about 1/2" to 3/4" above the top of the slider and then spin the top half and tighten it against the bottom half to lock in place. There may be a black rubber o-ring between the two so don't pinch or screw them over that. Ping me if you have any questions.

SaddleTramp

Damn, never mind, I'm late to the party, everyone already got you headed in the right direction. Sorry, app left me under the impression it was a new post tonight, rig looks great.

Top Bottom