Coilover install

noroad

They are not a bump stop by any means, but yes, they dampen the "jolt" when hitting bumps prior to contact with the jounce pad/bump stop. this is why you need them only slightly above the slider. you are disecting the gap between the bump stop with a more firm coil rate.

Thanks man! im finally getting at good grasp of the whole package!

Drew, those are your timing rings. Spin the bottom half/one down, they are like lock nuts, so it's about 1/2" to 3/4" above the top of the slider and then spin the top half and tighten it against the bottom half to lock in place. There may be a black rubber o-ring between the two so don't pinch or screw them over that. Ping me if you have any questions.

Damn, never mind, I'm late to the party, everyone already got you headed in the right direction. Sorry, app left me under the impression it was a new post tonight, rig looks great.

Thanks Scott, rather have three people explain it then none, always helpful the guys on here! thanks Im really trying to get it looking nice for the rubicon, couple more little things and we are good to roll!

Trail JK

I'm glad you posted this thread because we need to do a little adjusting on my rings too and this info is really helpful. Thanks!

noroad

I'm glad you posted this thread because we need to do a little adjusting on my rings too and this info is really helpful. Thanks!

ya i totally had no idea what they were lol, glad it helped out more then just me! :drinks:to being coilover noob grads lol :rock:

thombull

Good Info guys.....I've installed the fronts but not the backs yet. Then I have to adjust them still. Thanks for the tips.

gradymeister

So I finally got mine on, and got the rear rings where they need to be. Where do you put the rings on the front? Can't put them where the rears are because the threads stop 2 1/2 above that collar. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431907462.538631.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431907513.073095.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431907550.173648.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431907574.787377.jpg

gradymeister

I have all of mine about 1" above the slider while on the ground.

Ok, I must have different shocks than you. There are no threads 2 1/2 " up from the slider. I did notice the pic in the instructions had it about 5 " down from the top or the threads. I'll put it there and see how it goes:)

utiadam

LOSER
Ok, I must have different shocks than you. There are no threads 2 1/2 " up from the slider. I did notice the pic in the instructions had it about 5 " down from the top or the threads. I'll put it there and see how it goes:)

Oh, I thought the picture you posted was with no weight on the suspension. I also have AGM sliders which are taller but not that much.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431921091.307367.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431921119.924009.jpg

utiadam

LOSER
Ahh! That makes sense, we are measuring from different spots. 😎

BTW, 1" above the slider should be a good starting point for the factory sliders apparently. I have to readjust mine because I found out that they are too low. They are causing my lower spring to completely compress. I've spoken to several people with the kit including Mel and it sounds like I'll have to do some testing on my own. The AGM sliders throw off all the usual measurements because of how tall they are.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431931200.797395.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431931214.721755.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431931240.294358.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431931252.693934.jpg

gradymeister

BTW, 1" above the slider should be a good starting point for the factory sliders apparently. I have to readjust mine because I found out that they are too low. They are causing my lower spring to completely compress. I've spoken to several people with the kit including Mel and it sounds like I'll have to do some testing on my own. The AGM sliders throw off all the usual measurements because of how tall they are.
View attachment 143743
View attachment 143744
View attachment 143745
View attachment 143746

Good to know, I hope you get it figured out! I still need to take mine out and flex it out, I've had to work ever since I put the lift on.

BTW, nice ride!

big dr

It is important to note that every set up, as far as where to set the timing rings will vary from vehicle to vehicle, and from driving style to driving style,,, and,,,,, personal preference. Some of our jeeps are heavy, others light. Also, coil overs don't always have the same spring rates, spring lengths, valving, or nitrogen pressure. There is not a one size fits all with CO's.

All the time rings do is determine when your secondary(stiffer) spring kicks in. I have mine set about .75 inch above the slider. This way my first .75 inch of ride travel is a little softer/more comfortable. I would like to have more of the comfort zone and dial the rings up even further,, but I keep them low to help prevent bottoming.

If I really wanted to take it to the next level, I would get a shorter and stiffer secondary spring and then adjust the rings up and have a softer ride for maybe 2 inches into the travel before the secondary kicks in, but at a stiffer rate. If you are unable to stop bottoming with the spring rate you have,, you can either get a stiffer spring,, or put on some air bumps that engage in the last 2-4 inches of your up travel.
(When I'm talking about bottoming, I'm talking about high speed stuff, like 30-50 mph)

There are also adjustments to be made with the valving of the shock as well as nitrogen pressure.

This is why it is so difficult to dial in CO's.

And finally, earlier in the thread the OP asked about the control arm settings. I would always suggest setting your desired ride height,, then take your Jeep to a reputable frame and alignment shop to make it straight. Good luck:thumb:

big dr

Already tried that about 1" above slider. That caused the coil bind.

If you have coil bind,, I would call KING and talk to a tech. You may need a shorter secondary spring,, but I don't know if you have the adjustability in your shock body for that. Write down your spring rates and call KING, you can only learn from the conversation.:thumb:

utiadam

LOSER
If you have coil bind,, I would call KING and talk to a tech. You may need a shorter secondary spring,, but I don't know if you have the adjustability in your shock body for that. Write down your spring rates and call KING, you can only learn from the conversation.:thumb:

The front is the standard 250/250 and the rear 200/250. I suppose one way to get the timing rings further down would be to flip the slider upside down.
This is at ride height right now
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432410583.350110.jpg
The rings are about 1.75" above slider

Top Bottom