Coilover noobe

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey All, so after a long research and the tremendous help from this forum I finally purchased and installed Kings coilovers. What an upgrade from before. But I’m not completely happy because of rubbing noises. The spring slider is rubbing on the threads. The shop who installed then (Rebel Offroad) already clocked the springs. So that they are 180 degrees from each other (top and bottom).
Is this normal? Do they have to wear themselves in? Kings talks about the how smooth and heir products are. What am I doing wrong?
I should mentioned that I have a short arm kit at the moment, with non adjustable from arms.
I would like to hear from you and your thoughts. TY View attachment 326329

I dunno. Maybe it's just me but I think I'd be more concerned with the lack of up travel you have than the coil overs rubbing. The air bump tapping the axle on every bump would drive me nuts.

jdofmemi

Yep☝️

Looks like the shock bottoms out before the air bump does, at least from the picture angle. Maybe there is more shock we can't see??

It also looks like it bottoms out before it hits the timing ring, so you never get the benefits of the dual spring rate.

MericaMade

Wow, you can probably hear/feel your bumps engage just by pulling out of your driveway.

Not trying to be a dick, but if you did research like you said, then why did you pick Rebel over ORE to do install?

Last edited:

mallavoider

Wow, you can probably hear your bumps engage just by pulling out of your driveway.

Not trying to be a dick, but if you did research like you said, then why did you pick Rebel over ORE to do install?

I did my research but they are extremely close to my house, I also figured that it is not that hard to install a set of coilovers. What I did not know was that nobody sits down with you and go over how to set them up, based on the use of the rig . This is why I’m asking for help, from those of you that have them installed and let me know what to expect from them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BaddestCross

I did my research but they are extremely close to my house, I also figured that it is not that hard to install a set of coilovers. What I did not know was that nobody sits down with you and go over how to set them up, based on the use of the rig . This is why I’m asking for help, from those of you that have them installed and let me know what to expect from them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The problem is, the Rebel design is horrible. It has shit travel and is prone to binding. You need to run your Jeep sky high to get anything out of them.

EVO's setup is designed to keep a low center of gravity and still give you good travel.

That Rebel setup needs to be cranked up to at least 6" of lift to come close to working correctly if I recall and then the rear will give you problems because of the way the brackets are designed... They should be rotated 90° to prevent the shock from bending at full droop.

Sorry, the only help I can give is to recommend starting over with a better kit. Not what you want to hear, I'm sure.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

mallavoider

The problem is, the Rebel design is horrible. It has shit travel and is prone to binding. You need to run your Jeep sky high to get anything out of them.

EVO's setup is designed to keep a low center of gravity and still give you good travel.

That Rebel setup needs to be cranked up to at least 6" of lift to come close to working correctly if I recall and then the rear will give you problems because of the way the brackets are designed... They should be rotated 90° to prevent the shock from bending at full droop.

Sorry, the only help I can give is to recommend starting over with a better kit. Not what you want to hear, I'm sure.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Shit. Thank you for the info I do appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exodus 4x4

--

IMG_2697.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom