Coleman stove question

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have a big bulky Coleman that uses the white gas that I never use but it is the best grill I have ever owned. It is old too. The other one I have is a Coleman I believe that is 8-10 years old that I used for the first time on the rubicon last year.

On that note I agree with sharkey that there is no "best grill".

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
i got the second one you showed, and the controls do suck. but i bought a "tree" from walmart that hooks up to a larger propane tank. i dont use the little green bottles.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I'd really like a "discada" to cook on out in the mountains. You can cook just about anything and food tastes good!

Attachments

• 1399487127505.jpg
    1399487127505.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 120

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I am looking to buy a new camping stove. I was looking at this one made by Coleman.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Perfe...&qid=1399478516&sr=1-4&keywords=coleman+stove

I like the fact that it has a grill and a burner. Plus they make a griddle insert for the grill side. Anyone have experience with this one?

The other option would be a traditional two burner one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Trito...&qid=1399478418&sr=8-3&keywords=coleman+stove

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

I have the first one in your post, and it has been one of my most used "offroad" toys that I have bought. It works very well, is compact, and doesn't have much to break. I don't have experiences with other camping stove/grill combos, but this one does everything you'd want a camping stove to do, for a very reasonable price. As for grill, that depends on what you generally eat while on the trail. I mostly have marinated protein packed in ziplocks bags that I just grill up, and use the side burner to make a side like rice, potato, or sautee some veggies. If you're the type of person that prefers to pan cook your meals, you may like the two burner unit better. For dutch oven meals and such, I save those for a campfire. I also love the fact that it's very compact and stores easily in the Jeep. I am by no means saying that it's the best stove or anything like that, just that it does its job very well for minimal financial outlay. Another bonus is if you have a tray table bolted to the inside of your tailgate like the outback table, it fits on there nicely.

Use this pic to judge the size....this is a full pack of boars head hotdogs.

For boiling water, it's a tad slow, but I use a biolite stove for that while I recharge our iphones.

I would also like to say that this stove is ideal for 2 people, MAYBE 3...but if it's two hungry dudes, you're gonna max out the grillspace...for my wife and I, it's just enough.

3 ribeyes...

BTW, those little green propane bottles last a good amount of time, and are cheap (and easy to find.)

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
Great thread MTG. I'm in the market for one of these too and need to pick one up soon along with the rest of my camping gear. Keep the feedback coming in. :yup:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
There is no "perfect" stove.

I generally agree with the comments above regarding quality and flame adjustment. Plus, call me lazy, but it's nice not to have to worry about lighters or matches. I have a 10-15 year old Coleman two burner with a piezo lighter. It boils things...that is what I use it for. Or, I use my smaller Jetboil stove to boil if I'm not making much.

If I was looking to spend a little more and get something nicer that had more cooking control, I'd get the Camp Chef Rainier Camper Grill Griddle Combo or maybe just the grill.

If I planned on cooking larger meals for multiple days, I would move up to the Camp Chef Big Gas Grill 3 burner stove and get some different attachments for the top. (Honestly, for a family camping in the same spot for multiple days, this is the way to go IMHO.)

MTG, for the kind of meals you cook, I would also stay clear of lightweight camping style cookware (pots, pans, etc.). Most of that stuff will burn food in a heartbeat.

Generally, when on the trail, and I want a quick meal, I don't do any of that low and slow stuff....so I just turn it to high, grill away, and eat. If I want to (and have time) for some low and slow cooking, I'll use a real fire with a rotisserie or something like that. I guess if you want quality heat control, this may not be the best stove.

seanb123

I have a mini charcoal grill that I've used pretty small works great. Is their any reason you guys all prefer these propanes beside the argument of heating the charcoal. I may be in the market sometime soon

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I have a mini charcoal grill that I've used pretty small works great. Is their any reason you guys all prefer these propanes beside the argument of heating the charcoal. I may be in the market sometime soon

Time, and having to pack out ashes.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Stopped off at sportsmanship warehouse today. They had the Rainer grill in stock for $99. Unfortunately I did not see a display. Didn't seem too heavy. Might pick that bad boy up and be the guinea pig. We'll see what other recommendations come in.

In related news...my camp table came in today.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399506476.672545.jpg

Love how small it folds up, but still with a good amount of space and a lantern holder.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399506555.507295.jpg

We'll see how well it holds up.

DirtyJeeP

I have the first one. I like it for the most part but if you have a larger pan you have to leave side down for the burner to get the pan to fit. Which sucks if it's windy. Otherwise the control of heat/flame is good. I recommend it. I'll take a picture when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Stopped off at sportsmanship warehouse today. They had the Rainer grill in stock for $99. Unfortunately I did not see a display. Didn't seem too heavy. Might pick that bad boy up and be the guinea pig. We'll see what other recommendations come in.

In related news...my camp table came in today.

View attachment 82114

Love how small it folds up, but still with a good amount of space and a lantern holder.

View attachment 82115

We'll see how well it holds up.

Just don't let overlander near it after a few drinks and should last a while. :cheesy:

GCM 2

I have the exact same camp table/cooking center. Although I wish it was a little more robust, it has survived 7 years worth of 1-3 night camping trips. Good score, I think you will like it!

Also, have you consider one of these little pre-packed dinner sets? This one is from REI, its all plastic plates and glasses, steel flatware and has a board for the cutting of the cheeses...

image-4107485525.jpg

image-4181296017.jpg

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have the exact same camp table/cooking center. Although I wish it was a little more robust, it has survived 7 years worth of 1-3 night camping trips. Good score, I think you will like it!

Also, have you consider one of these little pre-packed dinner sets? This one is from REI, its all plastic plates and glasses, steel flatware and has a board for the cutting of the cheeses...

View attachment 82126

View attachment 82127

Damn dude, you pack a cheese course when you wheel? I wanna roll with you! :D

Top Bottom