Colorado - Holy Cross - July 20

CharlesC

I think this one so far is my favorite trail I've done. Too long of a day that I doubt I'll ever do it again, but what an adventure. Loved every minute of it.

Looks like you had a great time. Beautiful area, that’s for sure. Probably been 30+ years since I was up in that area with my Dad. Great times for sure[emoji482]
- Awesome pictures

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Slimebones

Looks like you had a great time. Beautiful area, that’s for sure. Probably been 30+ years since I was up in that area with my Dad. Great times for sure[emoji482]
- Awesome pictures

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I was talking to an old timer lasts time I was up on this trail, and he was saying that "back-in-the-day" he used to drive a two wheel drive pick-up up this trail. Said that time and usage has worn it into the condition it is in today! Hard to believe, as some of these rock obstacles are pretty gnarly.

WJCO

Meme King
I was talking to an old timer lasts time I was up on this trail, and he was saying that "back-in-the-day" he used to drive a two wheel drive pick-up up this trail. Said that time and usage has worn it into the condition it is in today! Hard to believe, as some of these rock obstacles are pretty gnarly.

I really appreciate you pushing me to do this. I keep re-living this adventure in my head. Very special trail. Every now and then, I get this feeling in the Colorado Backcountry (especially when backpacking) that 'people aren't even supposed to be back here.' This was one of those spots. So remote and rugged, it's hard to believe it can even be accessed to explore it let alone to see the old buildings back there. Less than a week ago, I posted that I'll probably never do it again, but I'm already thinking about doing it again, lol.

Slimebones

I really appreciate you pushing me to do this. I keep re-living this adventure in my head. Very special trail. Every now and then, I get this feeling in the Colorado Backcountry (especially when backpacking) that 'people aren't even supposed to be back here.' This was one of those spots. So remote and rugged, it's hard to believe it can even be accessed to explore it let alone to see the old buildings back there. Less than a week ago, I posted that I'll probably never do it again, but I'm already thinking about doing it again, lol.

Yup, makes you appreciate the life those people had. Not to mention the absolute thrill of driving this route. Gotta love the Rockies.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Glad we finally checked this one off the list folks!

Great time and I didn't get any pics to share as I was usually spotting, but glad we all had fun. Definitely one for the memory bank!

I basically toasted my driveline and front ring and pinion, so while I made it home I have about 2500 in repairs I'm making this week. The bearings were trashed in my front d44 (probably a lot of the noise) and there was some pitting in my gears for some reason, so it was easiest to just regear. Driveline was missing a cap or two so I'm having it completely rebuilt and balanced. Amazingly the axle shafts are still in safe shape. Rear pinion has been leaking for sometime so getting that fixed as well as the transmission flushed. #worthit

Slimebones

Great time and I didn't get any pics to share as I was usually spotting, but glad we all had fun. Definitely one for the memory bank!

I basically toasted my driveline and front ring and pinion, so while I made it home I have about 2500 in repairs I'm making this week. The bearings were trashed in my front d44 (probably a lot of the noise) and there was some pitting in my gears for some reason, so it was easiest to just regear. Driveline was missing a cap or two so I'm having it completely rebuilt and balanced. Amazingly the axle shafts are still in safe shape. Rear pinion has been leaking for sometime so getting that fixed as well as the transmission flushed. #worthit

Yes it was a great day. Thanks for starting this whole trip. Definitely appreciated your spotting efforts. You did great at leading this group through, having never run it before. ie: walked right up French Creek! Tough luck on the driveline mishaps, sucks.

WJCO

Meme King

Indeed. Thanks for starting this run and spotting. :thumb:

I basically toasted my driveline and front ring and pinion, so while I made it home I have about 2500 in repairs I'm making this week. The bearings were trashed in my front d44 (probably a lot of the noise) and there was some pitting in my gears for some reason, so it was easiest to just regear. Driveline was missing a cap or two so I'm having it completely rebuilt and balanced.

Wow. Do you think it was just from this trail or it's been going on over time and finally let go?

Slimebones

Just a point of reference: I had completely refurbished the undercarriage of my jeep (ie: sanded and painted all visible rust/scuff marks from previous runs) just to see what carnage I encountered on this one. Appears I left just about nothing untouched other than the driver side front lower control arm and the front drive shaft. Thrashed on it pretty hard but it kept on ticking with no apparent mechanical issues. My welds even held up to some pretty hard hits! All this confirmed the idea I need an automatic trans, but sure is fun nontheless.:D

Bierpower

Hooked

I haven't had a chance to open mine up yet. Hopefully this weekend, but I imagine I'm in close to the same boat. My rear diff is dripping from the cover and the front R&P sound like they're toast. I was pleasantly surprised that I got a badge in the mail yesterday though. $0.50 badge for $1000 in axle damage. Worth it. Lol IMG_20190801_084305.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bierpower

Hooked
You should have bought a lottery ticket that day. That was your first guess when the noise started. At least you can say you did Holy Cross with no lockers nor winch.
Pretty impressive you were able to drive this as far as you did after first noticing the "different" noise. As WJCO suggested, luck was on your side.
It was an educated guess based on having a D30 and 4.88 gears. I knew they couldn't hold up too long. I'm pretty sure it wasn't that bad when we were on the trail looking at it though. It made a few good pops when I was following Jeff that I think took a few extra teeth off. I'm just glad it happened when we were still in a group. I really appreciate the loaner tools from both of you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I basically toasted my driveline and front ring and pinion, so while I made it home I have about 2500 in repairs I'm making this week. The bearings were trashed in my front d44 (probably a lot of the noise) and there was some pitting in my gears for some reason, so it was easiest to just regear.

Just reflecting on this adventure. Fun times. How's your Jeep? What gear ratio did you end up going with?

Top Bottom