Coming up to Speed With Grubbicon

Grubbicon

What made you choose struts over coil-overs or even just a normal shock/coil combo?

Ive been wanting to go to coilover or struts for ever and now that Im doing the one tons I figured it was time to do it now before I weld everything for the coils and shocks. I originally planned to just keep running my coils and shocks after the swap. I picked struts over coilovers because I like to be different, but Ive also rode in a friends rig with them and they ride great. They are also super stable and dont unload like a coilover can, but then again im sure you get anything in the right spot and it will unload.

Ive been wanting to go to coilover or struts for ever and now that Im doing the one tons I figured it was time to do it now before I weld everything for the coils and shocks. I originally planned to just keep running my coils and shocks after the swap. I picked struts over coilovers because I like to be different, but Ive also rode in a friends rig with them and they ride great. They are also super stable and dont unload like a coilover can, but then again im sure you get anything in the right spot and it will unload.

Thankyou for the feedback! I've been debating extremely hard on which option id like! So this helps with that!
Love the build by the way man!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Properly valved coilovers will not unload. You can see how they will not unload when properly valved just by looking at the Evo spec ones.

I'm curious tho to see your thoughts on these tho and hear your thoughts after you install them

BigPrince

Properly valved coilovers will not unload. You can see how they will not unload when properly valved just by looking at the Evo spec ones.

I'm curious tho to see your thoughts on these tho and hear your thoughts after you install them

I think the key to the unloading discussion is focused on this ORI feature:

Unloading and Push-Off Prevention
Another great feature not found on any other shock is the ability to set a rebound park-position to prevent unloading during a hill climb or decent. Unlike coilovers or air springs that will always rebound back to their ride height position, ORI STX Struts can be set with a predetermined rebound park-position that limits the rebound travel of the strut until the weight of the wheels and axles can extend the strut back to ride height.

Grubbicon

See I didnt know that but hey I look at it as I can always sell these and go coilovers if I choice. Im very interested to see myself. From the guys Ive talked to they all say they wish they would of changed sooner and wont ever go back. I know one guy I talked to and has been pretty help full was running the RK triple bypass in the front and standards in the rear. Hopefully one day we will get to wheel together and you can see them in action.

Thankyou for the feedback! I've been debating extremely hard on which option id like! So this helps with that!
Love the build by the way man!
Thanks man. We will see how they turn out. Ive been told they can be a challenge to get set right but once they are they perform amazingly.

Grubbicon

I think the key to the unloading discussion is focused on this ORI feature:

Unloading and Push-Off Prevention
Another great feature not found on any other shock is the ability to set a rebound park-position to prevent unloading during a hill climb or decent. Unlike coilovers or air springs that will always rebound back to their ride height position, ORI STX Struts can be set with a predetermined rebound park-position that limits the rebound travel of the strut until the weight of the wheels and axles can extend the strut back to ride height.
No gonna lie didnt know it went that in depth lmao. I got a friend that said he would help me set them up so I cant wait to see how it turns out considering his does great.

SevenSlotSpartan

Congrats on the posts Grub!!! Loving your thread so far and am anxious to see how the struts do! Thank you for making my life more complicated after I pretty much narrowed down what I wanted to do to upgrade my suspension now I have to decide if I want to go with coil overs or struts or coil overs or... See what you've done!?

Grubbicon

Congrats on the posts Grub!!! Loving your thread so far and am anxious to see how the struts do! Thank you for making my life more complicated after I pretty much narrowed down what I wanted to do to upgrade my suspension now I have to decide if I want to go with coil overs or struts or coil overs or... See what you've done!?

Lmao I seem to have that effect on a good bit of people lol. I went back and forth a good bit myself before I finally settled on struts.

SevenSlotSpartan

Haha definitely seems that way for sure!! But yeah man I've been doing a little research on the struts they seem really cool and functionality wise they look stout but I think I'd really need to seem them in person and ride in a jeep that has em before choosing them over coil overs

thardy

Banned
Haha definitely seems that way for sure!! But yeah man I've been doing a little research on the struts they seem really cool and functionality wise they look stout but I think I'd really need to seem them in person and ride in a jeep that has em before choosing them over coil overs

Well hopefully we can have this beast done by the End of Summer run next year!

SevenSlotSpartan

Haha yeah for sure!! Hopefully I'll be able to come out for the end of summer run and I'm really wanting to figure out if I can swing the Gulches trip on December 6th! So hopefully I'll see you guys there!

thardy

Banned
At this rate, he'll have it done by about February I think. That's if he doesn't go off and do other projects like the YJ and Toyota lol

I think there goal is to finish the Yota, then the Grubbicon, and then the YJ. Thats of course seeing that they don't go out and pick up something else. I know the Yota is fairly close to having the axles under it.

Haha yeah for sure!! Hopefully I'll be able to come out for the end of summer run and I'm really wanting to figure out if I can swing the Gulches trip on December 6th! So hopefully I'll see you guys there!

It would be awesome if you could make it down for Gulches. It's a fun little park where there's something for everyone.

Grubbicon

At this rate, he'll have it done by about February I think. That's if he doesn't go off and do other projects like the YJ and Toyota lol

Like Trevor said mike and I wanted to finish the toyota first thats why the JK has been pretty slow rolling so far. At this point I can start working on the JK more.Like he said axles are almost under it. The rear front shims have to be figured out to get the pinion angle right and the rear leaf springs have to be painted before we bolt it up for good.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446848073.793644.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446848104.997056.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446848131.835571.jpg

jkwebbie

Like Trevor said mike and I wanted to finish the toyota first thats why the JK has been pretty slow rolling so far. At this point I can start working on the JK more.Like he said axles are almost under it. The rear front shims have to be figured out to get the pinion angle right and the rear leaf springs have to be painted before we bolt it up for good.
View attachment 172606 View attachment 172607 View attachment 172608

Hell yea man! That thing looks good!!! I wish I had a shop with a lift like that at my house, it would make working on the Jeep so much easier lol

GR8WHITE

Quit posting on the forum and get to work!

Edit - you've got to get it ready for Dec 6 at Gulches!
Been workin! The ol white junk needs some work if i were to go to Gulches. Rear limiting straps, relocate my stock SS, ect...

Edit: (I got rid of my fox ATS POS SS a couple weeks ago)

Last edited:
Top Bottom