CONCRETE ARROW QUEST : Search for Transcontinental Airway Beacons

Dam you and you Google maps... just blew over an hour trolling cement arrows nearby! lol

I know this is old, but this really peaked my interest as a pilot. I looks like many of these are on the modern Victor Airways so a sectional chart may help find them as well. Being from Florida I had no idea that these still exsisted since many in the South were destroyed during WW2 to not help enemy pilots and in Florida the sites have been built over or have succumbed back to the land.

Eddie, why couldn't you drive to the last one? Is there a rule about only using roads in the desert? please forgive my ignorance of life out West.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know this is old, but this really peaked my interest as a pilot. I looks like many of these are on the modern Victor Airways so a sectional chart may help find them as well. Being from Florida I had no idea that these still exsisted since many in the South were destroyed during WW2 to not help enemy pilots and in Florida the sites have been built over or have succumbed back to the land.

Eddie, why couldn't you drive to the last one? Is there a rule about only using roads in the desert? please forgive my ignorance of life out West.

If you're referring to the last one in the first post of this thread, the beacon was on top of a steep hill and the road to it, had long since been washed away. While I'm sure we may have been able to find a way to climb up it anyway, we prefer not to go off trail.

If you're referring to the last one in the first post of this thread, the beacon was on top of a steep hill and the road to it, had long since been washed away. While I'm sure we may have been able to find a way to climb up it anyway, we prefer not to go off trail.

Ok that makes sense. I was curious because I've seen you videos and there doesn't seem to be anywhere that your jeep can't go

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
CONCRETE ARROW QUEST : Search for Transcontinental Airway Beacons - Part 9

After spending the last few days in the garage working on Jeeps, Cindy and I decided we needed a break and so we packed up Rubicat and headed out to do some exploring. Specifically, we had been scouting out some concrete arrows on Google Earth and went to see if we could find a way up to at least one of them that was close to home. And, as luck would have it, we were able to do just that and it was maybe one of the most unique one we've found to date. Unlike just about every concrete arrow we've found to date which has an arrow, a mid section that serves as a foundation for a tower and a tail which typically, but not always houses a generator shed, this arrow only had an arrow, a really long and bent shaft section and a tail. There was no mid section for a tower. Upon closer examination, we could see where there might have been some kind of concrete footings at the end of the tail that may have served as a foundation for a tower but, we couldn't be sure of it. Anyway, here are a few photos of what we found today.

Shot of Rubicat after pulling up to the concrete arrow.
main.php

main.php

Standing at the tail and looking down the arrow pointing to the east. As you will see, there is no mid section where there would normally be a foundation for a tower and it is bent about half way through to show a course correction.
main.php

Complete view from the back of the concrete arrow looking east.
main.php

Shot of the generator mounts that would have been inside of the shed.
main.php

main.php

The old step that would have stood in front of the shed access door.
main.php

One of many old oil filters that most likely belonged to the generators.
main.php

Tangle of old conduit nearby.
main.php

Final shot of just the concrete arrow and looking toward the west.
main.php

And, that's it for Part 9 of our Concrete Arrow Quest. If you would like to see more of our adventures looking for Transcontinental Airway Beacons, click on the link below:
CONCRETE ARROW QUEST : Search for Transcontinental Airway Beacons

:cool:

chipper

CONCRETE ARROW QUEST : Search for Transcontinental Airway Beacons - Part 9

Very interesting , thanks for sharing this with us. I never knew these even existed . Wonder if there's any in Florida.

Very interesting , thanks for sharing this with us. I never knew these even existed . Wonder if there's any in Florida.

In one of the other threads about the Arrows there is a google maps link with beacon locations. The ones in Florida look either built over or reclaimed by the swamps.

M38A1Driver

Here are a couple more for you...

This looks like so much fun to go out an explore! :thumb: Thanks for sharing Eddie!

I haven't been to these yet, the first is on the north bound side of I-15 near Afton Rd., The second is on the South Bound side of I-15 between Halloran Summit and Halloran Springs.

Avaition Arrow - JNO Afton Rd. NB I-15.jpg Aviation Arrow - Afton Rd..jpg Aviation Arrow - Halloran Summit I-15.jpg Aviation Arrow - Halloran Summit I-15 #2.jpg

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I haven't been to these yet, the first is on the north bound side of I-15 near Afton Rd., The second is on the South Bound side of I-15 between Halloran Summit and Halloran Springs.

Been wanting to go to Halloran Springs myself. I believe it's easily reached from the I-15 exit. Only problem is it's private property belonging to a mining company. They may be friendly, or not. Let us know how it works out if you go.:thumb:

M38A1Driver

Been wanting to go to Halloran Springs myself. I believe it's easily reached from the I-15 exit. Only problem is it's private property belonging to a mining company. They may be friendly, or not. Let us know how it works out if you go.:thumb:

Will do, wasn't aware of the mining interest. I know someone goes up there and refreshes the cross on the knob periodically.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I've tried finding a way to the Afton Canyon one but there are no longer any roads that you can take to it. The one main road near the freeway exit is fenced off and private property. You could probably hike to it but if I recall, it's still about a mile or so from the nearest road. I had not been up to the Halloran Summit arrow but it was on my to do list. Bummer if access to it is on private land as well.

M38A1Driver

I've tried finding a way to the Afton Canyon one but there are no longer any roads that you can take to it. The one main road near the freeway exit is fenced off and private property. You could probably hike to it but if I recall, it's still about a mile or so from the nearest road. I had not been up to the Halloran Summit arrow but it was on my to do list. Bummer if access to it is on private land as well.

I'm in the area pretty often, I will see what I can come up with.

M38A1Driver

Arrow near Afton Canyon CA

Great series Eddie & Cindy. That's the kind of exploring I like. There are tons of history still out there to find or re-locate and keep alive for future generations. :D

After catching the bug from Eddie & Cindy the "Quest Masters", I started looking for a couple arrows in my area. Found this one, you can't drive to it anymore (legally) so a short hike got me there.

Arrow2.jpg imagejpeg_1 (2).jpg imagejpeg_0 (3).jpg imagejpeg_0 (2).jpg imagejpeg_0 (1).jpg Arrow11.jpg Arrow10.jpg Arrow9.jpg Arrow8.jpg Arrow8 (1).jpg Arrow7.jpg Arrow5.jpg Arrow4.jpg Arrow3.jpg imagejpeg_1.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you so much for posting these photos up Larry!! I just love how different so many of these concrete arrows are and this one is really unique in that it literally wraps around the top of the hillside. I also have to wonder where the generator shed might have been. This is definitely one I've been wanting to see for a while now - great find!! :thumb:

Top Bottom