CONFIRMATION of the JL Wrangler 3.0L Diesel Engine

Ddays

Hooked
I used my Google-fu skills & looked up DEF and have a decent knowledge of it but still have a couple questions:
Assuming a 1 gallon DEF reservoir and a 50:1 ratio you'd need to refill the reservoir at what, every 3rd or 4th tank full of diesel?
What happens if you run out of DEF? Will the engine still operate? Is this an issue with guys that have diesels?

A 2.5 gallon container is roughly $12 so I guess it's not really that expensive, but still, it's one more thing to have to buy.

Edit: found this on www.discoverdef.com: "Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) freezes into a crystalline slush at 12°F (-11°C) and should not be kept at temperatures above 86°F (30°C)"

DEF looks to be a pain in the arse. What do you guys do in the SW where it's 110*?

Last edited:

Turbotastic

I used my Google-fu skills & looked up DEF and have a decent knowledge of it but still have a couple questions:
Assuming a 1 gallon DEF reservoir and a 50:1 ratio you'd need to refill the reservoir at what, every 3rd or 4th tank full of diesel?
What happens if you run out of DEF? Will the engine still operate? Is this an issue with guys that have diesels?

A 2.5 gallon container is roughly $12 so I guess it's not really that expensive, but still, it's one more thing to have to buy.

My parents had an X5 diesel for a few years. It went through a tank of DEF every 4-5K miles. Depends on how you drive though. More aggressive driving will use more DEF. When the DEF was low, a warning would show saying that if you run out of DEF, the engine won't start. I'm not sure if that's a BMW thing or a diesel thing though.

One annoying thing I remember about that car was having to use an adapter nozzle at some diesel pumps. This means possibly getting diesel on your hands or clothes. Generally even touching a diesel pump means smelling like diesel for a good part of the day, in my experience.

jeffj

Caught the Bug

Edit: found this on www.discoverdef.com: "Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) freezes into a crystalline slush at 12°F (-11°C) and should not be kept at temperatures above 86°F (30°C)"

DEF looks to be a pain in the arse. What do you guys do in the SW where it's 110*?
I've had a diesel for about 10 years and they are really quite and clean. The DEF fluid is a pane in the ass, but not that bad either.
If you run out it will go into limp mode, which is not an option.
I have a 5 gallon tank and it ruffly get me about 6000 miles unless I'm pulling a load and then that number goes down. But with that said I have a huge engine so I'm not sure what the 3.0 would do.
And one more thing, diesels are awesome to run, with all the torque at low rpm's it doesn't shift that much. And the engines last a lot longer.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

Just remember guys, the Grand Cherokee with this same motor gets 19 city 26 highway. The JL presumably will be lighter than the WK2, so you could see a Wrangler giving you 20+ city and possibly low 30s highway :shock:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Just remember guys, the Grand Cherokee with this same motor gets 19 city 26 highway. The JL presumably will be lighter than the WK2, so you could see a Wrangler giving you 20+ city and possibly low 30s highway :shock:

That would be really crazy to get 30mpg in a Wrangler:shock: Cant wait to see the specs

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

The MPG is definitely a big plus for me. A co-worker has a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel and claims to get 32mpg if he keeps it under 65mph on the highways.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
How much does the diesel add to the price of the GC? While I'm sure a lot of people will jump on this diesel, the thought of paying $55k+ for a "fully loaded" Wrangler kind of blows my mind.

resqman911

Ok I'm stupid when it comes to diesels. How do these HP and Torque numbers translate to a Jeep running 37-40s and loaded down with bumpers winch etc.....

I have a 2011 with the 3.8 pushing 37s and considering a V8 swap in the future, would this diesel provide the similar road manners as a 5.3 ? Or 6.2 ?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
How much does the diesel add to the price of the GC? While I'm sure a lot of people will jump on this diesel, the thought of paying $55k+ for a "fully loaded" Wrangler kind of blows my mind.

Weird but I don't see the Ecodiesel as an option under any of the GCs on Jeep's mobile website. On the Ram's website it is a $4,270 option.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Weird but I don't see the Ecodiesel as an option under any of the GCs on Jeep's mobile website. On the Ram's website it is a $4,270 option.
Yeah, safe guess is usually about $5k at least for trucks, can't remember what it was in the GC, maybe 3800...

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

txnbyga72

It will be interesting to see this one pulled off. My wife has that engine in a 2014 Grand Cherokee. It's a beast of an engine. Gets great mpg too. However, in an extreme offroad application with the DEF system, I would think that its going to be fragile. Something that Jeep doesn't really seem to take into consideration. Plus it has a buttload of turbolag. When the power comes on, its ON! I've almost launched it across a ditch trying to get out of the way of an on coming truck. This will be interesting in a crawling application.

Top Bottom