Considering a Big Bore Box, Some Questions

Weebz

Caught the Bug
The ram is one of my favorite upgrades. No doubt you have to be more aware when bound up, but there is no substitute on the rocks.

For daily driving, once you get used to the responsiveness, it's no problem. I *finally* got my new pulley for the pump (thanks Bubba [emoji23]) and hopefully that will correct the non-responsive parking issue.

After having the ram, there's no way I wouldn't install it again if I ever build another Jeep.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I am a manual and unless you keep RPM up the “dead zone” parking still exists with the PSC pump and pulley.

Mal-Adjusted

So I took the Jeep to the shop for an inspection since it has hit 107K, I Replaced a tie rod end and the draglink passenger end since they were shot and starting to cause some Death wobble issues. One of the observations and recommendations from the shop was this:

Also there is some play in the steering gear box
sector shaft it isn’t too bad right now and honestly they have some play when new it is something we should keep and eye on going
forward or there is always the option to upgrade to a PSC big bore box.

I have the Big Bore on my list of eventual upgrade so this might fall under the 2021 tax refund upgrade cycle. Question is what do I really need vs what is a nice to have. I'm not sure if I'll be going beyond 37's to one tons and 40's but I said the same about going beyond 35's. I am aware that it might be a solid choice to buy a ported unit just in case, but I know there are a lot of other options, Pumps, reservoirs, etc. I probably don't need all of it for 37's so I just want to know what would be the stuff I would need to run 37's and the rest I could order if I decide to go with 40's and one tons down the road.

I'm currently running the PSC Big Bore and upgraded pump. I love it. This gearbox replaced a Redneck Ram setup. The RNR setup was nice, but the PSC is much easier to turn. I'm on 37s.

Last edited:

Colorado4x4

I personally have been debating this. I have a ported box (needs a rebuild from psc) and a ram sitting in the shed waiting for me to install it but have been considering just doing the big bore and maybe the pump. I daily my Jeep way more than I wheel and I think the big bore is enough for when I do.

I’m in the same boat right now. I’m glad to see a thread on this! The tough steering in the rocks is something I’ve grown used to at this point with my JK. I had hydro assist on my 93 YJ crawler and never had an issue. It did have that lag in parking lots, low RPMs that I got used to but never liked. I definitely don’t want that on my JK as a daily driver. The question to me is will I be bending even upgraded tie rod and drag link with the PSC big bore? My biggest desire for some upgrade is to prevent a sector shaft break, not for steering while locked on the trail. I can work around that. 3 or 4 years ago my buddy broke a sector shaft on Red Cone and it was a complete pain in the dick. Overnight complete repair to get another steering box at a dealership in Denver. I want to hit the Rubicon next summer and don’t want to be breaking a sector shaft out there!

fiend

Caught the Bug
I’m in the same boat right now. I’m glad to see a thread on this! The tough steering in the rocks is something I’ve grown used to at this point with my JK. I had hydro assist on my 93 YJ crawler and never had an issue. It did have that lag in parking lots, low RPMs that I got used to but never liked. I definitely don’t want that on my JK as a daily driver. The question to me is will I be bending even upgraded tie rod and drag link with the PSC big bore? My biggest desire for some upgrade is to prevent a sector shaft break, not for steering while locked on the trail. I can work around that. 3 or 4 years ago my buddy broke a sector shaft on Red Cone and it was a complete pain in the dick. Overnight complete repair to get another steering box at a dealership in Denver. I want to hit the Rubicon next summer and don’t want to be breaking a sector shaft out there!

The ram takes a lot of the stress off the drag link and sector shaft. If you have a ram.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Colorado4x4

The ram takes a lot of the stress off the drag link and sector shaft. If you have a ram.

For sure. But then you have the steering lag at low RPM and are you more likely to wear out unit bearings quicker?

fiend

Caught the Bug
For sure. But then you have the steering lag at low RPM and are you more likely to wear out unit bearings quicker?

I haven’t noticed lag, but I have a PSC pump.

Wearing out unit bearings has little to do with hydraulic steering and more to do with running oversized tires on wheels with little backspacing. My opinion, anyway.

https://youtu.be/aPcUqbv0dn4

Thread jack....Noticed this while ago. Definitely got much louder after wheeling recently....Happens worst when not moving obviously, but still noticeable when driving through the mall parking lot. Had my wife turn the steering wheel in the driveway while I had my hand on the sector shaft where it bolts to the pitman arm. Definitely feel the pop coming from the steering box...Anybody experience this as a precursor to catastrophic failure? Broken teeth maybe? Don’t have much knowledge of the inside of the gear box.

A.J.

Sounds more like something loose and binding/banging to me. If you have a helper have them steer back and forth while you try to isolate where the noise is coming from.

Edit: you did that. Is the box moving or just the shaft? Check bolts to frame and pinion nut torque.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Slimebones

https://youtu.be/aPcUqbv0dn4

Thread jack....Noticed this while ago. Definitely got much louder after wheeling recently....Happens worst when not moving obviously, but still noticeable when driving through the mall parking lot. Had my wife turn the steering wheel in the driveway while I had my hand on the sector shaft where it bolts to the pitman arm. Definitely feel the pop coming from the steering box...Anybody experience this as a precursor to catastrophic failure? Broken teeth maybe? Don’t have much knowledge of the inside of the gear box.

Have you checked the steering box to frame mounting bolts for tightness?

Sounds more like something loose and binding/banging to me. If you have a helper have them steer back and forth while you try to isolate where the noise is coming from.

Edit: you did that. Is the box moving or just the shaft? Check bolts to frame and pinion nut torque.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Have you checked the steering box to frame mounting bolts for tightness?

Good ideas...Will check more tomorrow. I can already feel the big bore being justified, regardless of my findings. This thread has got me wanting.

The clunking sound was caused by play in the reamed out pitman arm and the TRE on the drag link. Hence a popping feeling when holding the pitman arm :doh: I did a medium job reaming the pitman arm by hand and it appears it wallowed out over the summer. Conclusion: no steering gear box issues at this time...however...if I bought the big bore kit, it would come with a new pitman arm that I could machine a proper taper in[emoji57]

fiend

Caught the Bug
I guess I missed the thread. Why did you ream your pitman arm?

Top Bottom