Considering a Big Bore Box, Some Questions

Slimebones

The clunking sound was caused by play in the reamed out pitman arm and the TRE on the drag link. Hence a popping feeling when holding the pitman arm :doh: I did a medium job reaming the pitman arm by hand and it appears it wallowed out over the summer. Conclusion: no steering gear box issues at this time...however...if I bought the big bore kit, it would come with a new pitman arm that I could machine a proper taper in[emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Self inflicted excuse to buy the big box. Nice.

JKbrick

Exactly.

The 1 Ton GM end didn’t fit into the stock hole. I will say that on the other end of the drag link, I drilled out the knuckle and used the Synergy tapered insert and that thing is solid as hell. Nice solution by Synergy.

Why couldn’t you use the same insert with the correct taper on the pitman arm? Not that the new steering box wouldn’t be nice to have

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
The 1 Ton GM end didn’t fit into the stock hole. I will say that on the other end of the drag link, I drilled out the knuckle and used the Synergy tapered insert and that thing is solid as hell. Nice solution by Synergy.

What draglink do you have?

Why couldn’t you use the same insert with the correct taper on the pitman arm? Not that the new steering box wouldn’t be nice to have

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It didn’t fit. The pitman arm end of the TRE was a larger diameter than the knuckle end.

What draglink do you have?

Exodus aluminum. Came with the 1 Ton ends. It’s a really nice kit, I just should have used the correct taper bit to ream the arm. The bit I had was slightly off.

Last edited:

TrailHunter

Hooked
Exodus aluminum. Came with the 1 Ton ends. It’s a really nice kit, I just should have used the correct taper bit to ream the arm. The bit I had was slightly off.

Ahh, got it... I thought you had a Synergy Drag Link. I have the Exodus Tie Rod and the Synergy Drag Link. Their Drag link doesn’t require drilling the Pitman Arm.

Ahh, got it... I thought you had a Synergy Drag Link. I have the Exodus Tie Rod and the Synergy Drag Link. Their Drag link doesn’t require drilling the Pitman Arm.

Oh I see, gotchya. We have the opposite setup, haha. Both great products. Given them a good bit of abuse lately.

Colorado4x4

Does anybody know if there are clearance issues with the Big Bore box and any aftermarket drag links? I’m looking at picking up a new flipped drag link and I’m looking at Synergy or Currie. I just want to make sure there aren’t any clearance issues if I get the Big Bore box down the road. Thanks.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Does anybody know if there are clearance issues with the Big Bore box and any aftermarket drag links? I’m looking at picking up a new flipped drag link and I’m looking at Synergy or Currie. I just want to make sure there aren’t any clearance issues if I get the Big Bore box down the road. Thanks.

No, I ran a synergy and it works perfectly. And actually you need an upgraded one because of the strength of the big bore will bend the stock if it’s bound up

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom