Coolant smell 3.6

5280Sapper

my 16 did the same thing after i took it in for a free oil change. and the service fella gladly told me the tech topped off my coolant at 11000 miles.. I asked why? he was perplexed... took it home smelt the nasty and pressure tested it and never dropped at all. when ever I'm wheeling and its warm out I'll smell it the next day weird but engine is dry as a bone everywhere. I'm not to concerned either because I'm swapping motors for 2 more cylinders.. But recently haven't smelt anything I'm at 28,000 miles in less then a year no issues so far.

bouche03

Mine went in today and dealer called to tell me radiator was bad, and was being replaced. 30,000 miles on the Jeep. They did however, charge me labor to remove the winch to get to the radiator.

BlackDiamond_JKU

my 16 did the same thing after i took it in for a free oil change. and the service fella gladly told me the tech topped off my coolant at 11000 miles.. I asked why? he was perplexed... took it home smelt the nasty and pressure tested it and never dropped at all. when ever I'm wheeling and its warm out I'll smell it the next day weird but engine is dry as a bone everywhere. I'm not to concerned either because I'm swapping motors for 2 more cylinders.. But recently haven't smelt anything I'm at 28,000 miles in less then a year no issues so far.

Same here, they topped me off at 7k in 16' when my shifter bushing went out. Now anytime I wheel I smell a faint coolant smell. No leaks, levels are all the same...no clue.

Black [emoji184] Diamond
2016 JKUR - 6 Speed Manual
Evo Double D Pro; Long Arm kit
Evo DL flip
King Coilovers & King Bumpstops
Quarter Pounder Front Bumper
Warn VR8000-S
Rigid Lighting
Evo Rock Rails w/ Rock Guards
Evo Rear Corners (solid, but fit like shit)
Evo rear fascia
Evo Trans Skid
Nitto Trail Grappler 37's
Trussed & Gusseted Rubicon D 44's
4.88 gears
Method NV 101

-Waiting for delivery-
Hardcore Pro Rock 60/60 set w/ 5.13's & Eaton Lockers
PSC Hydro Assist
KMC Machete Beadlocks

RUBEERCON

They just replaced my cousins radiator on his 2015. He told me to head to the dealer, we have smelled the odor on most of our off road trips and figured it was from sloshing because we’re never low on coolant. He had a tiny leak but no residual fluid ever made it to the garage floor.

I’ll update after I take mine in.

Ddays

Hooked
I'm on my 3rd rad with only 52k miles on my '14. This is bullshit. The factory one lasted a little over 30k before shitting itself. I had to change the tstat housing right before that. The cheapo rad I bought lasted 22k and it has now shit itself. I went with a Mopar one this time but this seems to be turning into an annual deal. :mad:

Scrambler

I'm on my 3rd rad with only 52k miles on my '14. This is bullshit. The factory one lasted a little over 30k before shitting itself. I had to change the tstat housing right before that. The cheapo rad I bought lasted 22k and it has now shit itself. I went with a Mopar one this time but this seems to be turning into an annual deal. :mad:

That’s crazy. Makes you wonder what goes into the QC check on these things. Hopefully the third times a charm and this one will be the last one for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I was pretty lucky with my factory. Well over 100,000 Miles. Then replaced with a Quadretec Mopar replacement. I do still smell coolant. Have not noticed any leaks. My first one was a pin hole in the side. Hell, the stealership did not even find it. I've never been too impressed with them anyway.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

scull20

I’m on a year and 10k-ish thousand miles with an OSC brand replacement from amazon. No issues yet, knock on wood. OEM started leaking around 52k miles.

MrEmmDubya

My 2016 is in the shop as we speak with the sweet smell, not strong but I can tell it's there....pretty sure it's the radiator, they will call and let me know.

Beasticon

My 2016 is in the shop as we speak with the sweet smell, not strong but I can tell it's there....pretty sure it's the radiator, they will call and let me know.

I took my 2015 to the stealership and was told it held pressure. Couldn’t stand the smell with the top off so I got some dye from Amazon and put a black light on it and it was leaking at the seems. Went straight back and the radiator was replace under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepFan

Hooked
My 2015 JK with 26k miles has developed this issue. Smell but no visible leak found. I have an appointment to get it checked out and will report on what the mechanic finds. 😬

Top Bottom