Coolant smell 3.6

sparks

2017 with 24k Miles has coolant smell.... last night I hit the radiator with a bright light and saw dried purple coolant on fins so I added it to the list of issues when I dropped it off at dealer this morning - mainly leaking top.
My 2014 needed t-stat housing and radiator too around 25k.

One can hope the JL radiator is a little better ... I guess time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Well, this is a timely thread. I read through it a couple of weeks ago and then a few days later I smelled that sweet scent at the front of my own Jeep. After a little investigating I found the source:

IMG_6554.jpg

High on the drivers side.

Gbint

Have had a coolant smell since new on my 14 JK. mentioned several times to my looser dealer to no avail. Still there, still no found. Will look today at the top of rad where pic depicts location. Maybe once and for all I can locate source. Too lat for warranty if it’s the rad though. See, you can teach an old mechanic new tricks[emoji4]

sparks

2017 with 24k Miles has coolant smell.... last night I hit the radiator with a bright light and saw dried purple coolant on fins so I added it to the list of issues when I dropped it off at dealer this morning - mainly leaking top.
My 2014 needed t-stat housing and radiator too around 25k.

One can hope the JL radiator is a little better ... I guess time will tell.

Update on my end - dealer called yesterday and confirmed they’re replacing the radiator
today...

sipafz

Caught the Bug
New radiator was installed today under warranty. Glad I was able to find the issue and move quickly on it!

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
I have the same sweet smell but no drips on my 2015. Took it in to the dealer and of course they have not heard of any issues. I guess I need to look and see if I can find a leak and then point it out to them.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I have the same sweet smell but no drips on my 2015. Took it in to the dealer and of course they have not heard of any issues. I guess I need to look and see if I can find a leak and then point it out to them.

I started to get a coolant smell a while back. I'm having my cooling system pressure tested tomorrow at a buddy's shop.

Mine passed the pressure test. It was a good thing that I took the time to find the leak and provide photographic evidence. With out it, it would not have been fixed.

JeepFan

Hooked
Recently had my 2015 at the dealer for the coolant smell. They replaced the radiator cap and thermostat housing. No smell since then.

They explained the cap was only holding 12psi of pressure when it should hold 18psi.

They also mentioned the thermostat housing had a slight leak. Funny thing is I didn't detect any evidence of a leak before I brought it to the dealer.

Recently had my 2015 at the dealer for the coolant smell. They replaced the radiator cap and thermostat housing. No smell since then.

They explained the cap was only holding 12psi of pressure when it should hold 18psi.

They also mentioned the thermostat housing had a slight leak. Funny thing is I didn't detect any evidence of a leak before I brought it to the dealer.

Hmm

I’ll have to swap caps. Mine has been smelly for months and I have all but given up looking for a leak. I have never had to add coolant and I can’t see any visible evidence of a leak.

JeepFan

Hooked
Hmm

I’ll have to swap caps. Mine has been smelly for months and I have all but given up looking for a leak. I have never had to add coolant and I can’t see any visible evidence of a leak.
Also, take a look at the thermostat housing. There could be a slight leak at the bleeder screw that leaves a crusty residue.

66Buck

I had the same smell from the day I drove my 15 jkur off the lot. Took ~24 months for leak to show up. Leak was in radiator at plastic tank and aluminum seal. Dealer replaced under warranty. Temp did run high (135-140 deg) a few times here in Colorado at higher elevations. No overheating after radiator replaced.

Buck

Nespoli1

Pull shroud at top just under hood. Pull 4 push pins. Look down driver side. That’s where mine was. Pink coolant. All dried up. Had to physically show dealership mechanic. Got it replaced under warranty cause only had 18000 miles but warranty dried up three weeks ago.

sparks

Pull shroud at top just under hood. Pull 4 push pins. Look down driver side. That’s where mine was. Pink coolant. All dried up. Had to physically show dealership mechanic. Got it replaced under warranty cause only had 18000 miles but warranty dried up three weeks ago.

^ this in both my 2014 and 2017 JKUs

Top Bottom