D 30s.............

xflstl

Clearly, an expert like you would know for a fact that the end forgings are what you were seeing bend and not the tubes.

Sorry, I'm far from being the badass that you clearly are.

It is of my opinion that not all 60's are equal or are made the same. What you chose to buy and broke may not be something I'd consider a good investment and I might recommend that people not waste their money on it.

I am trying to get clarification on your logic. If an axle can still bend or break with a sleeve , there by making sleeves worthless (YOUR OPINION). Then if you apply that to say C gussets, even someone with my limited experience (honestly it's limited) has seen C's still bend with gussets. Then they must be worthless as well. .. True D60's are not all created equal, they can all be broken... So by your logic if it can and might or will still break it must be worthless.

My point in all this? Its your opinion that sleeves are worthless. .. That is perfectly fine, many people share that same opinion. My opinion differ ' s and that's fine as well.
Just because you have the opinion they are worthless doesn't make it a fact.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am trying to get clarification on your logic. If an axle can still bend or break with a sleeve , there by making sleeves worthless (YOUR OPINION). Then if you apply that to say C gussets, even someone with my limited experience (honestly it's limited) has seen C's still bend with gussets. Then they must be worthless as well.

There is a BIG difference between taking a long 2.5" tube that's only .25" thick and then adding a second tube inside of it and believing it's now somehow so much stronger AND, taking a short cast end forging and gusseting it up. I'll be honest, even the later is a borderline waste of money but to this day, I have NOT seen an axle C with a gusset bend more than it already had prior to the installation and have someone PROVE it. What I have seen are axle tubes that STILL BREAK in spite of being sleeved, just as you have. I have seen them bend and it be proven with a straight edge and I have seen them develop axle seal leaks because of the bend. But then, I'm all new to this Jeep stuff let alone JK stuff so you can take what I have to say for what it's worth.

True D60's are not all created equal, they can all be broken... So by your logic if it can and might or will still break it must be worthless.

Like I said, I'm far from being the badass that you clearly are. Don't know what you would consider to be "worthy" D60 but whatever it is, it sounds like it's something that I would consider to be worthless.

My point in all this? Its your opinion that sleeves are worthless. .. That is perfectly fine, many people share that same opinion. My opinion differ ' s and that's fine as well.
Just because you have the opinion they are worthless doesn't make it a fact.

And my point to all this is that I disagree with your opinion - that is the reason why we're having this discussion now. Since you seemed to have missed it, I am trying to show others why I think you're wrong. Unlike you, I know what it's like to build up a Jeep on a budget. I remember what it was like to get bad advice from guys like you who's only purpose was to eagerly encourage others to spend money on parts and just because you've chosen to buy it. If I'm guilty of anything, it's that I want to try and help others from making the same mistakes that I have, to make informed decisions about the things they're looking to buy and with any luck, based on things that I have seen and have learned over the years. In the end, people will need to determine for themselves if anything I have to say has merit. Of course, I don't know you from Adam but there's no doubt in my mind that you're badass and an expert on all things Jeep. Ultimately, people reading this thread will spend their money on their Jeep, however they see fit and to me, that's perfectly fine.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I'd go so far as to say that sleeves make a break at the pumpkin more likely as they will reduce the ability of the tube to absorb shocks elastically and instead transfer all of the force to the end of the tube where it connects to the pumpkin.

10abadilla/jk

Adding to this thread with a question I agree axle sleeves are a huge waste of money. But what is the opinion of welding the axle tube to the diff housing? I have considered going as far as gussets and welding tubes to housing. Gussets are for sure but still trying to get information of the other.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Adding to this thread with a question I agree axle sleeves are a huge waste of money. But what is the opinion of welding the axle tube to the diff housing? I have considered going as far as gussets and welding tubes to housing. Gussets are for sure but still trying to get information of the other.

Not really needed. If anything just make sure the plug welds are filled in fully and leave it alone.

10abadilla/jk

Not really needed. If anything just make sure the plug welds are filled in fully and leave it alone.

I had one plug weld leak slightly. The weld was cracked. I had a buddy just fill what was cracked and missing after we cleaned it. Not the greatest weld but has stopped it from leaking

Attachments

• 1470711420962.jpg
    1470711420962.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 1470711470716.jpg
    1470711470716.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 93

10abadilla/jk

How was the weld leaking? :hmm:

You know I'm not to sure. Went wheelin one day and the first part of the trail was a lot of washboard. When we got back home I looked over everything and noticed it leaking from there. Cleaned it up and waited until the next day. The next day I checked it and slight seepage was coming from it. We were able to use a flat head and flake off almost half of the plug. We cleaned it up and being that he has a welder I had him "fill" it.

Jk_nate

Why in the world is this guy still arguing with Eddie? I don't know if I should laugh or feel bad for the guy. I did c gussets and a truss on my Dana 44. Could be a waste of money and possibly could save my axle from bending. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't post a pic of a axle broke with a truss and then go on and on about how great they are... That's just me though.

Top Bottom