Daily Living with 3.5" Lift?

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
All the comments appreciated. It's much as I expected and, as noted, simply part of what we contend with. The rigid grabbars I'll need to look into. I've also contemplated some of the different rock sliders. Though, I am not inclined to get ones with built-in steps or 'rock catchers.' :) We'll see, still early in the game.

Tnlrat37

My wife's one caveat for me to lift my Jeep was she needed lower steps. I got the Amp research power steps and have had them on a year now. While they are cool to see, I'm paranoid every time I think about hitting them on something. I've already had to replace the coupler that attaches to the motor once. I wish I would have got the Rock slide ones instead but didn't see them until I had already installed mine:crybaby:

RjSkippy

Eddie's comment summarizes it perfectly. I had the same debate in my own head (3.5" or 2"-2.5"), I talked to a lot of people and went with a 2" Mopar lift on 33" because for the most part it's a daily driver. I am happy with the decision, I am 5' 11" and getting in and out is not bad at all (unless I am really abused after a work-out). My GF is 5'3" and she can get in and out relatively easy, however, my dad does struggle getting in and out but other than that I have found it very functional and it handled very well off-road.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
All the comments appreciated. It's much as I expected and, as noted, simply part of what we contend with. The rigid grabbars I'll need to look into. I've also contemplated some of the different rock sliders. Though, I am not inclined to get ones with built-in steps or 'rock catchers.' :) We'll see, still early in the game.

Here's my jeep which has 3.5" lift with 37s and it's a little bit of a leap for me. I'm 5'10". My friend's jeep that I just built has a 2.5" lift with 35s and LōD sliders which make it easy for her to get in and out of. The 2.5" lift goes well with the 35s. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456674548.700021.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456674563.521896.jpg

JoeB-JKURX

Jeep Stirrup

I have the "deluxe" sliders from Mopar (two tubes with cross pieces welded in) - 3.5" lift/35s - going to 37 shortly. Works fine for me (5-8) to use as a step (and I usually pull myself up with the grab handle and/or steering wheel). Wife hated getting in (even when stock with no lift - she's 5-0). Found a thing on-line called a Jeep Stirrup (don't believe it is a brand name but rather is offered by several outfits). Has a hook that hangs on the edge of the door and a strap with a rigid loop that looks just like a horse stirrup for the foot. She says the lifted Jeep is now easier to get into with the stirrup than when it was stock (without the stirrup). After she's in, she reaches down and lifts the stirrup into the Jeep. It sits unobtrusively on the floor in front of her seat. A lot easier to deal with than a step stool. Cost about $40.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Awhile ago I came across the slider steps below. <snip>
https://www.rockslideengineering.com/product/step-slider/

I've seen this sort of thing before. On full-size trucks, like our Suburban, I saw more than one fail over time. No clear reason why, perhaps lack of preventative maintenance, lubrication/cleaning. Aside from their price, my biggest concern is how they'd survive after a few good lateral impacts against rock, fallen log, what-have-you.

:)

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Carolina metal masters front grab bars. Thank me later.

Indeed. Spent a while on their site just now. Nice products. Helps having a likeable fellow doing install videos to convey the right impression. From what I saw, these look to be the most appealing grab handles I've seen. Particularly liked the rear grabs for the kids.

Thanks.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
You could always toss one of these in the back for when someone needs an extra step up.

http://www.amazon.com/Plastics-101-6-White-EZ-Foldz/dp/B000NOUQRA

Thanks. We do have a Fisher Price stool we like using for guests. Amazing how robust a 'toy' step stool can be<g>. But that falls outside my scope of use for 'daily living.'

First blush, I really like those Carolina Metal grab bars :). Something like that, on the AEV truck I hopped (uh, scrabbled) into, would've left a much more positive first-impression.

Again, thanks for the ideas folks. Learning every day.

RockyJk

I'm on the short side myself and use my Evo sliders to get in as you can tell lol
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456681707.363417.jpg

4" lift on 37's

moto450r

jtpederson
The EVO sliders like RockyJk has is what I was referring to in my post. Sorry I wasn't clear about that.

.... Also, I think there are some sliders that don't have an electric step but they do stick out far enough to form a step.

.....Though, I am not inclined to get ones with built-in steps or 'rock catchers.'

I'm on the short side myself and use my Evo sliders to get in as you can tell lol
View attachment 190510

4" lift on 37's

I had 35s and a 3 inch lift on my TJ. I'm 6'2" with 32" inseam. I didn't find it to be difficult to get in and out of. I did have rails that also were wide enough to use as steps for my 5'3" wife. For this reason I plan on using the LOD sliders when I get my JK

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
4" lift on 37's
jtpedersen
The EVO sliders like RockyJk has is what I was referring to in my post. Sorry I wasn't clear about that.

I'd been wondering about taking that approach. In my neck of the woods, I've not encountered many that have anything similar, let alone talk with them. More mud, yuck, and logs, than major rock outcroppings:). Had been curious if they'd help (clearly for you it seems to). Or, if they'd be an encumbrance.

Thanks.

Havoc40

I have my coilovers set at right around 3.5" of lift with 37's. I'm 5'11" and it's not terrible to get into without a step. My girlfriend is about 5' so I bought the low angle EVO sliders. They work great! For me, it completely eliminated dragging my feet across the rocker/sill.

I put grip tape on mine

20160128_205224.jpg

KYRubi

I'm running a 4" long arm and 37's. I'm 5'11" and not very flexible and a little overweight. I had to install some metal grabbars to assist getting in. The soft ones that mount to the factory cage do not help much. The metal ones are great. I just lift my leg as high as it will go, put it in the Jeep, grab the metal handle, and a little pull combined with a little hop and I am in.

Top Bottom