Dana 30 and 37's

cocokrispes

A few years ago when I had my other jk I went to Rausch Creek with some other jks. One guy in a JKU was running a d30, upgraded gears and lockers on 37s. He decided to try a black trail and just shattered the front end. We spent several hours getting him out.
From personal experience I wouldn't do it.
I have now a JKU with a d30 in the front and I plan to (thanks to the advice of other members) will do c gussets and a few other little things. But only run 35's until I'm ready to upgrade to a bigger front.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

JMac79

Anyone running a jk with the 30 up front and 37's. I'm looking at keeping mine for awhile and added an arb and chromoly axles and was wondering if anyone has experience with this set-up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I would wait and save. Part of saving is sacrificing now for a payoff later. We might all have different budgets, and we all have an expensive hobby. Sometimes we seek advice to back our ideas but I wouldn't recommend it. Unless like someone else said it's more for the looks (which 37's look awesome) and skip the ARB for now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
I run 37s unlocked on a Dana30 and it scares the shit out of me out west. I can't do anything crazy and have to stay off the skinny pedal. If you must run a 30, like others have said, don't put a locker in.

Hot94Z28

Not everyone has an endless supply of money

Really? You are wanting to throw at least a couple grand at the D30 from the sounds of it. Plus the cost of 37's. We are not telling you to get a PR44, even though that would be your best solution. You can usually pick up a set of rubicon axles for not much more than what you are thinking of spending on your D30. Then you would have both axles locked and a better chance of holding up. Running 37's is going to cost you in supporting mods if you want to run them properly.

Also I'm glad I could give everyone a laugh lol.

RichW

Ok - We all get that! You might not want to hear this, but maybe 37's aren't in your wheelhouse right now? Tires are just part of the equation. I can only guess that you have 3.73 gears at best? What about gussets? A locked D30 with 3.73 or 3.21, and no gussets sounds like a disaster and a waste of money or a great (expensive) way to expedite that new axel.
If I upgraded it, it would be 5.13's. And that's why I asked to see if anyone has done it and if they had any luck with it. The sad thing about this forum is that a lot of people just want to provide sarcasm and not real answers.

RichW

A few years ago when I had my other jk I went to Rausch Creek with some other jks. One guy in a JKU was running a d30, upgraded gears and lockers on 37s. He decided to try a black trail and just shattered the front end. We spent several hours getting him out.
From personal experience I wouldn't do it.
I have now a JKU with a d30 in the front and I plan to (thanks to the advice of other members) will do c gussets and a few other little things. But only run 35's until I'm ready to upgrade to a bigger front.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app
And this is the kind of info that helps, thank you I appreciate it. Real world examples to go by to help make choices.
Im running 35's on a open dirty 30. These dudes just trying to keep you from prematurely detonating your front axle. Trust me Im a building on a very tight budget and want to do things once. I cant afford oops. Just use the advise with the pros and cons and rock on with your decision. Bottom line is its your rig and your $. The group is just trying to save you headaches later.

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

WJCO

Meme King
If I upgraded it, it would be 5.13's. And that's why I asked to see if anyone has done it and if they had any luck with it. The sad thing about this forum is that a lot of people just want to provide sarcasm and not real answers.

If you're wise enough to see the sarcasm, then you should be wise enough to read between it and see that the 'real answers' were provided to you in this thread. As clear as can be: Locking your Dana 30 is NOT a good idea, especially if you're running 37s.

Hot94Z28

I don't care what forum you get on none of them will say it's a good idea to upgrade your dirty 30.

The most someone should do is put some C-gussets
on, and the biggest tire anyone should recommend is 35's and leave the carrier open. If you're wanting to put all this money in a D30 why not save it and put it towards something you would not need to question being able to handle what you want to run.

TRLJNKY

The dirty 30 crew is just screwed Rich. We want to play with what we have but we have to do it smart. I live out west and i feel like Im living on borrowed time even on 35's. The best advice to me was at the most do the C's and do not go bigger than 4.88 because the pinion becomes a weak spot. Im still running 4.10's currently but realize 4.88's are my golden ticket. I'd much prefer the 5.13's because my future says 37's and Prorock 44 but when I look at my bank account it just laughs at me.

Like I said before they are trying to keep you from making a costly mistake. It may not be what you want to hear but its the truth regardless. As far as sarcasm? Look past it. Its actually one of things I love about this forum. Maybe its just the Vet in me because I feel at home. Always giving eahother hell for fun but in the end we have eachothers back

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

I think OverlanderJK ran like that, for a while, but with only a rear locker. C gussets up front. He may have been on 35's, though. Don't lock the front.

RichW

The dirty 30 crew is just screwed Rich. We want to play with what we have but we have to do it smart. I live out west and i feel like Im living on borrowed time even on 35's. The best advice to me was at the most do the C's and do not go bigger than 4.88 because the pinion becomes a weak spot. Im still running 4.10's currently but realize 4.88's are my golden ticket. I'd much prefer the 5.13's because my future says 37's and Prorock 44 but when I look at my bank account it just laughs at me.

Like I said before they are trying to keep you from making a costly mistake. It may not be what you want to hear but its the truth regardless. As far as sarcasm? Look past it. Its actually one of things I love about this forum. Maybe its just the Vet in me because I feel at home. Always giving eahother hell for fun but in the end we have eachothers back

Coming from a fellow vet, the sarcasm is great at the right time. And my other option is putting a G2 core 44 up front with an ARB. Most likely what I will do now and some other things will just have to wait.

RichW

Coming from a fellow vet, the sarcasm is great at the right time. And my other option is putting a G2 core 44 up front with an ARB. Most likely what I will do now and some other things will just have to wait.

Cavfighter, what about the rear 44, is it worth spending the money on an ARB and chromo axles for it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not everyone has an endless supply of money

As much as it seems to have been getting under your skin, people here HAVE BEEN trying to help you not spend more money than you need.

Cavfighter, what about the rear 44, is it worth spending the money on an ARB and chromo axles for it?

Don't know if you're only responding to Stephen now but a Sport or Sahara rear 44 is a good axle and one that upgrading to an ARB and 35 spline shafts IS a worthy investment. This as opposed to throwing any money at a Dana 30 which is in fact, a complete waste of money.

RichW

As much as it seems to have been getting under your skin, people here HAVE BEEN trying to help you not spend more money than you need.

Don't know if you're only responding to Stephen now but a Sport or Sahara rear 44 is a good axle and one that upgrading to an ARB and 35 spline shafts IS a worthy investment. This as opposed to throwing any money at a Dana 30 which is in fact, a complete waste of money.
Thanks, I appreciate the information. And no I will respond to anyone sarcasm or not, and some of its been pretty funny. I would just appreciate the sarcasm being followed with reasoning why. There is no doubt there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum. Tempering the sarcasm with real answers would probably encourage a lot of others to participate. And part of the problem was my poorly worded post to start with. Thanks to everyone who answered.

icufltrn

I have the "dirty" 30 on the front of mine. I did the Cs and regeared it but left it open. I locked the rear, trussed it and did 35 spline Chromo shafts. I have wheeled is a bunch of times but am nervous about it every time. My prorock 44 has been ordered for about 6 weeks and is scheduled to arrive this week. Can't wait until it is in and get it broken in.

Top Bottom