Dana 60 Front Axle Options

jkwebbie

What about junkyard Dana 60s out of a truck? Wouldn't they be a lot cheaper? I know they wouldn't have a warranty on them but I've seen Rock Bouncers abuse some 1 ton axles more than I ever have seen a JK do. Just an option :thumb:

computeruser6

What about junkyard Dana 60s out of a truck? Wouldn't they be a lot cheaper? I know they wouldn't have a warranty on them but I've seen Rock Bouncers abuse some 1 ton axles more than I ever have seen a JK do. Just an option :thumb:

A rear Dana 60 isn't that common anymore, but a front Dana 60 and Ford 10.5/11.5" from a F-250/350 should be easy enough to find. As far as cost goes, the initial investment may be low. The axles will probably have an undesirable gear ratio, may need new seals and bearings, and may need new brackets. Another option to look at would be custom housings that use third-members rather than a cast centersection. Dynatrac makes fine axles, but ProRocks are very heavy (450lbs or more). A Ford 9" or Toyota based axle will add strength over stock axles, have better clearance yet still be lighter than a Dana 60.

linehand08

I bought a set of used rock jock 60s and I'm hear to tell ya the internal parts are fine the way Currie set's them up is F'd up a major fail point for the ring and pinion is the fact they use crush washer's on the pinion and over time some times sooner than later they let gear tolerances get out of whack and bam you have a problem. So you should have a washer machined once gear mesh has been achieved to take place of that crush washer also switch sides of how they plumb the arb they run copper tube over the top of the gear set and then using bailing wire to hold it in place it's a problem. Also after doing water crossing's you should clean and re grease the unit bearing's up front because they will seize over time and your front wheel might just fall off because they are non serviceable like the dynatrac one's. so if you can deal with all that right after you buy them you'll be fine. everything breaks and nothing is truly bullet proof.

computeruser6

I bought a set of used rock jock 60s and I'm hear to tell ya the internal parts are fine the way Currie set's them up is F'd up a major fail point for the ring and pinion is the fact they use crush washer's on the pinion and over time some times sooner than later they let gear tolerances get out of whack and bam you have a problem.

Stock Dana 30's and 44's also use a collapsible spacer.

also switch sides of how they plumb the arb they run copper tube over the top of the gear set and then using bailing wire to hold it in place it's a problem.

In ARB's instructions the air line is shown going over the top of the gear set, so that part is fine. Not sure why a hard line like that would have bailing wire holding in place, or anything holding it place for that matter.

Also after doing water crossing's you should clean and re grease the unit bearing's up front because they will seize over time and your front wheel might just fall off because they are non serviceable like the dynatrac one's. so if you can deal with all that right after you buy them you'll be fine.

This statement makes no sense. Did you somehow manage to pull apart and successfully re-assemble a unitbearing? I'd love to see some pictures of this...

If you go back and watch a few of WAL videos, you will see Randy carrying extra shafts for his axles too. I want to say that he went through a few shafts and R&P's. My money would be on Dynatrac! Go back and look at a few shots of Mel in the TJ, on 35's "bounce into and over" a huge bolder at KOH. He was flying when he hit it!!! Up an over and without a single problem with the axle housing or the internals!!

linehand08

Most axles do use crush washer's but one's that see heavy abuse should machine one to take its place.

as far as arb plumbing Im Not real sure why they did that either but, plumbing it in the way my axle builder did it is a better option.

No I do not pull the unit bearing apart but you can flush it out with solvent and re grease so water doesn't stay trapped in there and rust till the bearing seized.

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
The currie rock jock 60 rear is a high pinion. Pretty sure the dynatrac is a low pinion rear. A high pinion rear axle has the power applied to the coast side of the gears, which makes it more prone to breakage. You can get the strongest axle shafts on the planet, but you simply cannot eliminate the possibility of breaking the gear set in a rear high pinion axle on big tires in a heavy jeep. It will always be a weak point in the currie.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
The currie rock jock 60 rear is a high pinion. Pretty sure the dynatrac is a low pinion rear. A high pinion rear axle has the power applied to the coast side of the gears, which makes it more prone to breakage. You can get the strongest axle shafts on the planet, but you simply cannot eliminate the possibility of breaking the gear set in a rear high pinion axle on big tires in a heavy jeep. It will always be a weak point in the currie.

Dynatrac pro rock is a high pinion. The trail 60 is a low pinion. However you can order it anyway you want.

computeruser6

No I do not pull the unit bearing apart but you can flush it out with solvent and re grease so water doesn't stay trapped in there and rust till the bearing seized.

How did you add grease without pulling it apart and no zerk fitting.

Rear ProRock 60's are shown as high-pinion on Dynatrac's website. You can't eliminate the possibility of ring and pinion failure.

StrizzyChris

Agreed. Neither company makes the internals they both outsource so to say rock jock 60 is inferior is unfair. I never saw Randy bust the housing only the interior.

Dynatracs do seem to be the best drop in axles but they cost so more than every other option.

While both of these statements are true, I will say that I have extensively compared the two option for option and they are very close in final price when compared fairly. You will see a low cost RJ60 in a magazine or parts site and think "damn thats way cheaper than a PR60"....then you realize thats for a semi-float axle with far fewer options. If you want the cheapest semifloat PR60 that is comparable to a magazine priced RJ60, youll see that they are close in price but Currie does not come with the warrantee that Dynatrac has.

linehand08

How did you add grease without pulling it apart and no zerk fitting.

I'm pickin up on what your saying now. when im talking about re grease im sayin the hub puck and hub assembly sorry for the confusion I spray lube down the crack's and hope for the best with the unit bearing itself. bottom line is unit bearing's kinda blow.

Danger

That's great, Im glad that some people realize that blanket statements should be taken with a grain of salt. You guys that are affiliated with starting Wayalife have done something great here and a whole lot of people are looking up to you guys. Having the best product and your opinion of what the best product is,is always changing. Hence, design and development. If you constantly ridicule the products you don't like or have your self seen fail the people that look up to will likely follow suit. That's great if we want to live in a world of sheep. With a forum & family that is as innovative as yours shouldn't we present facts and encourage originality . None of us would be where we are today without people trying new things & taking risk. Sincerely Dana Jones

ttfhell

That's great, Im glad that some people realize that blanket statements should be taken with a grain of salt. You guys that are affiliated with starting Wayalife have done something great here and a whole lot of people are looking up to you guys. Having the best product and your opinion of what the best product is,is always changing. Hence, design and development. If you constantly ridicule the products you don't like or have your self seen fail the people that look up to will likely follow suit. That's great if we want to live in a world of sheep. With a forum & family that is as innovative as yours shouldn't we present facts and encourage originality . None of us would be where we are today without people trying new things & taking risk. Sincerely Dana Jones

What was ridiculed?

gradymeister

If you check out Artec Industries, they make a truss with all the brackets built in, you pretty much can't screw it up. They have a jk they call "Artecon" with a 60 up front out of a 2002 ford super duty and a 14 bolt rear from a duramax. I believe they have a kit for tone rings also. It's a lot of work to save a few grand and no warranty. You can't use the ford rear end without relocating the fuel tank.

Now if you are made of money and want what the rock bouncers use, look at Torq motorsports, they make the front 14 bolt, but it's close to 10 grand just for the front.

Eventually I'm going with dynatrac 60 front/80 rear, piece of mind is worth a lot.

10frank9

Web Wheeler

What exactly are you talking about Dana? I didn't see any ridicule. :thinking:

BigPrince

While both of these statements are true, I will say that I have extensively compared the two option for option and they are very close in final price when compared fairly. You will see a low cost RJ60 in a magazine or parts site and think "damn thats way cheaper than a PR60"....then you realize thats for a semi-float axle with far fewer options. If you want the cheapest semifloat PR60 that is comparable to a magazine priced RJ60, youll see that they are close in price but Currie does not come with the warrantee that Dynatrac has.

I would agree RJ vs Dynatrac but throw in Mopar/Spicer and it appears you might have a much better value between JY axles and Dyna/RJ.

Top Bottom