Dana 60 Front Axle Options

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's great, Im glad that some people realize that blanket statements should be taken with a grain of salt. You guys that are affiliated with starting Wayalife have done something great here and a whole lot of people are looking up to you guys. Having the best product and your opinion of what the best product is,is always changing. Hence, design and development.

Yes, it is. And, if you ever took the time to look, you would see what people like me have run and recommended in the past and how that's changed over the years. Go figure.

If you constantly ridicule the products you don't like or have your self seen fail the people that look up to will likely follow suit. That's great if we want to live in a world of sheep. With a forum & family that is as innovative as yours shouldn't we present facts and encourage originality .

So how about you post up some FACTS as to where I or anyone hasn't posted up facts? Also, just because you don't like what you hear doesn't mean that anything has been ridiculed. And really, unless you measure your manhood with the products you choose to buy, what do you really care EVEN IF something has been "ridiculed"?

None of us would be where we are today without people trying new things & taking risk. Sincerely Dana Jones

You'll forgive me but, it is of my opinion that it's the manufacturers job to do their own R&D - NOT rely on their customers to do it for them.

Sincerely,
Eddie

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. Neither company makes the internals they both outsource so to say rock jock 60 is inferior is unfair. I never saw Randy bust the housing only the interior.

This is NOT exactly true. I have personally seen Currie manufacture their axle shafts at their facility in CA. I might even have some video footage of this if I can find it. As far as their ring and pinion or bearings goes, you are correct, those are made by other manufacturers BUT, how they are setup inside IS different. Both companies have their own proprietary housing design and one will warranty an internal break and one won't. Also, you never saw anything break on Randy's Jeep - I have.

So that it isn't missed, I AM a fan of Currie products. I OWN and recommend their control arms, tie-rod, johnny joints, etc. all the time. When it comes to axles, I can only share what I have seen and based on it, I prefer Dynatrac.

The currie rock jock 60 rear is a high pinion. Pretty sure the dynatrac is a low pinion rear. A high pinion rear axle has the power applied to the coast side of the gears, which makes it more prone to breakage. You can get the strongest axle shafts on the planet, but you simply cannot eliminate the possibility of breaking the gear set in a rear high pinion axle on big tires in a heavy jeep. It will always be a weak point in the currie.

Dynatrac pro rock is a high pinion. The trail 60 is a low pinion. However you can order it anyway you want.

What Chris said, the ProRock 60 is a high pinion. The Trail 60 is a low pinion but you can order it however you want. The new ProRock 80 is a low pinion as well.

David1tontj

What about junkyard Dana 60s out of a truck? Wouldn't they be a lot cheaper? I know they wouldn't have a warranty on them but I've seen Rock Bouncers abuse some 1 ton axles more than I ever have seen a JK do. Just an option :thumb:

I've heard it's a lot harder to get junkyard axles to play nicely with the newer computers on 2012 and up.

Also- just buying the axles and brackets and getting them under your rig is one thing, but that's not all you have to do.

With my axles- I had to buy a LOT more than I thought. The axles worked, but they almost immediately needed the following parts.
-brackets
-gears
-install kit and bearings
-lockers
-diff covers
-chromoly shafts
-spicer lifetime u joints
-warn premium hubs
-wheel bearings
-synergy ball joints
-complete new steering- tie rod, heim joints, etc.
-front rotors, calipers, pads
-Disc brake conversion rear

There's probably more.

And you have to figure out a new parking brake.

You should price out those parts and see how cheap you think the axles really are- gears alone were twice as much for those big axles as they were for my stock jeep. And I did all of the fabrication and gear work myself- imagine if you have to pay to do it. All that- and it's still just a junkyard axle.

I like my axles, but if I had realized how much I was going to spend, and how much work was going to be involved, I would have seriously considered some drop in axles.

One question on rock jock axles, how does one drain the diff fluid?

I had to hire a hooker. Was like sucking a golf ball thru a garden hose.
Seriously, I bought a 12v pump, ended up using a turkey baster to finish off the second diff because the pump had a meltdown and caught fire, lmao. That gear oil doesn't pump out very easy in the winter.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I had to hire a hooker. Was like sucking a golf ball thru a garden hose.
Seriously, I bought a 12v pump, ended up using a turkey baster to finish off the second diff because the pump had a meltdown and caught fire, lmao. That gear oil doesn't pump out very easy in the winter.

I always wondered why they don't put a drain plug. I've seen guys with their ram or control arms welded to the diff covers. That's probably a hassle to remove all that stuff.

jkwebbie

I've heard it's a lot harder to get junkyard axles to play nicely with the newer computers on 2012 and up.

Also- just buying the axles and brackets and getting them under your rig is one thing, but that's not all you have to do.

With my axles- I had to buy a LOT more than I thought. The axles worked, but they almost immediately needed the following parts.
-brackets
-gears
-install kit and bearings
-lockers
-diff covers
-chromoly shafts
-spicer lifetime u joints
-warn premium hubs
-wheel bearings
-synergy ball joints
-complete new steering- tie rod, heim joints, etc.
-front rotors, calipers, pads
-Disc brake conversion rear

There's probably more.

And you have to figure out a new parking brake.

You should price out those parts and see how cheap you think the axles really are- gears alone were twice as much for those big axles as they were for my stock jeep. And I did all of the fabrication and gear work myself- imagine if you have to pay to do it. All that- and it's still just a junkyard axle.

I like my axles, but if I had realized how much I was going to spend, and how much work was going to be involved, I would have seriously considered some drop in axles.

Yea that does sound like a lot of time and hassle, I just don't know many people who have gone this route and always wondered why

Top Bottom