DARE MIGHTY THINGS - Curiosity's Seven Minutes of Terror!!

MTG

Caught the Bug
Totally awesome!

Love it!

Edit: I find it annoying and ironic that we can put a rover on mars that only takes 14 minutes to communicate with, yet my cell service sucks so bad I can't watch it in real time.

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Sweet landing. With all of the things that could've gone wrong they are collecting some serious data.

BONDSY

Totally awesome!

Love it!

Edit: I find it annoying and ironic that we can put a rover on mars that only takes 14 minutes to communicate with, yet my cell service sucks so bad I can't watch it in real time.

I know what you mean. The live stream was kinda crappy on my end. But what an achievement for these guy's to get this done.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
yup, the feed was total bs. we don't have regular tv at all and for a while, i was thinking i might not be able to see it at all. fortunately, it worked just long enough to catch the first pics and all the cheering but, it's pretty much off again for me.

mmccurdy

Holy shit on a cactus, that's a ton of steps to land a rover. Where's our bearded hippy when we need him?

I hope he's not at the Riva Grill in South Lake.

Just caught this thread on here... I was actually fortunate enough to be at mission control at JPL for the landing, biting my nails with the rest of the team. Man, if you thought it was tense watching the landing on UStream, it was about a thousand times more crazy watching from there. The whole team probably could have used a round of woody's if that kind of thing weren't frowned upon when operating a $2.5B rover on Mars ;)

Amazing experience... so glad everything went as planned. Can't believe this is actually the third time I've gotten to do this in my relatively short career at NASA. At this point I can say for sure it never gets old.

Anyway, hope everyone stays tuned. This mission should send home some amazing stuff. Go Curiosity! :beer:

StrizzyChris

This is crazy exciting, but there is a little part of me that is worried that there are micro-organisms that this could bring back with it that could be hazardous to not only us but our environment. Not by means of radiation but of bacteria or other elements that could spread rapidly and damage our ecosystem. I know this is very VERY unlikely, and “end of days” sounding, but I am hoping it’s a concern of theirs as well.

I KNOW, I KNOW....I'M CRAZY lol

mmccurdy

This is crazy exciting, but there is a little part of me that is worried that there are micro-organisms that this could bring back with it that could be hazardous to not only us but our environment. Not by means of radiation but of bacteria or other elements that could spread rapidly and damage our ecosystem. I know this is very VERY unlikely, and “end of days” sounding, but I am hoping it’s a concern of theirs as well.

I KNOW, I KNOW....I'M CRAZY lol

You don't have to worry about Curiosity bringing anything back. It's physically impossible, since the mission was never designed to return to earth. The rover is staying on the surface of Mars for good, and the only thing getting sent back is the data. Maybe some day when we colonize Mars and open a museum we'll put her on display, but by that time we'll know a lot more about any bugs that do exist up there :thumb:

As a side note, when things are sent to other planets (and vice versa, though that's not a factor for Curiosity) folks on earth take interplanetary contamination very seriously. There are multiple reviews and every precaution is made to avoid this. It surprised me at first how cautious we are about these concerns, but it makes sense given the very concerns you point out.

StrizzyChris

It surprised me at first how cautious we are about these concerns, but it makes sense given the very concerns you point out.

haha well its good to know that they thought of and addressed this. I was even starting to think that I was nuts lol

MTG

Caught the Bug
Don't listen to him Chris, that's what THEY want you to believe. This whole thing is a cover story for the REAL mission that is taking place as we speak. Be afraid, be very afraid! Can't write more THEY are triangulating on my position as I type...

JandSJK

Don't listen to him Chris, that's what THEY want you to believe. This whole thing is a cover story for the REAL mission that is taking place as we speak. Be afraid, be very afraid! Can't write more THEY are triangulating on my position as I type...

Lets just hope Optimus gets all the pillars:cheesy:

Top Bottom