Dealer can't resolve issues

cmireles

So I have the death wobble, and after going through everything on the checklist, I couldn't solve the problem. So I took the jk to the dealer to let them diagnose it. Of course, the first thing they said was "it's the steering stabilizer." I laughed at them in my head, but I replaced it anyway just to show them they were wrong. They gave me a free courtesy diagnosis and then insisted i didn't replace the stabilizer. After proving them wrong, they looked again and told me my drivers side ball joints were worn out. Turns out they were, so I replaced them. Problem still isn't fixed. Everything else has been looked at and accounted for: track bar, brackets, tie rod, drag link, passenger ball joints, tires balanced, Etc. So now I have 2 questions. 1, what the hell is wrong with my stock 2010 jk 2 door? And 2, am I eligible for that lemon law thing if they can't get the problem resolved after three attempts? Things to note: I'm taking it in for a third diagnosis next week; dealer diagnosed problems but I made the repairs using OEM parts. I love in michigan, My wrangler is a 2010 model and I am the second owner. Any help would be great.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Why didn't you replace your passenger side ball joints? They are probably shot.

And no lemon law applies to new vehicles.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
We originally thought both sides were fine. But when I took it in they only said one side was shot.

I would still replace the passenger side as well. I didn't have death wobble but I found out that my drive side was completely going and the passenger side only my upper ball joint was going. I got them replaced a week after before they fully went and had so much play that I would have gotten DW

Sent from my iPhone

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Agreed. Death wobble will loosen and wear out suspension components even if they "were" good. If your driver side ball joints were bad, I find it difficult to believe that your passenger side ones aren't bad as well. They should have been replaced as well and everything else given a re-torque.

cmireles

Okay, passenger side ball joints next then. I'll check in to tell everyone if the problem was resolved.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, passenger side ball joints next then. I'll check in to tell everyone if the problem was resolved.

Make sure to retorque your suspension components afterwards as well. Track bar is a main one - check it's joints as well.

TheDuff

Make sure to retorque your suspension components afterwards as well. Track bar is a main one - check it's joints as well.

This! If either bolt came loose, the holes in the mount can wallow out, or even the sleeve in the bushing. Not the end of the world, but the stealership won't be able to fix the mount bracket if that's the case. you'll need to look into something like the synergy brace (sure there are other brands) If it's frame side. If axle side mount is wallowed, I've seen a couple of steering stabilizer flip kits that use the track bar bolt, thus giving a nice new hole as well. Good luck

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

HDGasser

Negative batman, you can lemon law a used vehicle it can only be so many years old tho. Not sure on dates or whatever.

Brother in law got his POS 07 Superduty lemon law'd that he bought it used. Hell he didn't even buy it in the state.

Lucky SOB got sticker price for the POS towards a brand spanky 2010 Superduty. I know it took a lot to do on his end but he did get a new truck.

I don't think a case of the DW would be enough to get you LL'd tho.

Last edited:

cmireles

After replacing passenger side ball joints, the wobble became much less sensitive to the environment, but nonetheless is still there. After further inspection, I noticed the frame side track bar joint had a noticeable amount of play in it. The mount itself is not wallowed out and the bolts are torqued accordingly. Does this mean a worn out bushing? Should I replace the track bar?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
After replacing passenger side ball joints, the wobble became much less sensitive to the environment, but nonetheless is still there. After further inspection, I noticed the frame side track bar joint had a noticeable amount of play in it. The mount itself is not wallowed out and the bolts are torqued accordingly. Does this mean a worn out bushing? Should I replace the track bar?

Depends what track bar you have. They changed the track bar in the 12's and up. If you have the original there shouldn't be any movement in the bushing.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have an OEM on my 2010. So that means it's bad? Does the whole unit need to be replaced?

It should be bonded rubber I believe so if it wobbles it's probably bad. You could switch with a friends and see if that fixes it before buying a new one.

cmireles

It should be bonded rubber I believe so if it wobbles it's probably bad. You could switch with a friends and see if that fixes it before buying a new one.

I don't have a single friend with a jk :/agreed, it would be really nice to know before I went out and bought a new track bar

JKbrick

I don't have a single friend with a jk :/agreed, it would be really nice to know before I went out and bought a new track bar

You may find a good one someone doesn't need after putting an adj one on. If the mounting hole on the axle ever wallows out the JKS track bar brace will fix it, it's a weld on piece but sturdies up the mount and has a new mounting hole over the top of the old one.

jkmohican

Look at crown automotive. They are a sponsor here and have great prices.

The only experince I have with them is a tie rod I bought for the JK, rusted after 1 month and the bushings are tearing after 5 months. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
The only experince I have with them is a tie rod I bought for the JK, rusted after 1 month and the bushings are tearing after 5 months. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app
Odd I've been running their trackbar for a year. Wheeled some mild trails on jkx. Everything is working just fine. If you are referring to the boot on the tie rod, that's a dust cover. Not a bushing

You're in the northeast everything rusts, get over it

Last edited:
Top Bottom