Death Wobble HELP!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Take the track bar off and stick a 9/16 bolt in te mount holes on both ends and see if it fits snug. The reasob for this is because that hole is a 9/16 hole.

Do this without the track bar in place. You should have no more than 1/16 of play in the mount holes if there is anymore than thr holes are egged out. That was my problem.

The fix for this is to weld a grade 8 9/16 washer onto the mount.

Hope this helps i had death wobble for almost 2 months before i was able to get it all taken care of now i just need to get my new track bar on.

I think it would be helpful to note how your track bar hole got wollowed out. If I recall, it was because you never actually tightend the bolt down to the proper torque setting. That alone would have made a BIG difference if not fixed things without having to buy anything.

SpazmanDJS

One last tip I also did was I grabbed a set of different wheels and tires off my buddy's jeep an checked to see if DW was still there. I proved it wasn't my tires and was more since it did it with his tires and wheels . So try that and see if its your tires. It seems you have tried a lot of things.

I've been told it could be my tires as well. Got 83000km on Wrangler SR-A's, sidewalls look like they are dying but I rotated front to back after DW and it didn't change anything. I do need new tires but I'm hesitant to spend another $2500 (tires + rims) and risk any dmg to them as well. I want to upgrade to curry TR and DL but I just don't have the $$, this jeep has been a money pit. Don't get me wrong, I love her and every upgrade makes me smile. So does 2 weeks all inclusive in a resort I coulda had 2x over :) Not giving up tho. I'll be buried in my jeep. This may occur prematurely if the lady sees me spend another $2500 on tires and $2000 on curry parts lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What he's saying to do is borrow a set of tires from a friend and it is good advice. I had issues with DW back when I was running MT/R's - rotating them did nothing for me. Fortunately, I had a set of Toyo's I could test things out with and as soon as I swapped them out, my problems went away. There were other components that got worn out from the episodes of DW but, they were easier to track down after changing tires.

bl17z90

I think it would be helpful to note how your track bar hole got wollowed out. If I recall, it was because you never actually tightend the bolt down to the proper torque setting. That alone would have made a BIG difference if not fixed things without having to buy anything.

Yeah I have AEV to thank for that one. Their lift directions have all of the torque specs and if I recall it was 105 ft.lb. But then again that could be my terrible hearing. I had someone reading them off to me. :doh:

Top Bottom