Death Wobble, this is different than the typical stories

bl17z90

And I just read about the evo drag link flip kit. Would that be a good one to use instead of the JKS one? I don't own a welder I am looking for something thats bolt on.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can't beleive i missed this before because it i pretty loose on the axle mount but the problem is my nerdy ass can't get it tight enough (past 130 ft lb) to keep it still, any suggestions?

LOL!! You need a bigger torque wrench, one that is longer and has a higher range - maybe 150-200 ft lb capacity. This will give you more leverage and make it easier for you to get to where you need to be. Harbor Freight sells some torque wrenches that'll work and for pretty cheap. Another option is to slip a pipe over the handle of your wrench as that will help give you what you need too.

Do you think a new bracket is going to do better than fixing up the stock mount?

And I just read about the evo drag link flip kit. Would that be a good one to use instead of the JKS one? I don't own a welder I am looking for something thats bolt on.

Being that you're only running 2.5" of lift, a track bar relocation bracket really won't be needed but, if your lift has actually yielded you closer to 3" or more, I would go that route. A new mount will not only correct your steering geometry at that height, it will be beefier and will address your issue at hand. Either way, you will want to make sure to get your bolt tightened to the proper torque setting to help prevent any wollowing from happening again.

bl17z90

Yeah everyone who sees this kit thinks it 3.5. I sat next to a friend who had 2 inch spaces and 34's and I sat higher (still on stock 32's)

Do you think the evo kit would do everything I need?

And something that confuses me, correct me if I'm wrong. Evo MFG is the company who makes the mods and Offroad Evolution is the shop?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah everyone who sees this kit thinks it 3.5. I sat next to a friend who had 2 inch spaces and 34's and I sat higher (still on stock 32's)

Well, I would try to confirm that you are actually sitting as high as you think rather than just go off of what you think you're seeing. There is a good diagram here that will help you to know what factory height was:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-the-JK-Wrangler&p=21017&viewfull=1#post21017

Use it to compare what you have now to know for sure.

Do you think the evo kit would do everything I need?

The draglink flip/track bar relocation kit will have everything you need to address your steering geometry. Once installed, it will provide a beefier mount for your track bar as well but, you will still need to get your bolts on tightened to torque spec. It really would serve you well to invest in a good 1/2" drive torque wrench that can at least go to 150 ft lbs. Trust me, you will use it for the rest of your life.

And something that confuses me, correct me if I'm wrong. Evo MFG is the company who makes the mods and Offroad Evolution is the shop?

You understand things correctly. They are the same company, just two different divisions.

bl17z90

Ok thanks Eddie!

I do want a torque wrench. I used to work in a shop when I was younger and bought a bunch of snap on stuff but based on the work I did I never needed one. Settling on my house at the end of the month so I'm going to have to wait till thats all over with before I can buy more tools or the lady will kill me. I have a 2 foot, half inch drive ratchet that does the job and I can probably use the torque wrench to check it.

bl17z90

By the way, how high can you go before you really need a drop pitman arm?

And I against all recommendations I have cam bolts on my jeep (when the shop described them to me they didn't sound like cam bolts so I was alright with it) But they are on the right side only is that how they are supposed to be installed?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2 foot, half inch drive ratchet that does the job and I can probably use the torque wrench to check it.

Well, I doubt you'll be able to over torque that bolt but, you really should be using a good torque wrench just in case. I'm pretty sure you can get a basic 150 ft lb torque wrench for about $20 at Harbor Freight. Not the best tool in the world but, it'll be better than just using a 2' ratchet. Just putting it out there.

By the way, how high can you go before you really need a drop pitman arm?

Typically, you'd want to address your steering geometry at about 3"-4" of lift. Using a dropped pitman arm is just one way to do that. Installing a drag link flip is the other way and, what I would recommend. You just need to remember that IF you address your draglink with a dropped pitman arm or flip kit, you NEED to address your track bar at the same time. It is critical that the two stay parallel to each other.

And I against all recommendations I have cam bolts on my jeep (when the shop described them to me they didn't sound like cam bolts so I was alright with it) But they are on the right side only is that how they are supposed to be installed?

One side only? Ummm, no, that would not be how they are supposed to be installed and is effectively doing nothing other than loading up your control arm bushings.

bl17z90

Ok, awesome, and the evo kit has a new mount for the track bar to do just that, correct?

Yeah apparently they are both on the right side......I have no idea, I just got it back last night and it was raining so I didn't want to spend too much time on the ground, today its a bit nicer so I'll give it a look over and measure the lift while I'm at it. Btw they are progressive rate springs (thats the right term I think) could that have anything to do with it sitting higher than i wanted?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, awesome, and the evo kit has a new mount for the track bar to do just that, correct?

Yes, their steering correction kit comes with a track bar relocation bracket and everything needed to do a drag link flip.

Yeah apparently they are both on the right side......I have no idea, I just got it back last night and it was raining so I didn't want to spend too much time on the ground, today its a bit nicer so I'll give it a look over and measure the lift while I'm at it.

"Both"? You can only install a cam bolt on the lower control arm axle mount.

Btw they are progressive rate springs (thats the right term I think) could that have anything to do with it sitting higher than i wanted?

That wouldn't make a difference but, some springs do tend to sit taller than others and it is possible that yours are. I'm just saying to make sure. If you're not as tall as you think you are, you could over correct and cause your axle to shift over the other direction. Not a big deal and nothing that would cause any harm, just something to be aware of.

bl17z90

Wow, how am I just seeing this for the first time:doh: Haven't even read through the whole thing yet, but there are some good nuggets of info. Thanks for re-posting this link.

Yeah I love this forum the community is great and I have learned a ton from just reading different posts and asking my own questions

Top Bottom