Death wobble

jagrubb99

Wait a minute....

You had deathwobble after installing a lift.... on a vehicle with 8,000 miles.... yet you think it's a good idea to KEEP taking your Jeep back to the same place for them to do a "quick and free" inspection? Then you mask the problem (probably under the recommendation of them) to install a dual steering stabilizer?

Seems logical.............. :crazyeyes:
Good to see I'm not the only one thinking this. Not a single piece of his post had accurate information..

RageKage

I had DW, after swapping out some of my front end components (draglink, track bar, tie rod) I came to find out the track bar mount hole at the frame had started to oval out. Synergy makes a track bar brace that mounts to the frame, completely fixed the DW issue. But like there have said start with torquing everything down and inspecting then go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kenthejeepguy

Wait a minute....

You had deathwobble after installing a lift.... on a vehicle with 8,000 miles.... yet you think it's a good idea to KEEP taking your Jeep back to the same place for them to do a "quick and free" inspection? Then you mask the problem (probably under the recommendation of them) to install a dual steering stabilizer?

Seems logical.............. :crazyeyes:

Well, I'm kinda done talking about this, but I'll answer your implied questions this once. I didn't realize I was stepping on a hornets nest when I gave a simple answer to this person's question with what worked for me.

I bought the Jeep brand-new in 2011. It did not wobble at the start. I went on some jeep trails that summer, and that fall it started wobbling some, but not too bad. The next spring after going on more jeep trails the wobble got worse. I had the tires rotated and got it realigned and the wobble got better. Slowly that summer the wobble became worse and worse. I went to my local Jeep dealer and got an original OEM replacement steering stabilizer. It did not help a bit. The next spring I got my 4 inch lift put on at Dave Wong's off-road outlet, in Sonora, California. They had it aligned at the best shop in town afterward.

Part of the lift kit was a new tracking bar. After 500 to 1000 miles they had me come back in to re-torque all the hardware. Periodically the death wobblewould get worse and worse until it was intolerable. Most of the time an alignment would fix it back so it would quit. I started doing business at a different jeep shop here in Sonora, Moose's Mountain Jeep. I work next to Big O Tires here in Sonora and have them re-align it about every six months. When I need work done on the jeep, such as adding lights, etc., I have the vehicle front and inspected by Moose. I bought new tires during this time. All of this effort never solved the death wobble permanently until I bought the double shock system. Some shops I talked to recommended the double shock, other shops said just what you guys have said here that it is masking over the problem. It really got so I did not care, I just wanted to wobble to stop! I bought the stabilizer online from a catalog such as Quadratech and we installed it ourselves, so no jeep shop "Took money out of my wallet".

If you guys have been able to solve your wobble issues through the methods you prescribe, then good for you! For me, I just want to drive safely and not have my jeep wobble. During the irrigation season I use my jeep nearly daily on rough roads to Climb steep trails that are rocky to get to my irrigation pumps for my pasture. So maybe I use my Jeep more on rough stuff then a lot of other people and that's why I've had more wobble problems then some others who only use it a couple times a month. BTW it currently has 30,000 miles so is not worn out. Have fun Jeepin' people with whatever works for you!

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Well, I'm kinda done talking about this, but I'll answer your implied questions this once. I didn't realize I was stepping on a hornets nest when I gave a simple answer to this person's question with what worked for me.

I bought the Jeep brand-new in 2011. It did not wobble at the start. I went on some jeep trails that summer, and that fall it started wobbling some, but not too bad. The next spring after going on more jeep trails the wobble got worse. I had the tires rotated and got it realigned and the wobble got better. Slowly that summer the wobble became worse and worse. I went to my local Jeep dealer and got an original OEM replacement steering stabilizer. It did not help a bit. The next spring I got my 4 inch lift put on at Dave Wong's off-road outlet, in Sonora, California. They had it aligned at the best shop in town afterward.

Part of the lift kit was a new tracking bar. After 500 to 1000 miles they had me come back in to re-torque all the hardware. Periodically the death wobblewould get worse and worse until it was intolerable. Most of the time an alignment would fix it back so it would quit. I started doing business at a different jeep shop here in Sonora, Moose's Mountain Jeep. I work next to Big O Tires here in Sonora and have them re-align it about every six months. When I need work done on the jeep, such as adding lights, etc., I have the vehicle front and inspected by Moose. I bought new tires during this time. All of this effort never solved the death wobble permanently until I bought the double shock system. Some shops I talked to recommended the double shock, other shops said just what you guys have said here that it is masking over the problem. It really got so I did not care, I just wanted to wobble to stop! I bought the stabilizer online from a catalog such as Quadratech and we installed it ourselves, so no jeep shop "Took money out of my wallet".

If you guys have been able to solve your wobble issues through the methods you prescribe, then good for you! For me, I just want to drive safely and not have my jeep wobble. During the irrigation season I use my jeep nearly daily on rough roads to Climb steep trails that are rocky to get to my irrigation pumps for my pasture. So maybe I use my Jeep more on rough stuff then a lot of other people and that's why I've had more wobble problems then some others who only use it a couple times a month. BTW it currently has 30,000 miles so is not worn out. Have fun Jeepin' people with whatever works for you!

I think you're missing the point here. You said before you put the lift on, you replaced the SS with an OEM equivalent... and it didn't change anything. Well, I'm not surprised it didn't change anything! Because that wasn't your problem. You have an underlying problem somewhere in VITAL suspension components. If you really just want to "drive safely and not have my jeep wobble", then you should really check your track bar, control arms, etc., for defects. Eventually your "wobble" will come back... I guarantee it.

black pearl

Hooked

I'm glad you found something that worked for you but in my experience with Death wobble on my 16 my lower ball joints blew out in under 15000 miles when used as "extreme duty" parts will wear faster then you think ... not trying to debate just talking from experience

RageKage

Yup definitely missing what everyone said. Stabilizers mask the problem. Even a dual one.... ask me how I know? I had duals. Still got death wobble. Changed some components and found out my track bar mounting hole had started to oval..... and this was at less than 25,000 miles on my '14 with very minimal wheeling. I bought it completely stock and am the only owner. So yes things can wear out before 30,000 miles even if you don't wheel hard. It's called science. Bigger tires = more weight. More weight = more stress on parts. More stress on parts = wear out faster. Maybe you should heed everyone's advice before you start firing off at them. A lot of these guys have vast experiences when it comes to parts breaking or wearing them out. They might know a thing or two. Just my .02 cents

WJCO

Meme King

I can tell that it has frustrated you and yes, DW is very frustrating and I share your pain as I have been there myself. With that being said, if someone randomly came to this thread looking for advice on how to fix DW, the last thing I would want them to see is that a dual stabilizer is the solution, it just isn't true. Regardless, I'm glad you can drive your Jeep in peace.

3dpilot

Alignment on your stock jeep does not fix death wobble, that's why it kept coming back (oviously). Besides, all they can really do is set your toe and center your steering wheel (unless u have full adjustable arms etc.)

Just like what everyone has said, there's something loose or damaged (wear and tear) on your susp/steering components. Just don't be surprised when dw comes back... hopefully u don't loose control and crash.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert, just another hobbyist 😉

Sent from my SM-G920P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
A properly setup front end doesn't really even need a steering stabilizer at all, even with large tires. Sorry dude, we all get that DW sucks big time and narrowing down the cause can be frustrating as hell. But you are just fooling yourself if you think the double stabilizers has "fixed" the problem. You may not be able to feel what is happening to your front end because of the stabilizers...but it is still happening. Whatever part is causing the problem...is still causing a problem. You just don't currently notice it because of the stabilizers. But, you will eventually.

Eezybreezy08

The dual steering stabilizer worked for me until I took it back off. So I can understand why you might think that it fixed it. And I was running mine for 3 years until I changed my axle just recently. So I understand you just trying to help but like they said it just mask the problem. And it covers it up good. Don't know for how long but it does help

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

30k miles on a 6 year old jeep is hardly using it.

Not only is what you said completely and utter wrong and idiotic, you said you have a "shop install lights and such" and you have a shop "align your jeep every 6 months" meaning you probably have no clue what anything on your jeep does. Just because you don't know what needs to be fixed or haven't gone to a quality shop to get your issues fixed, doesn't mean a dual stabilizer "works".

Kalums

14e58ed1836fe59bc610b340712fdf4b_michael-jackson-popcorn-meme-memes-eating-popcorn_236-176.jpeg

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

LearJeff

30k miles on a 6 year old jeep is hardly using it.

Not only is what you said completely and utter wrong and idiotic, you said you have a "shop install lights and such" and you have a shop "align your jeep every 6 months" meaning you probably have no clue what anything on your jeep does. Just because you don't know what needs to be fixed or haven't gone to a quality shop to get your issues fixed, doesn't mean a dual stabilizer "works".

A bit harsh, maybe? :thinking: :crazyeyes: :rollyeyes:
:grayno: <--whatever the hell that freaking means...

Top Bottom