Denver, CO Mile High Meetup Thread

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I can't make this one. Have plans already. Have fun out there.

I was not aware of that. Funny thing is, my post earlier was information given to me by a forest ranger, lol.

Well in fairness, he’s thinking of trails in terms of forest roads..and to that end he’s right. Forest roads are roads. But as was linked, there are actual state trails that require the permit. I support Mile High JC because they support a lot of these things, and you get a permit with your membership so it’s super easy. I’ve also just bought the permit in years past.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Well, I think the Jeep is fixed. Stupidest simple thing too. My custom intake rubber boot was collapsing under load starving the engine of air. It must have gotten hot enough under the hood that day to soften that boot and it eventually fully collapsed.

How I found it: The tranny shop had it for 3 days and couldn't find anything wrong nor could they verify the symptom. The night I picked it up, it was fine. The next day, I noticed it acting up but wasn't as bad as before. The day i did the gears on the JK, my wife had the WJ. She noticed under easy or moderate acceleration, it was fine, but under heavy acceleration, it wouldn't pull. So a few days later, we took it back to the shop. They checked fuel pressure under load, checked for intake leaks, all was good. They did verify the symptom but said it wasn't transmission related and basically said it was out of their realm. I was happy with the time they spent on it though.
So I picked it up this afternoon with a hunch that it was my catalytic converter. It felt like that Everytime it did it. But the cat is only a year old. Did a little reading online and found a few cases of people damaging a cat after a deep water crossing, basically it cools too quickly and cracks then plugs. I have a good OEM cat at home so it wouldn't cost me anything to swap. The Jeep acted up several times on the way home. However, when I got the Jeep home, I decided to hit the throttle hard while in park and look at some things. I noticed immediately the intake boot was collapsing a little. The more I opened the throttle quickly, the more the intake collapsed. So I took the whole thing off and put a cone filter right on the throttle body. We took both jeeps up the mountain about 15 miles and I drove it hard. Never acted up once. Oh, and my power is stronger and gas mileage indicator increased by 3 on the display. Sounds like I've had this going on for awhile, just finally the tube softened enough to leave me stranded.
An expensive lesson. Thank you all who hung out and tried to help last weekend and for Ben driving my wife and kids home while I waited for the tow truck. We could have fixed this thing up there in about 30 seconds.
My next plan is to find an OEM intake system and install it. However I will have to build a custom washer bottle and relocate it.

Wow, crazy issue for sure! At least you found it although sooner would’ve been nice.

d-nought

Heard you bought a new house with large garage. Good for Jeeps!!! I first ran this trail last year, and loved it. Lots of tight squeezes through the trees. Count me in.

We did, moved in in the beginning of April. Once I can get all the boxes emptied and the garage cleaned back up ill be looking for a lift, Im done rolling around on the floor installing mods :-D

Slimebones

We did, moved in in the beginning of April. Once I can get all the boxes emptied and the garage cleaned back up ill be looking for a lift, Im done rolling around on the floor installing mods :-D

Hate moving. I'd give my left nut for a lift!!!

Slimebones

I have a feeling this could be an epic run, due to the fact there will be "some" snow. Glad you guys are adventuresome. Haven't used the winch in awhile. It is ready.

denver98

I hope you guys don’t mind having a new(ish) guy along. Fairly stock JK. Previous owner put rubicon springs on it, so it has a slight lift. Just have some fun on the trails.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Slimebones

Was a good day for early May in Colorado. Was raining in Denver but cleared for us up high. Snow drift ended up being our nemisis. Couldn't keep from sliding off the trail. Ice hiding under snow. We all got a lesson on winch, tow straps, snatchblock, highlift for winch, etc. Great get together though and we conquered it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180512_120322.jpg
    IMG_20180512_120322.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG-20180512-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20180512-WA0001.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 98

WJCO

Meme King
Was a good day for early May in Colorado. Was raining in Denver but cleared for us up high. Snow drift ended up being our nemisis. Couldn't keep from sliding off the trail. Ice hiding under snow. We all got a lesson on winch, tow straps, snatchblock, highlift for winch, etc. Great get together though and we conquered it.

That slippery snow sucks indeed. Glad to hear that you all got through it and back safe.

denver98

I want to say thank you for a great day. My stock JK and my newbie skills survived the day and I had a blast on the trail. Learned a lot about, not only my Jeep, but the gear that is required to make the day safe and enjoyable! Thanks again, hope to do it again soon.

Slimebones

I want to say thank you for a great day. My stock JK and my newbie skills survived the day and I had a blast on the trail. Learned a lot about, not only my Jeep, but the gear that is required to make the day safe and enjoyable! Thanks again, hope to do it again soon.

Glad you made it. Trying to imagine sitting in the driver seat of your rig on this run. Truly impressive. Seeing how you navigated this is some areas, you can be confident you can do MOST trails in Colorado. Of course, you had some pretty good spotters there too.

Last edited:

denver98

Glad you made it. Trying to imagine sitting in the driver seat of your rig on this run. Truly impressive. Seeing how you navigated this is some areas, you can be confident you can do MOST trails in Colorado. Of course, you had some pretty good spotters there too.

I absolutely did!! Best around, no doubt! :)

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Great run even though it was cut short. I think many lessons were learned. I want to impart some notes to recap for the benefit of us all. It's important to have the right gear for recoveries (myself included). I just went and bought several things that I didn't even bring so I think this was a great opportunity to not only check your gear but get the right tools for the job.

Soft shackles would have been handy. Multiple shackle sizes are also handy (bigger for use with straps, smaller for use with hooks)
Having the right attachments for your hi-lift so you can use it as a makeshift winch. (Tensioner kit, wheel lift)
Having the right length of winch line helps your pulling power, and having the ability to shorten it helps.
Comealongs aren't generally that great, but pull pals are.
Straps are for pulling, winch lines are better for winching. having winch line extensions is important.

SPOOOBY

I’m going to be in Silverton and Ouray are June 24/ July 1 was hoping some might want to meet up and hit some trails, if anyone is interested let me know

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
If anyone is curious from last weekend, I still haven't figured out what happened to my winch but I did finally perform a motor test and its not dead so likely the solenoid. Not sure why that would have gone out under the circumstances. I ordered a new battery and a new solenoid tonight, but was able to manually power the motor to spool everything back in.

Top Bottom