Disenchanted with 4WP

Killjoy

I must admit, that 4WP has redeemed themselves, at least in my eye.
I bought a bumper that I thought I wanted. It came in, and I picked it up and brought it home.
When I opened the box, there was a small discrepancy that my eye was drawn to right away. After vacillating back and forth, I decided to return the bumper. 4WP gave me absolutely no grief about it at all. They gave me a full refund, and asked what I wanted to do.
I told them I was probably going to just stick with my 10th Anniversary Bumper, and get the Winch Plate for it. He gave me his card, and told me that if there's anything I need, to feel free to call him directly.

jsciaretta

I think it's like any place these days, you get good and bad counter people. I've not been to any stores other than the Columbiana Ohio one since it's nearest to me and those guys are great. I remember a few guys here n there that didn't seem to know much and made me feel like the smart one (which I know I'm not). The guys that have been there for a few years now are good and honest. I got 3 bad rear axle seals and retainers that were bad back to back and they took care of it no issues and replace everything it messed up by the axle moving without any hesitation. Glad they stepped up and improved your opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
Personal experiences with 4WP is less than worthless, everything ever ordered from them had to be returned for not being the correct part or not what was ordered, but to each their own.

Courtesy is given. Respect is Earned.

Remlap

It looks like they attach with two U-bolts each, and right to the frame rails.

This is correct, I have them along with their winch plate - Warn zeon with your same bumper.

Solid so far and tow loops tuck in there about as much as possible it seems like, compared to my Pop's blue ox tow bar setup anyway.

I use a Roadmaster all terrain 6k bar with tow loop adapters and washers to get rid of some of the play at the loops.

Attachments

• IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1653.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 270

JoeB-JKURX

I went in looking at Winches. The counter guy immediately suggested Warn's most expensive winch. Then he told me that it won't fit on my 10th Anniversary Bumper (which is designed to fit a winch by the way) and went on to suggest Warn's most expensive bumper. He wasn't even very willing to discuss other options with me, and then he disappeared.
The store in Oakland doesn't have much in the way of displays to be seen.
Oh, he did give me one of their catalogs. But their web site has a ton more selection. But nobody to answer questions.

So I'm looking for a winch. In order to use my 10th Anniversary bumper, I will need a winch plate, and a fairlead hawse (I'm looking to go synthetic). Since I'm also looking to eventually flat tow, and I can't do that with the existing bumper, I guess I'm looking for a bumper too. Why put money into a bumper that will not suit all my purposes? And why do it twice? Here's the rub. The Warn bumper the salesman suggested, is not rated for flat towing (according to the Warn web site).
Since I'm going that route, I want to replace the rear bumper as well. One with a swing out tire carrier so I can add a rack and Jerry cans. The Warn tire carrier attaches to your tailgate. Again, the guy at 4WP was no help in this category either.

The Warn Elite front bumper. As you can see on the Warn page, it's not rated for flat towing.
https://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/warn_elite_series_front_bumper.jsp
Decisions, decisions.

I've a '14 JKURX (10A bumpers). I used the Maximus Winch Plate, Metalcloak vacuum relo plate, and have an Roadmaster Invisibrake for flat towing. I purchased and installed a Roadmaster tow bracket to attach to my Jeep to hook to the Motorhome tow bar but it kept hitting every rock on the trail (it was under the bumper in front of the skid plate). I had removed the ends of the bumpers but still had the plastic tit covers that have the fog lights. I pulled the tit covers off and saw the crush cans screwed to the front of the frame ends. I thought, what the hell do I need these crush cans for? I pulled them off and cut the cans off the plate with a saw/grinder and had a welder friend of mine weld up some receivers for the tow bracket inserts that came with the Roadmaster tow bracket. These receivers stay attached to the Jeep on the frame ends and under the tit covers. I remove the inserts (they install like any tow ball insert with a big pin to hold them in place) when I'm not towing and replace the plastic tit covers. Looks bone stock and moves the tow point up about 5 inches. I do need a male to female 3" tow insert (upside down) for my Roadmaster Falcon tow bar where it goes into the receiver on the back of the MH so that it is level when I flat tow. With the standard diodes, tow bar in the front bumper, and the Invisibrake activated by the brake of the MH, set up for flat two is quick and easy. I expect this is all as clear as mud but anyone with a 10A bumper that wants to flat tow will know what I mean.

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

I think all the 4WP employees are told to "sell bumpers".

I purchased a 4" Mopar lift" and had them install it. One of the employees, actually a friend that I knew before he worked there was trying to sell me a bumper.

I asked him, " can't you see this is a 10th anniversary bumper on a 75th Anniversary Rubicon Hard Rock edition? " and "why do I need a new bumper?"

I'm happy with the 10a bumpers.

Just installed a tire carrier utilizing the hole in the rear bumper and attaching it to the frame.

I don't flat tow, I have a car hauler.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

kirame2

Been using Smitty for a while both on Rubicon 10k and on Renegade 9.5k. Never an issue. Warn is overrated and that equals higher $. Unless you buy a Harbor Freight winch.

Sent from my N9519 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bouche03

Been using Smitty for a while both on Rubicon 10k and on Renegade 9.5k. Never an issue. Warn is overrated and that equals higher $. Unless you buy a Harbor Freight winch.

I think that's a pretty bold statement since most on this forum swear by Warn, and Smitty has all kinds of documented failures. Not saying a Warn can't or won't fail, but their reputation is earned from a 70 existence. I wouldn't touch any Shitty built crap with a 10 foot pole, especially a winch that is a safety and recovery tool. If you want to cheap out on Smitty, or can't afford a Warn, feel free though, it's your money

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Man, I really hope you don't take this the wrong way but I see you live in Florida and that both your Jeeps are only 2 years old or less. That's hardly what I would call "a while".

Fast forward to 12:10...

This is just one example of what I have seen over the years.

I say this with all sincerity, I hope that your winches always work for you. Certainly, nothing sucks more than having one fail especially when you or someone else needs them to work the most.

Ddays

Hooked

:cheesy: "never an issue" How many times have you needed your winch? Say that when you're in the middle of nowhere and your remote shits the bed. A winch is a piece of life safety equipment. Choose wisely.
If you chose Smittybilt because a winch looks cool but you don't really need one, then I guess you chose wisely. Hope you won't need to depend on it.

J

JKDream

:cheesy: "never an issue" How many times have you needed your winch? Say that when you're in the middle of nowhere and your remote shits the bed. A winch is a piece of life safety equipment. Choose wisely.
If you chose Smittybilt because a winch looks cool but you don't really need one, then I guess you chose wisely. Hope you won't need to depend on it.

Truth. Cheaped out and went shittybilt with mine, regretted it ever since. Mines the newer version too.
Controls work 1/2 of the time, lock actuation takes a hammer to move, control box held on with zip ties as the mounting plate fell apart.
Mine isn't for show though. Warn the next time around, lesson learned.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Truth. Cheaped out and went shittybilt with mine, regretted it ever since. Mines the newer version too.
Controls work 1/2 of the time, lock actuation takes a hammer to move, control box held on with zip ties as the mounting plate fell apart.
Mine isn't for show though. Warn the next time around, lesson learned.

Yeah, but it would probably be fine, if you’d only used it a couple of times...:dont_know:

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

We'll "chimesky" in on this thread since we were brought up a few times. :beer:

Yes, you can flat tow from our bumpers with our tow bar brackets. Our brackets bolt through our bumpers, through your frame horns. With our system, you are towing directly from your frame horns with zero drilling.
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/towing

We make a winch plate for the HR/10A bumpers that requires no drilling, and works with Zeon winches.
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-5017.htm

Top Bottom