DIY Spod- Waytekwire

pastorwug

Well after all the wiring was matched up to the Bussmann and to the switches it was time to test it out. So here is the op check.

Op checked all circuits and they checked good. Not bad for a knuckle dragging mech.

For those wondering I used the 12v battery from a 4wheeler. I went to Home Depot and picked up mini battery clips and soldiered a red and black wires to them. Connected the battery to the bussmann as if was being installed. Then with one of the switches a connected and a 12v light connected to the relay out I flipped the switch. Wanted to make sure I hade everything connected properly and secure prior to installing it on Canvas.

R/
Will

That is a great idea, I hid all my wires and then tested them only to find a small gauge wire had broken going to my back-up camera. Yours is a better way.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That is a great idea, I hid all my wires and then tested them only to find a small gauge wire had broken going to my back-up camera. Yours is a better way.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

As I was testing the circuts I found two wires I had incorrectly labled. I just wanted to make sure the wiring was going to work and not burn my Jeep to the ground. That would be a bad day :eek:.

pvanweelden

Here's the firewall hole on my 07. Thanks SaddleTramp and Will! Right behind the wireloom.
1393356579289.jpg
1393356623466.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ok so I just routed my pwr wires. Take a long thin screw driver and push through the insulation at a downward angle. Then push a piece of string line through the hole. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393370185.628963.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393370244.145872.jpg
I used neon green and tied to my wires and pulled them through. The entry point is on the passenger side about 24 inches up behind the cabin air filter. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393370231.146786.jpg
If you have skinny arms it will be easy but with tree limbs for arms and meat hooks for hands it was a little difficult.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393370270.932851.jpg
Then I routes the wires under the glove box support and stores the coiled wire for later use. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393370330.473096.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393370357.773856.jpg .
In the engine compartment I coil and stuck it behind the battery until I am ready. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393370430.995126.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393370438.651984.jpg

Hope this helps.

R/
Will

pvanweelden

Looks great Will! :thumb:

I always recommend using a grommet on any metal hole, but this factory hole is a little too large for a typical grommet, but if someone had some door edge trim left over from trimming their fenders, that would probably work good around the inside metal lip of the hole, and the tape that is over the hole is the same tape used in place of duct tape on furnaces. The silver high temp tape (available at any Home Depot, etc). I would use some of that to seal the hole back up after running your wires.

Where this is routed its through rigid insulation the acts as a grommet. Using a chafe strip will help where it comes out into the engine compartment.

R/
Will

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

After speaking with Carolina metal masters about wiring my ARB compressor with their passenger seat mount, I was told there is an opening in the firewall under the battery tray that can be used to run wires thru. Anybody taken the tray out and know if this is true?

Army_Vet

Banned
After speaking with Carolina metal masters about wiring my ARB compressor with their passenger seat mount, I was told there is an opening in the firewall under the battery tray that can be used to run wires thru. Anybody taken the tray out and know if this is true?

i dont think its under. i think its behind. if you go back one page, you will see it shown

pvanweelden

its above the battery tray- right behind the wireloom, you have to pull the wireloom off the bolt, take a good look at the pics on previous page-

Army_Vet

Banned
Yes I did, the photo CanvasJK posted? Maybe my pages aren't correct since I'm on my phone but I don't see wires thru the firewall on the previous page

ahh sorry i didnt know. there are a few users that posted a few pictures. anyway you dont need to take the battery out. its on the firewall behind the insulation

ahh sorry i didnt know. there are a few users that posted a few pictures. anyway you dont need to take the battery out. its on the firewall behind the insulation

Yes pull the insulation back and you will see a black plastic cover that is glued to the firewall. Use a screwdriver to punch through the insulation in the cabin and feed your wires. I used a string line to get it through. Oh wait you have a fish line so use that. ;)

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

Top Bottom