Do Yourself a Favor - Regear Your 2012-Up JK!!

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Bump this one up for anyone on the fence as I can echo Eddie’s thoughts when he said, “all I can say is - why in the hell didn't we do this sooner!!”

I’ve only dipped my toes into the break-in process but I can say with certainty that my transmission is much happier.

Previously, I’d be cruising at 45mph and the Jeep would be in 4th gear turning 1100rpms. Now it maintains a RPM that doesn’t force it to downshift for the slightest grade.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

pop2tu

Well I did myself a favor! Re-geared to 5:13s. At first I was worried about going that low for the highway speeds. Still in break in time, so no heavy acceleration test yet. With some light driving I noticed the transmission shifts as it should. Got it up to 75 for a minute and engine seems to just purr right along. They are awesome. I can’t believe I waited so long to do it!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well I did myself a favor! Re-geared to 5:13s. At first I was worried about going that low for the highway speeds. Still in break in time, so no heavy acceleration test yet. With some light driving I noticed the transmission shifts as it should. Got it up to 75 for a minute and engine seems to just purr right along. They are awesome. I can’t believe I waited so long to do it!

Glad to hear you finally stepped up and did something for your Jeep that made a real difference. :yup:

Mayberry

Sorry to bring up a zombie thread but I just read through this whole thing and there is some good info in here. And since this is the place to ask the regear question...

I'm going for more of a overland build. Specifically more of the old school "pizza cutter" look, a narrow tire instead of a wide. I don't want to lift it so I will probably going to stay in the 33/34" tire range. I have a 2013 JK Sport with the manual, currently on 265/70/17 so 31". My JK is also my daily driver, I go 50 ish miles a day of mostly highway with short town drives on both ends. The highway drive does include some up and down hills (welcome to Knoxville) and right now I like how the Jeep does on the highway. My trail riding will be light trails, mostly used to get out in the woods for fishing/camping/hunting spots.

Before reading this thread I thought I needed to go to 4.10 gears. After reading this thread I get the impression 4.10s would still be ok, but that 4.56 may be better. Is that correct?

kep01

Sorry to bring up a zombie thread but I just read through this whole thing and there is some good info in here. And since this is the place to ask the regear question...

I'm going for more of a overland build. Specifically more of the old school "pizza cutter" look, a narrow tire instead of a wide. I don't want to lift it so I will probably going to stay in the 33/34" tire range. I have a 2013 JK Sport with the manual, currently on 265/70/17 so 31". My JK is also my daily driver, I go 50 ish miles a day of mostly highway with short town drives on both ends. The highway drive does include some up and down hills (welcome to Knoxville) and right now I like how the Jeep does on the highway. My trail riding will be light trails, mostly used to get out in the woods for fishing/camping/hunting spots.

Before reading this thread I thought I needed to go to 4.10 gears. After reading this thread I get the impression 4.10s would still be ok, but that 4.56 may be better. Is that correct?

Do 4.88. That’s what I have and That seems to be the sweet spot for 35 inch tires and if you’re gonna go 34s might as well be set for 35s just in case you decide to step up in the future.

wjtstudios

Hooked
If your running the hills there in Tennessee, I would definitely recommend 4:88s. My 37 BFGs and 4:88s were really searching for gears on the bigger highway climbs in Tennessee. Made me wish I had 5:13s.

USMC Wrangler

Mayberry, I just regeared to 4.56 on 35” tires in my ‘13 with an auto. I realize the tire size and transmission are different, but I DD mine about 40 miles a day highway. Here are a couple of comparisons of speed with RPM’s in 5th gear with my setup.

IMG_7183.jpg

IMG_7184.jpg

Both of those were on pretty flat stretches. If your truly going to stay with a 33” tire (that will measure shorter than 33”) and you’re happy with the way it drives now, I’d leave it alone. That’s just me though. It’s easier to change tire sizes than gears. Again, just my 2¢.

mrew2017

I have a 2015 JK Rubicon. Dana 44 front and rear. Stock 3.73 gears. I right now I have 35’s. I’m going up to 37’s. I plan on getting 5.13’s . Do I need to purchase full gear kit or just the gears itself???

I have auto trans.

VMSHack

Ok so I’ve read many threads on choosing gears...I think I have decided on 4.56 on my 2013 2 dr auto. I have 33’s right now. Seen many threads on gear brands. They are most made in Korea. Are there any brands to steer clear of? A shop will be doing it and got 2 prices, jackit here is salt lake with G2 gears, $2600, Agility Customs, also here, Yukon and $1350. Not sure why the vast price difference but it is what it is.

I’ve never regeared before so I don’t know what is needed.

IMG_0459.JPG

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
Ok so I’ve read many threads on choosing gears...I think I have decided on 4.56 on my 2013 2 dr auto. I have 33’s right now. Seen many threads on gear brands. They are most made in Korea. Are there any brands to steer clear of? A shop will be doing it and got 2 prices, jackit here is salt lake with G2 gears, $2600, Agility Customs, also here, Yukon and $1350. Not sure why the vast price difference but it is what it is.

View attachment 324875

I personally think $2600 is to high for a Regear, hell, not even a shop as good as Off Road evolution charges that...

https://www.offroadevolution.com/services/regearing/

Last edited:

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug

View attachment 324875

$2600 is steep. I just had 4.88 gears, c-gussets, and ball joints done for $2200.

Top Bottom