DOT beadlock rims

JAGS

Hooked
This thread made me laugh.

As for beadlocks, run what you like. There are several quality ones out there. As for OP, never seen or heard of that one. Also believe mopar makes a dot approved beadlock wheel, if that stamp is important to you. Or AEV?

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
It's not that what you said is necessarily untrue, it's that it is full of conclusory statements that may or may not be true depending on the circumstances.

For example...

Not necessarily true. What if someone else hits me? Are they not going to pay? No. What if the cause of the accident is me running a red light? Are they not going to pay because I did so with non-dot wheels? No.

Now, if all 24 bolts on a set of ATX slabs come lose (;)) simultaneously and cause your tire to blow, in turn causing you to skid out of control in to a bus load of catholic school children killing them all in a fiery inferno...then yeah, I think there is some room for discussion there. :yup:

And what reason is that? If you say because they are inherently unsafe I think a lot of people will disagree.

It's not that you don't have a valid point, it's just the way you went about saying it that cause people to react the way they did. Everyone should make an informed decision. Thanks for posting up your opinion. :thumb:

Very well said Mike.

GCM 2

Not that I have seen evidence of... but, please prove me wrong. Pics vids, whatever. I am planning a move out west one day to enjoy more of the wonderful wheeling this country has to offer, so by all means, show me where the good trails are

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

No pics, just my personal experience. As military guy you may have never seen a tire lose a bead because you were required to run the air pressure stenciled on the top of the wheel well. Tires don't lose their seat on the bead when running normal air pressure. Back when my team was one of many testing the HMMWV to be the permanent replacement for our really fun, but completely incapable Desert Patrol Vehicles (DPV) or better known as the Fast Attack Vehicle (FAV), we did lots of testing for AM General. As to be expected 90% of the really usefull stuff we wanted changed, like motor, transfer case, winches, wheels, we're never going to happen. We actually tested quite a few aftermarket wheels back then and these were all new to the market and got a workout: Walker Evans, Robbie Gordon, Allied and some steel homemade looking job I don't remember. All worked better than the H1's when aired down to increase off road capability.
If this is for some shade tree experimental trail rig, sure fab up some H1 wheels. But here's a short list of reasons not to even waste the time with military takeoffs if you are using these for a daily driver like a JK.

- Unless you have axles with 8 lug bolt patten, you have to cut the bolt pattern out and re-weld in what ever you have 5x5", 5x5 1/2" etc. I hope you have a fab shop that knows how to do this because wheels work best when they are round.
-The scrawny O-ring between the two halves is a common point of failure that causes wheels not to seal, you need to completely break the wheel apart to change it out.
- The internal "beadlock" doesn't work when you air down, the beads simply slip off over the internal "beadlock". It's not really locking anything, they are both separate and the tire and the internal "beadlock" can/will spin independently when aired down.
- Balancing these wheels is very hard because they are only required to be meet a certain manufactured specification that is far less superior to DOT standards, they were never designed to be used for civilian vehicles at civilian hwy speeds.
- Do a check on the availability of 16.5" tires out there, now check the availability of radial 16.5" tires out there. Unless you have a nice supply of Military Goodyear Baja 37"x16.5" tires, there are not a great selection of choices waiting to be purchased anywhere.

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Honest question Greg, do these same problems exist with Hutchinson's (except for the bolt pattern issue)?

I certainly have heard they tend to leak.

GCM 2

Honest question Greg, do these same problems exist with Hutchinson's (except for the bolt pattern issue)?

I certainly have heard they tend to leak.

The leaks will be for the same reason no matter what mfg, that O-ring is crucial, if it is not seated correctly or a used one is put back in after you split the wheel it's going to leak. How fast it leaks obviously depends on how jacked-up the O-ring install went. Hutchinson has made different mil-spec wheels used by lots of different military units and contractor companies on really heavy vehicles, so I know they are made to much higher quality than run of the mill HMMWV wheels. However, I have never had any personal experience with Hutchinson Rock Monsters or any other model wheel they make , so I can't comment. They certainly are a sweet looking wheel! I like them :thumb:

I do know that the H1 wheels when aired down performed no better than a stock truck's steel wheel when aired down, you were going to lose a bead below a certain PSI depending on how much weight we were loaded with. So an unloaded GMV (our desert HMMWV gun trucks, pretty minimalist for a set up) was about 7500-8000 lbs, we would run about 12-15 psi in soft sand and rocks. With more weight, more psi. In Oman (awesome wheeling btw) my team reseated, and/or replaced completely, I think 8 tires in 30 days worth of training. The tires were serious use tires too, 37" Baja T/A's and 38" TSL-SX's

YKPizzaGuy

This thread made me laugh.

As for beadlocks, run what you like. There are several quality ones out there. As for OP, never seen or heard of that one. Also believe mopar makes a dot approved beadlock wheel, if that stamp is important to you. Or AEV?

I'm not that hung up on having the DOT stamp it was just more for any future problems as far as having to swap them every time I go off road. Really just wanted to know if anyone had seen the ones I posted and knew of any other production ones out there.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

So you guys are going to give me a hard time ,That's average . Is what I said untrue ? You guys giving me a hard time , do you run beadlocks on the street ? You are probably right , maybe a rant but , not preaching .Did you think maybe some on here may not know about using beadlocks on the street ? Not everyone is as bright and all knowing as you ! LOL !

I see more under inflated tires, near flat, on the highway all the time. People playing with their phones or themselves while driving. Blown shock absorbers/steering components. Vehicles that can't maintain a safe speed for the road they are on or stay in their lane. I haven't seen beadlock wheels in my area. Not disrespecting you in anyway but, I think the least of our worries is whether or not a company wants to spend the time and money to get the DOT approval on wheels. Someone buying beadlock wheels will more than likely be aware of the maintenance involved in them. Tire blow outs also happen...How is that different than a bolt or three working loose on a beadlock wheel and your tire eventually going flat?

I see more under inflated tires, near flat, on the highway all the time. People playing with their phones or themselves while driving. Blown shock absorbers/steering components. Vehicles that can't maintain a safe speed for the road they are on or stay in their lane. I haven't seen beadlock wheels in my area. Not disrespecting you in anyway but, I think the least of our worries is whether or not a company wants to spend the time and money to get the DOT approval on wheels. Someone buying beadlock wheels will more than likely be aware of the maintenance involved in them. Tire blow outs also happen...How is that different than a bolt or three working loose on a beadlock wheel and your tire eventually going flat?

well Joshua, because he cant complain about things like that! ONLY the "illegal" use of beadlocks on the roads of north america! it is "reckless and dangerous"!!! But the 300lbs lady throwing down a BigMac while driving with her legs, well that is fine!

andrew-

Markymark420

There is always the option to run an internal beadlock (i.e. Staun, Coyote, etc..) This will turn any DOT approved wheel into a beadlock, and no one will be the wiser. I do not have any experience w/ them, just thought that, by theory, they are a pretty cool option and just a little cheaper than purchasing new wheels.

staun-beadlock.jpg

staun-beadlock-howitworks.jpg

YKPizzaGuy

There is always the option to run an internal beadlock (i.e. Staun, Coyote, etc..) This will turn any DOT approved wheel into a beadlock, and no one will be the wiser. I do not have any experience w/ them, just thought that, by theory, they are a pretty cool option and just a little cheaper than purchasing new wheels.

View attachment 44136

View attachment 44137

That is what the one I posted in my op is. An internal lock. But not a tube. Look it up. B.A.D. Wheels.

JKbrick

I know this isn't the b.a.d.d. Wheel but I just read an article on Eaton bead locks. They can make from 15" to 20" with any backspacing or bolt pattern. Didn't say if dot or not. ntwonline.com

YKPizzaGuy

I know this isn't the b.a.d.d. Wheel but I just read an article on Eaton bead locks. They can make from 15" to 20" with any backspacing or bolt pattern. Didn't say if dot or not. ntwonline.com

Sweet ill look it up. Part of the that makes me lean to the Bad rims is the "sacrificial rock ring" I have beat up my rims now and it's would be nice to have a removable ring that I can replace for $100.

dahreno

Banned
I wasn't knocking anyone or what they do . I also can't post everything unsafe people do.I don't understand why you people have to knock me . I was just trying to make a point to the uninformed.Sorry I got carried away .

Top Bottom