Driveline "click" when pressing clutch pedal

jeepgreenjon

Hey everyone, I bought my JK at 60000km and noticed right away it makes a click noise when the powertrain unloads (when I push in the clutch pedal) I assumed this was just a normal noise as I could not find any play anywhere in my drivetrain. As time goes on I may just be paranoid but im starting to wonder if maybe it isnt normal. Almost every time I push the clutch pedal from under the Jeep I hear the "click, Click" its loud and you can hear it away from the vehicle. Is this a normal thing on the JK's? Since Ive added the 35's it seems even more noticeable, but once again I may just be paranoid! I wish one of my buddies close by owned a JK so I could compare...

sean.ellis

My 2011 does this as well, it started doing it around 15000km for me, and when i added 35's at 55000k its gotten a little bit more noticeable as well... im going to mention it to my mechanic at my next service, but at 63000km nothing catastrophic has happened yet...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
yea mine happens when I push in the clutch pedal... sounds like its coming from the pedal too me...

This is common with a clutch slave that is starting to go bad. Fortunately, replacing it won't cost much and it isn't too hard to do.

jeepgreenjon

Mine is coming from the transmission/transfer case area... At first I thought it sounded like when a u joint would go on a rear shaft. You can see its when the transmission moves back to its unloaded position. Its really loud when you abruptly press the clutch pedal. I was a little concerned about a bad engine or transmission mount, but couldnt see anything noticable. The shifter really vibrates around when driving but thats pretty normal from what ive seen.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, how much of a load are you talking about when you push in your clutch? Like first gear and 4000 RPM or 6th and 1500 RPM? Does it do it no matter what?

jeepgreenjon

Well, how much of a load are you talking about when you push in your clutch? Like first gear and 4000 RPM or 6th and 1500 RPM? Does it do it no matter what?

Low RPM, it seems worse when you are lugging the engine. Can do it in any gear, however in first you hear it the most. It does do it when you push the clutch at high rpm but not as loud.

jeepgreenjon

Ok so I just went out with my wife to see if I can duplicate it. Vehicle running, first gear foot on brake, release clutch slightly and push it in you can hear the noise right in the center of the transmission. sounds like a u-joint click but its in the transmission (from what I can tell)
It actually seemed to even do it the first time i depressed the clutch not in gear but then stopped until I put it in gear... I imagine a faulty slave could cause the clutch to slap if there would be a dead spot, otherwise there isnt anything inside the transmission that I think could make a sound quite like this. I cannot duplicate the noise while driving by just playing with the gas. I have to press in the clutch to get it to do it...

Last edited:

jeepgreenjon

Im going to bump this thread again. The noise is still there, everytime I depress my clutch pedal while moving you here a noticable CLICK CLACK. With the doors off it is very loud and ive been asked a few times if I have a bad u-joint. My u-joints are fine. the noise is definitely coming from the "bell housing" area of the tranny. I decided to bump this thread as I am going to order a new clutch slave tomorrow to see if it fixes my noise... not to mention every so often after a long trip you can feel the clutch slave is starting to go bad

miguel250r

I'm not familure with jeep clutches but my f450 service truck has springs in the clutch that make noises when u take off perfectly normal

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

miguel250r

Seems like the more rusted those clutch springs get the more noise they make

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeepgreenjon

It very well maybe a normal noise, unfortunately the only other JK ive ever driven was an automatic. And on you tube I havent heard another one make the same noise

Top Bottom