Dusy Ershim 2018

Brute

Hooked
The video is "The Dusy: A Wheeling Adventure"...I've watched it several times...Eddie grenaded the rear ring gear in his 44 and finished the trail in front wheel drive only, which is a feat in itself...

My concern is the width between several trees...the Brute will have new XD60's with 1550 wheel ends, which is a very wide axle, and coupled with a long wheelbase, are any of these trees going to become impassable in this rig?

LkYdEvIL

Just curious...for those of you that have run this trail before, is it doable in my Brute with 139" wheelbase?...it will be on 40's and a 5"lift, but I'm concerned with the section that's tight with the trees...

I say yes, you can.
I ran my 87 Suburban on 37’s and 6 inch lift on Dusy Ershim, from Courtright reservoir all the way out.
Chicken rock was the most sketchy part IMO. The wheel base was helpful, but it was really top heavy.
I took a LOT of carnage on the trees, both sides and in the back, but it’s doable. 4 feet of departure makes for a good time! ...and rear doors that don’t open anymore.
HSD60 front locked and Corp14FF rear locked, is the only way it was possible.
That was back in 2000, while I was stationed in Lemoore. I’m sure 18 years has changed the trail a bit though.
I’m hoping to get this JKU built in time for the Dusy next year.

Do it...

Via Satellite Uplink: LkYdEvIL

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
The video is "The Dusy: A Wheeling Adventure"...I've watched it several times...Eddie grenaded the rear ring gear in his 44 and finished the trail in front wheel drive only, which is a feat in itself...

My concern is the width between several trees...the Brute will have new XD60's with 1550 wheel ends, which is a very wide axle, and coupled with a long wheelbase, are any of these trees going to become impassable in this rig?

Not sure how wide your rig will be after all that, but I think Eddie said Moby was 88” wide at the time (?) and damn near had to climb a tree to get through.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
I say yes, you can.
I ran my 87 Suburban on 37’s and 6 inch lift on Dusy Ershim, from Courtright reservoir all the way out.
Chicken rock was the most sketchy part IMO. The wheel base was helpful, but it was really top heavy.
I took a LOT of carnage on the trees, both sides and in the back, but it’s doable. 4 feet of departure makes for a good time! ...and rear doors that don’t open anymore.
HSD60 front locked and Corp14FF rear locked, is the only way it was possible.
That was back in 2000, while I was stationed in Lemoore. I’m sure 18 years has changed the trail a bit though.
I’m hoping to get this JKU built in time for the Dusy next year.

Do it...

Not sure how wide your rig will be after all that, but I think Eddie said Moby was 88” wide at the time (?) and damn near had to climb a tree to get through.

I don't mind climbing the tree...but if I'm going to bash the bed in due to length, especially if there is a turn needed right after squeezing through a pair of trees, I think I'll take the Hellcat...I was hoping to have the extra cargo space and fuel capacity of the Brute for an extended fishing/camping trip...but I can strap on my inflatable kayak onto the JK6...

What say you Eddie?...

LkYdEvIL

Brute, I’m not going to BS you. I haven’t been on that trail in a very long time. But... 18 years later and Dusy is still my favorite trail of all time. It’s not the most technical by any means, nor is it on top of the “popular” list. But something about that trail was magical for me. It’s EPIC!
That being said, I didn’t drive that Suburban very much afterward. It was beat to hell. The barn doors wouldn’t open, all 4 side doors were bent in, the frame was twisted, and that thing never drove straight again. I’m not real sure how I didn’t bust all of the windows out. I loved that Suburban. It was pristine before the Dusy got ahold of it. She was just too damn big!
It was like shoving a bowling ball through a soda can. The opposite of a hotdog down a hallway?? Or I don’t know what else to compare it to, but I was in trouble when I got home and the wife saw what I’d done.
My point is... can it be done? Yes. But that doesn’t mean it should be.
I’m a lot more concerned about the damage I leave it my path now days too.
Those trees were pissed, I’m sure.

Eddie has a better take on the trail than I do, in it’s current condition, I’d be willing to bet.
I had a baby girl when I did that trip. Now she’s starting her first year at college. Things change...

Trail JK

Just curious...for those of you that have run this trail before, is it doable in my Brute with 139" wheelbase?...it will be on 40's and a 5"lift, but I'm concerned with the section that's tight with the trees...

You’ll be fine. We ran it last year with Moby. I don’t recall Brute being wider than Moby is it? You’ll want to stay vigilant there will be a couple of tight areas.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't mind climbing the tree...but if I'm going to bash the bed in due to length, especially if there is a turn needed right after squeezing through a pair of trees, I think I'll take the Hellcat...I was hoping to have the extra cargo space and fuel capacity of the Brute for an extended fishing/camping trip...but I can strap on my inflatable kayak onto the JK6...

What say you Eddie?...

What I can tell you is that I'm sure you can "do it" but I doubt your Brute will look the same afterward. Even if you were to make it unscathed, I think it would slow your trip down substantially and be more of a pain than it could ever be fun.

Top Bottom