Dynatrac Prosteer Ball Joint Interference

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Look at it this way; you now have the perfect excuse to upgrade front shafts:brows:

Ha ha! :rock:

Maybe so. It did recommend RCV as a fix basically.

Damn..

So I'll just modify the yoke and be very careful. Definitely won't let it get too warm.

I'll make sure to post as the install progresses.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

FoxC

Ha ha! :rock:

Maybe so. It did recommend RCV as a fix basically.

Damn..

So I'll just modify the yoke and be very careful. Definitely won't let it get too warm.

I'll make sure to post as the install

Skirmish broke a shaft u-joint on our marathon run and I let him have the stock shaft from my stock axle. Both of our jeeps are 2012's but mine had the revised larger yokes. He had some rubbing when we swaped the shafts out but it was very very *minimal. I cant remember if he even had to actually grind it down...I dont think so. I think he is running synergy ball joints but I also think it was rubbing on the brake caliper bolts and not the ball joints in his case. Maybe install and see how bad before you grind it down.:idontknow:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Skirmish broke a shaft u-joint on our marathon run and I let him have the stock shaft from my stock axle. Both of our jeeps are 2012's but mine had the revised larger yokes. He had some rubbing when we swaped the shafts out but it was very very *minimal. I cant remember if he even had to actually grind it down...I dont think so. I think he is running synergy ball joints but I also think it was rubbing on the brake caliper bolts and not the ball joints in his case. Maybe install and see how bad before you grind it down.:idontknow:

Good to know. I will keep everyone posted on how this goes. :thumb:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
So when Dynatrac says major interference they mean what they say. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if there is a recomended yoke for the outer axle shaft that is known to fit without interference. Otherwise I will have to grind about 1/8th inch off. Not looking forward to that. :icon_crazy:

I honestly feel that they should say these ball joints don't fit JK 2012 or pre-warn about this issue. Maybe even correct the problem with the ball joints.

Ugh....:mad::gaah::banghead::furious3:

jeeeep

Hooked
I wonder how much extra material Chrysler added to make the 'C' beefier? that whole purpose of that was to keep them from bending as they often do with oversize tires.

So may be fine if you grind, gusset and go...

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378507005.863884.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378507033.960003.jpg

It looks like it could be quite a bit.

Anyone in TX have an old D44 outer axle shaft they can overnight? :D

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Mines at 2012 and those RCV's do take up some room. I did not grind anything.

I just got done grinding on the axles. I'll throw some pics up here later tonight or tomorrow. Had to grind a good bit but they came out nice and I'm not afraid they will break. It worked out very nice.

:thumb:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
The axles have been ground down and the Jeep is all back together and everything clears :wings:.

There is a fair amount of grinding involved to make the Ball joint fit but it isn't too bad if you have a good vise and decent grinding skills. I happen to have a Park Tool bike mechanics stand that worked perfect to hold the axle for grinding. The stand is made to hold the seat post or top tube of a bike so it's basically an advanced pipe clamp.

This took about 4 hrs measuring, grinding, fitting, grinding, measuring etc. Once we got the first side of one axle stub yoke clearing then we marked the other 3 sides and proceeded to grind. I'd say we had to take off roughly 1/8" at the deepest section.

I only have pictures of the before, and after. We were too busy trying to get this done and I forgot to take action shots of the grinding.

I made sure to round everything off nicely and not leave corners or sharp spots. Internal corners will create weak spots. I also made sure not to heat things up too much.

IMG_2953.jpg IMG_2954.jpg IMG_2957.jpg IMG_2962.jpg IMG_2968.jpg IMG_2970.jpg IMG_2974.jpg IMG_2977.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
so I'm wondering what your blood pressure was before and after :thinking: nice work...
I'm replacing ball joints this weekend if it's not hotter than hell ...

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
so I'm wondering what your blood pressure was before and after :thinking: nice work...
I'm replacing ball joints this weekend if it's not hotter than hell ...

lol Well it was hotter than hell here. I set up my 10x10 popup shade in the driveway and a fan to help. I don't think I'd have done as good a job if the sun had been cooking me while grinding. :crazyeyes:

Will you be installing the Dynatracs?

My blood pressure wasn't bad. It just takes a little time is all. :thumb:

jeeeep

Hooked
lol Well it was hotter than hell here. I set up my 10x10 popup shade in the driveway and a fan to help. I don't think I'd have done as good a job if the sun had been cooking me while grinding. :crazyeyes:

Will you be installing the Dynatracs?

My blood pressure wasn't bad. It just takes a little time is all. :thumb:

I'm installing Moog greasable - saving for an LS and since the Moog carry a lifetime warranty I hope to have axle upgrades before they need to get replaced again.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
That looks like a massive pain in the ass. Do you know if you only encounter the clearance issues with the lower ball joints or the uppers too? I know you replaced the lowers due to failure, but wondered if you've had any issues with the uppers too.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
That looks like a massive pain in the ass. Do you know if you only encounter the clearance issues with the lower ball joints or the uppers too? I know you replaced the lowers due to failure, but wondered if you've had any issues with the uppers too.

Yeah ball joints are a pain in the ass themselves but then to have to grind the axle stub yolk is a real kick in the teeth... but it honestly wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It only took a couple hours longer and I didn't have anything better to do anyway. :) :beer:

I installed both top and bottom ball joints. It's only the bottom ball joint that has interference with the axle stub yolk, and only for the casting listed on the green sheet in the first post. If you already own RCVs then you shouldn't have a problem. No issues with the uppers.

And if your going to do this I'd suggest buying the install kit. It is impossible to put the ball joint installed without either making a tool or having the install kit. I ended up having some tubing that was the correct diameter and just made the part. I bought a press at Harbor Freight for $60 thinking it had what I needed but it didn't. Before buying the Harbor Freight press I borrowed one from AutoZone that I used to remove the OE ball joints.

If I haven't already said this, the driving/steering experience is amazingly different with these ball joints! Very tight steering now.

Top Bottom