DYNATRAC SAFETY RECALL on 1550 Steering Knuckles

Brute

Hooked
I gave my knuckles a good going over this morning when I went to the shop that was redoing Brute's bed cage...no cracks that can be seen with my eyes. We did contact Dynatrac Tuesday morning, still awaiting a reply. It is interesting that Dynatrac chose to go with an aluminum alloy for this part, since due to their size negates most of the weight savings.

In the diving industry that I was part of prior to retiring, there was a major concern in regard to 6351-T6 alum alloy used in the manufacture of aluminum diving cylinders, as some developed over time what is known as an SLC (sustained load crack) in the necks where the valves seated; this resulted in all cylinder manufacturer's to change to 6061-T6 alloy, which resolved this problem. I believe the 6061-T6 alloy was used in making these knuckles...I'm wondering if the tempering was incorrect and if this is a batch specific problem...

bhaner

Just got more info from Dynatrac... Looks like they are replacing with iron! Also glad to see that I will not need to R&R the ball joints!

Order Summary:

Item​
Qty​
Description​
Rate​
Amount​
XD60-2X3131-C1Knuckle Set, Dynatrac XD60-1550, RH and LH, ***IRON***, 0.620" Bottom-Up Drag Link, 0.648" Top-Down Tie Rod, 0-Deg Bushing Kit, Mounting Hardware, NO Ball Joints, 2007-2018 JK, 2018-2020 JL, 2019-2020 JT$1,190.00$1,190.00
DA60-2X3050-F1Ball Joint Kit, Dynatrac ProSteer, 2 Uppers and 2 Lowers, XD60-1550LT$859.00$859.00
General Dynatrac Axle1*** PREP KNUCKLES WITH BALL JOINTS *** $0.00
Discount($2,049.00)
Tax$0.00
Total$0.00

Brute

Hooked
Just got more info from Dynatrac... Looks like they are replacing with iron! Also glad to see that I will not need to R&R the ball joints!

Order Summary:

Item​
Qty​
Description​
Rate​
Amount​
XD60-2X3131-C1Knuckle Set, Dynatrac XD60-1550, RH and LH, ***IRON***, 0.620" Bottom-Up Drag Link, 0.648" Top-Down Tie Rod, 0-Deg Bushing Kit, Mounting Hardware, NO Ball Joints, 2007-2018 JK, 2018-2020 JL, 2019-2020 JT$1,190.00$1,190.00
DA60-2X3050-F1Ball Joint Kit, Dynatrac ProSteer, 2 Uppers and 2 Lowers, XD60-1550LT$859.00$859.00
General Dynatrac Axle1*** PREP KNUCKLES WITH BALL JOINTS ***$0.00
Discount($2,049.00)
Tax$0.00
Total$0.00
That's great...any info as to when they are going to ship?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Order Summary:

Item​
Qty​
Description​
Rate​
Amount​
Discount($2,049.00)
Tax$0.00
Total$0.00
Awesome! I really like the Pro 60 knuckles and even better that they're coming with ball joints installed. (y)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Order Summary:

Item​
Qty​
Description​
Rate​
Amount​
Discount($2,049.00)
Tax$0.00
Total$0.00
I could be wrong but didn’t you pay extra for the aluminum knuckles? Now they are sending you iron knuckles which makes your axle a PR60. So you paid an extra $3k or more for a couple years? Fuck that shit. I’d tell them to give me the aluminum knuckles I bought and paid for or refund my money. What a shitshow this company is now.

Brute

Hooked
I have a tracking number with fedex but it doens't show anything yet. I will keep everyone posted.
Good luck...I know you have a trip coming up soon, so I hope you have them quickly. Since mine don't appear to be cracked, I'm just going to keep driving them until they show up...

bhaner

I could be wrong but didn’t you pay extra for the aluminum knuckles? Now they are sending you iron knuckles which makes your axle a PR60. So you paid an extra $3k or more for a couple years? Fuck that shit. I’d tell them to give me the aluminum knuckles I bought and paid for or refund my money. What a shitshow this company is now.
A valid point. I am unsure what the price difference was in 2018. I just knew I wanted the 1550 joints.

The 60/80 combo I got was $17k.

They are holding the $249 until they get the aluminum knuckles back...

MericaMade

Ohhh that is a great point. I am glad to hear how fast they moved on this for you Bryon.

So does changing the knuckled now change the steering or scrub radius?

Last edited:

TonyT

Caught the Bug
They got it all handled pretty quick. I got the invoice same as above. My tracking info says they'll deliver in two days.

Also got this when I inquired about the changes:

"The Replacement knuckles will be IRON not Aluminum. None of the upgrade features that were designed into the 1550 Aluminum knuckles change, aside from the material. The new Iron knuckles carry all of the same features and also include a ¼” additional gap between the tie rod and drag link mounting ears to allow for easier installation of aftermarket components. Your new knuckles will also be pre prepped with new Dynatrac HD ball joints."

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
"The Replacement knuckles will be IRON not Aluminum. None of the upgrade features that were designed into the 1550 Aluminum knuckles change, aside from the material. The new Iron knuckles carry all of the same features and also include a ¼” additional gap between the tie rod and drag link mounting ears to allow for easier installation of aftermarket components. Your new knuckles will also be pre prepped with new Dynatrac HD ball joints."
This is correct. I just asked around and from what I understand, it will be the same knuckle design only made out of iron now.

Robar

The Enforcer
They got it all handled pretty quick. I got the invoice same as above. My tracking info says they'll deliver in two days.
This was after you contacted Dynatrac, correct? They handled it because you contacted them. I haven't found anything they put out as a recall publicly. Not even mention of it on their website. That's troubling.

bhaner

When I asked about a refund for the upgraded aluminum option I had paid for:

The Replacement knuckles will be IRON not Aluminum. None of the UPGRADE features that were designed into the 1550 Aluminum knuckles were left out of the new 1550 Iron knuckles, only the material has changed. The new 1550 Iron knuckles carry all of the same features as the older 1550 Aluminum knuckles and also include a ¼” additional gap between the tie rod and drag link mounting ears to allow for easier installation of aftermarket components. Your new 1550 Iron knuckles will also be pre prepped with new Dynatrac HD ball joints.

WJCO

Meme King
When I asked about a refund for the upgraded aluminum option I had paid for:

The Replacement knuckles will be IRON not Aluminum. None of the UPGRADE features that were designed into the 1550 Aluminum knuckles were left out of the new 1550 Iron knuckles, only the material has changed. The new 1550 Iron knuckles carry all of the same features as the older 1550 Aluminum knuckles and also include a ¼” additional gap between the tie rod and drag link mounting ears to allow for easier installation of aftermarket components. Your new 1550 Iron knuckles will also be pre prepped with new Dynatrac HD ball joints.
How much do those things weigh now?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Shipping shows 40 lbs each...
It's crazy that when they were made out of aluminum, they were 8 lbs lighter than the much smaller Pro60 knuckles but now that they're made out of iron, it makes total sense that they're so heavy.

bhaner

I asked if they were going to cover the cost of alignments... I also asked when they planned to release the recall... Because I had only seen it here...

Dynatrac is only covering the $245.00 labor credit for this exchange. And as for the recall, we only started calling customers last Friday to gauge the feedback before we released the official recall. Someone shared the email they received on the forums before we have had a chance to officially announce the recall. This has caused an influx of customer to call in before the rest of the team was prepped so I am singlehandedly handling the recall, so I thank you for being patient. Dynatrac will release the recall next week.

Top Bottom