Edelbrock or ripp?

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I did a lot of researching on SC and decided that spending 5k for minimal gain wasn't worth it. I could use that money towards other jeep parts that are more useful. When my 3.8 goes out, I will cross that hurdle when I get there.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
A supercharged 3.6 can never compare to the power spectrum of an LS or v8 in general, as you have more power across the board and you don't need to wait for boost to be made. Plus being someone who has owned many forced induction vehicles, I can tell you FI platforms suffer from heat soak and would suffer more in a warmer climate rock crawling. Between the slow trail speeds, the extra drive line resistance from the blower/sc, and the heat build up would only set you up for overheating as mentioned above.

aldaman

The old cliché "There's no Replacement for Displacement" like what the majority suggested, your money is better spent re-gearing and/or saving up for a V8 swap :beer: :thumb:

BigPrince

I'm going to answer the question directly and then follow the larger question as everyone else has -

RIPP sounds and looks 'cooler' for the show kids since the intercooler is more discernible in the front and it makes more turbo noise. I've heard good things about their support. The roots style SCs like Edelbrock/Magnusson make more lower end torque than the Ripp and have less lag and I have had good support from Magnusson - just answering the OPs question directly.

Overall, if you have a 3.73 or other stock ratio and haven't regeared, yeah that's more important to start. I was happy with the pep of the 4.10 Rubicon gears with stock tires but add bigger tires and it needed regearing. So, look at other mods for better spending of money before a SC if you haven't.

On the v8 vs SC answers given here, as an example, I got a deal and spent 3k on my Magnusson SC and have used the heck out of it. For 3k, adding what the Magnusson did, - even in Moab... - helped push my 41.5 Pitbulls nicely. As an example, I got a little too happy with skinny pedal here on the Rusty Nail Trail in Moab -

DSC09890%20-2.jpg

Everyone has a personal opinion like everyone has/is an ass. :) Is it an LS? No. Is an LS better than a SC? Yes. Just like a Corvette is better than a Chevy Cruz. Would I like an LS? Sure. Am I going to spend $15-20k on an LS on a 2yr old Jeep? No. Has the SC been worth it for less than I spent on beadlocks and tires? Yes. Will I swap to an LS when the 3.6 craps out? Yep. Hopefully 3-4yrs out and they'll be a little cheaper since everyone will be JL crazy by then. Not looking forward to all the ancillary costs that will go with the LS also - Regearing axles, Atlas changes, driveshafts, etc.

Just an example and another opinion.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For 3k, adding what the Magnusson did, - even in Moab... - helped push my 41.5 Pitbulls nicely. As an example, I got a little too happy with skinny pedal here on the Rusty Nail Trail in Moab

DSC09890%20-2.jpg

Hope you don't take this the wrong way but what I'm seeing here is exactly what I mean by "kicking in at the wrong time". If you had real power when you needed it, there would have been no getting "too happy with the skinny pedal". Also, it looks like you picked a bad line and your rear diff is catching. Not trying to start anything, just calling it like I see it.

deadguy

Hope you don't take this the wrong way but what I'm seeing here is exactly what I mean by "kicking in at the wrong time". If you had real power when you needed it, there would have been no getting "too happy with the skinny pedal". Also, it looks like you picked a bad line and your rear diff is catching. Not trying to start anything, just calling it like I see it.
I'd extend that right side hydro line and the other electrical or air line going to your diff in that pic. Just a little more droop and you might have some problems

Tried to link bigprinces pic and no go. I SUCK
Sent from my XT1096 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Rubicon310

NOT relevant to a jeep but I had a TRD supercharger on my 2002 Tacoma. I had nothing but problems with it. Engine ping, spark knock, nose cone issues and
It sounded like poop. Not to mention it would ONLY kick in at 2800 rpms if I recall correctly. I also had to run the higher octane fuel and add a 7th injector to my engine. I ended up taking the super charger out and swapping it for a coilover setup.

Unless you like to go fast on the freeway, I wouldn't recommend it.

BigPrince

Not taking it wrong. Was totally driver fault for trying to power over that obstacle rather than crawl it better. Rear diff didn't catch, just camera angle - rear tires climbed.

Top Bottom