EDGE of PIZEN

WJCO

Meme King
Looks great. Are you going to be able to plant before the snow?

I planted before that crazy January snow and even in low temps stuff came up like crazy after the melt even in really low temps.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’d be cool to take Pappy out there to get him back where he was born as a farm truck!

Cool tractor though lol
Are you maybe thinking of Rusty? He's our J2000. Pappy is our 3B :)
NIce, what will you be planting?
will you fence it in to keep the visitors out?
Cindy wants to plant just about anything and everything she can or at least, that will grow out here. Corn, tomatoes, peppers, radishes, you name it. As far as fencing goes, I don't know. It'd help to keep rabbits and maybe mice out but squirrels and birds, not so much. We may have to end up planting enough to "share" with the local critters.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! Looking forward to seeing it. I bet Cindy is happy to have one again. I feel like it’s been a while since she has had her garden going.
She's had a garden going at Carson City and in Boulder City and every year but the last few have been a lot smaller. Mainly because she just didn't have the time to tend to them. Now that things are a bit different, she's hoping to change that.
Looks great. Are you going to be able to plant before the snow?

I planted before that crazy January snow and even in low temps stuff came up like crazy after the melt even in really low temps.
Cindy typically starts seeds indoors and then transplants them once we're past the frosts. Some of the cold weather stuff she plants now though.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Are you maybe thinking of Rusty? He's our J2000. Pappy is our 3B :)

Cindy wants to plant just about anything and everything she can or at least, that will grow out here. Corn, tomatoes, peppers, radishes, you name it. As far as fencing goes, I don't know. It'd help to keep rabbits and maybe mice out but squirrels and birds, not so much. We may have to end up planting enough to "share" with the local critters.
Interested in what corn she is planning to grow. We thought about it but might wait a year or two. It sucks so much nitrogen from the soil and just building our beds this year, it probably would do well.

As for fence, you could look at electric netting. Heys have them with solar charger. Would keep rabbits out for sure but not sure on squirrels. It might. It’s what we use for our animals and has worked well. Don’t think we have to worry too much about garden pressure yet.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interested in what corn she is planning to grow. We thought about it but might wait a year or two. It sucks so much nitrogen from the soil and just building our beds this year, it probably would do well.
I just asked and she said she'll be planting Signature XR. Supposed to have a long shelf life and it only takes 72 days. As far as it being hungry, she said that she plans on rotating the crop with something that'll help to restore nitrogen.
As for fence, you could look at electric netting. Heys have them with solar charger. Would keep rabbits out for sure but not sure on squirrels. It might. It’s what we use for our animals and has worked well. Don’t think we have to worry too much about garden pressure yet.
Thanks for the tip on the fence. Gonna have to look into it for sure!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I just asked and she said she'll be planting Signature XR. Supposed to have a long shelf life and it only takes 72 days. As far as it being hungry, she said that she plans on rotating the crop with something that'll help to restore nitrogen.

Thanks for the tip on the fence. Gonna have to look into it for sure!
This is the one we use. You can get some better ones if you have power close by. We don’t do we need solar.

I plan to get either cyclops or speedrite when we get the house/shop done. Those put out some energy! Probably overkill for a little garden though lol

Ddays

Hooked
I never had good luck with the corn. The ears we'd get were small & we only got one or at most two ears per stalk. Even with a fence the damn coons got in it they wasted a lot of it. Little assholes take a couple bites out of each ear & waste the rest. We quit after a couple years of that. Also takes up a lot of real estate for the return.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is the one we use. You can get some better ones if you have power close by. We don’t do we need solar.

I plan to get either cyclops or speedrite when we get the house/shop done. Those put out some energy! Probably overkill for a little garden though lol
Awesome! Thanks for the link (y)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I never had good luck with the corn. The ears we'd get were small & we only got one or at most two ears per stalk. Even with a fence the damn coons got in it they wasted a lot of it. Little assholes take a couple bites out of each ear & waste the rest. We quit after a couple years of that. Also takes up a lot of real estate for the return.
Yeah, Cindy tried growing corn in Carson City and got similar results. She was kind of thinking that it was in part because of variety and also that she didn't grow a big enough field. I think she just wants to try it again being that a lot of our neighbors (big farms) grow it out in the area.

JT@623

Hooked
Yeah, Cindy tried growing corn in Carson City and got similar results. She was kind of thinking that it was in part because of variety and also that she didn't grow a big enough field. I think she just wants to try it again being that a lot of our neighbors (big farms) grow it out in the area.
Make your own corn liquor with it 👍

Top Bottom